Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving the clutch to the back of the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess a LOT of trial & error would be needed to get things right.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't a NA 924 starter turn backwards?

just sayin...
Old 05-05-2010, 04:34 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Ok, so there is indeed a starter that will spin backwards and mate to that flange. One from a 924, one from an Audi. At this point, the biggest problem is that I would be hanging the flywheel and pressure plate from the input shaft of the transmission and will probably destroy the bearing there at the input shaft by doing it. Some type of helper bearing will need to be put on the input shaft of the transmission to help carry the load, otherwise this would be pretty bolt up I think.

Oh! and of course the gear shift setup would have to be tinkered with and re-welded to the right location. And for those of us who own a lathe, we'd need to make an adapter to couple the crankshaft to the driveshaft.

Also, if the starter would be in the back, I would also move the battery to the back. This would be a fairly substantial weight shift!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a lot of work for no real benefit besides a really unique 944..
Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pjburges
Ok, so there is indeed a starter that will spin backwards and mate to that flange. One from a 924, one from an Audi. At this point, the biggest problem is that I would be hanging the flywheel and pressure plate from the input shaft of the transmission and will probably destroy the bearing there at the input shaft by doing it. Some type of helper bearing will need to be put on the input shaft of the transmission to help carry the load, otherwise this would be pretty bolt up I think.

Oh! and of course the gear shift setup would have to be tinkered with and re-welded to the right location. And for those of us who own a lathe, we'd need to make an adapter to couple the crankshaft to the driveshaft.

Also, if the starter would be in the back, I would also move the battery to the back. This would be a fairly substantial weight shift!
have you had your car on scales?

this is what i did to effect my weight balance:
-removed rear seat back
-removed power steering
-removed COMPLETE ac system
-removed evap system
-aluminum front brake calipers

after these minor changes, the car had a rear weight bias of 80lbs with 3/4 a tank of fuel and the spare tire and jack. i have since removed the spare in hopes that when i get the car around a 1/2 tank its balanced
Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The 944 is good the way it is. If you want to do something, install a 968 TT and flywheel/clutch setup, which has the access plate and 2-piece shaft.

Doing a clutch on a 944 is easier than on a mkII golf. More work than a Miata. It is what it is, and not worth changing IMHO. If you have the time and talent, there are other parts of this car that could use your attention.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Haha suggestions FRporscheman?

My car has all glass body panels (still looks stock), manual steering, no a/c (completely removed and custom altenator bracket) turbo brakes, custom coilovers (325lbs) with koni shocks. currently a 16v motor that is making my life hell. Oh and a stripped interior (insulation rear seats etc.) The only thing adding weight is a set of 17" boxster wheels. Oh and manual seats, locks, roof, a trimmed custom electrical system etc. a very simplified 944 in terms of electronics.

The clutch job would be much quicker with the clutch at the back, as you would only need to pull the transmission down and thats a 2 hour job once you're good at it.

The biggest challenge would be fabbing in an extra bearing and bracket for the input shaft of the transmission. Not sure the best way to go about doing that. I figured out how to cut OD splines on the shaft myself. I'll see if I can't get a drawing of what I want to do and post it up here to help clarify for some.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

TT shaft is hardened and I'm assuming the input shaft would be too. Why not swap the gearbox while you're at it - there are cheap 6 speed audi boxes to be had... cough cough...

I'm curious to see what exactly you plans are.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:13 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH! damn man!! gotta keep that on the DL!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:39 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Yeah after researching this a bit more, the best way to do this would be to use the Audi gearbox, because it has a pilot bearing surface already machined on the shaft, and the clutch slave and fork are on the gearbox side. That would be perfect because then I could make a bracket and bearing support to hold the flywheel / pressure plate on the torquetube side. This is def. a feasible idea! haha
Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

pj with that list of mods I can understand why you'd want to try this. But if your main goal is to simplify the clutch job and make it quicker, I suggest the 968 TT. I can change the clutch on a 968 in about 3 hours - no need to even touch the transmission, just remove the exhaust, starter, slave, access plate, and it all falls out.

How about a multilink rear suspension?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Like so....

This is in a 944 race car...up for sale too...
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2010, 06:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

without using a corvette rear end

Quick Reply: Moving the clutch to the back of the car