Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you drive an auto 944??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My boyfriend can only drive automatics, with any expertise; he was scary driving my old Celica!

So I have thought of him getting an auto 944 in the future, and me a 951 in the same color would just be EVIL!

- Julie
Old 04-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
my friend's dad bought an auto new in 84. the handling was just as good as the stick, and his dad drove the car into manhattan every day. now he has an auto 928s4.

i drove it, the car wasnt rocket fast, but neither is the NA. i had an 85 rx7 at that time.

the handling was better, way better at speeds (was it the 215/15 vs 185/13s?) if driving the twisties is what floats your boat, and the price is right, go for it. remember the donut is a 600 part, and labor is big bucks.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:57 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree that a 944 has more potential than a miata. moded miatas thrash the heck out of everything on the track and AutoX. And they're cheaper to tweak, with a really really active aftermarket.

I may be the minority, but I think miatas are under-rated little cars that can be good little fun, cheap things to mod and play around with.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:58 PM
silicondigital
User

No, you will always wish you had a 5 speed. At least i did when i drove a auto 944 when i was 15.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts
Stick shift is engaging enough to promote driver attention. I wish they never made automatics. Not poopin' on anyone here, but I really believe cars need to be MORE involving to promote conpetence and safety versus BarcoLoungers on wheels.

Don't even get me started on cell phone's, rear-views used only for make-up or nose hair maintenance, and hunting around for the next section of the news paper...

I say take it all away! The power steering, windows, radios, heat! Let them scrape ice off the windows while they drive! That'll wake them up!

Uh, okay... They're telling me it's time for my medication. I'll be back.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:33 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

the auto would make a wonderful daily driver. buy ours! lol it seriously makes a great daily dirver...in ways i think it might make a better autoxer... if you had to just leave it in first, most courses dont get going much faster than that anyway! but if its just a daily driver, even better, all the refined handling of the 944 with the ease of an automatic tranny. i myself prefer the stick, but i did drive the auto for a semester at school, before we semi-restored it. its not as much of a dog as they'd all have you beleive, trust me i made sure of it, but it isn't QUITE as peppy as the stick. still, a great car for what it is... enjoy!
Old 04-22-2003, 03:52 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
NO. I would not drive an auto unless I can't drive a stick. The 944 n/a is slow enough without the auto to slow it further. I converted an auto to a stick in a car. You think a clutch is expensive to replace with labor. Try replacing the damper for the auto.... it cost about the same as a clutch. Get the stick car.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:49 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ERAU944:
<strong>the auto would make a wonderful daily driver. buy ours! lol it seriously makes a great daily dirver...in ways i think it might make a better autoxer... if you had to just leave it in first, most courses dont get going much faster than that anyway! but if its just a daily driver, even better, all the refined handling of the 944 with the ease of an automatic tranny. i myself prefer the stick, but i did drive the auto for a semester at school, before we semi-restored it. its not as much of a dog as they'd all have you beleive, trust me i made sure of it, but it isn't QUITE as peppy as the stick. still, a great car for what it is... enjoy!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Kudos for a great example. I NEED a 5 speed. I have driven the automatic(smooth and predictable) for 5 years and i is a GREAT daily driver.
This is exactly why I'm looking for an early 944 (manual steering and heavier aaa )for auto-x and DE. The auto is SO predictable you wouldnt believe-. its perfect for a daily driver. Hell- I need to squeak it in 2nd and I CAN!
Yes I have *********, and it's not about that- I'll arm wrestle anyone (Manual steering). I beat the **** outa my m22 Rockcrusher 455 Cu In 69 Grand Prix.
Its finesse. and I want some. I ran the 924S Auto on a track in Nebraska and I needed control. I hated to throw it into 2nd at 5K rpm but I knew it would take it. My car hasnt been over 5200 rpm ever, Buy my engine. Its an investment. NEVER REDLINED!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:53 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Automatics are great for people who are missing their left leg or right hand.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
this board is great. a guy asks a simple question for people with personal experience, and he gets wise *** answers, and social commentary.

pity how the quality of answers on this board is going downhill.

and Danger, as someone who owned six rx7s, i can attest from personal experience to the quality of the mazda product (some can argue superiority of mazda's products). at metrony autox's there are a few miata drivers that regularly get FTD, always beat the fastest 944, etc. in fact last years metrony pca autocrosser of the year is a miata driver.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

good point...I'm sure there are many P-car owners that are appreciate the fact they can drive a true sports car in spite of their extra challenges

and after you've driven a 'stick' in heavy traffic day after day for years and years...it's nice to enjoy not having to shift still drive a true sports car

anyone who can't understand that probably still has a lot of growing to do
Old 04-22-2003, 11:05 AM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Redline is there for a reason, dont be afraid of it.

Christian
Old 04-22-2003, 11:38 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Arrow

Not for a sports car especially not with 4 cylinders.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by CN:
<strong>Automatics are great for people who are missing their left leg or right hand.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Ironic you mention that- My G/F's son lost his left leg to bone cancer last year. He's 18 and borrowing my car for Prom in May. His prosthetic leg does allow him to use a clutch, but its very difficult.
Look up "Transrotationplasty" for how his prosthetesis works. Its amazing what they can do these days.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:46 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Tom R: I think the quality of the answers on this thread are perfectly fine. They are all related to driving an automatic, it's not like it turned into an anti-war thread or something. Come on, if I had asked the question, I'd be very happy with people talking about it like this.

Quick Reply: Would you drive an auto 944??????