Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slamming a 944.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:00 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
John,

Your car isnt nearly as low as i imagine this guy wanting to go with his. We are probably on the same page...
Probably, much lower than I am and you need serious high spring rates (read car will ride HARD)... not to mention the inability to pass over some speed bumps with out doing so on an angle or loosing something underneath the car...

He could always just put on low profile tires, and get MUCH of the same effect..
Old 05-02-2010, 07:49 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Probably, much lower than I am and you need serious high spring rates (read car will ride HARD)... not to mention the inability to pass over some speed bumps with out doing so on an angle or loosing something underneath the car...

He could always just put on low profile tires, and get MUCH of the same effect..
10" 100 spoke wheels
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roman944
10" 100 spoke wheels
That would do it too!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I disagree, as have several M3 and 996 drivers... not to mention several other 951 drivers...

But then my ride isn't to everyone's taste...

Koni Yellow front coil overs, 300lb springs Konis set 3/4 firm (I was going back and forth between 3/4 and full firm...

Rear Koni Sports set full firm, with re-indexed stock tbars...
I just "slammed" my 95 M3 so it will be lower. The reason i did it is because it is a track car. it gets driven to the track and back. the ride sucks compared to stock. not sure of the handling.

Back on point. Two different cars. to slam a M3 i bought a set of PSS9 coilovers, replaced the 184k mile control arms and some other stuff while i was in there.

with cheap kmac camber plates i was able to get -2.8deg camber while the ball joints are not stressed like the 944 ball joints are.

For the rear, I removed the bolt holding the rear shock in, stepped on the rotor and pulled out the old spring. I then inserted the adjustable rear perch and then the rear spring. buttoned it up and put it on scales. adjusted, etc.

a lot easier, and a lot more predictable than slamming a 944.

again, with stock PSS9 springs and the PSS9s set to 6 (of 9) the ride is not very good. The car just makes it into my driveway without (and sometimes with) scraping. Every manhole cover is an obstacle as is every speed bump.

not the way I would want to drive daily. YMMV

If I didnt want coilovers I could have gotten shorter springs for the M3 and used them with a set of Konis. The amount of drop is published by the manufacturer and a lot of users.

so the comparison of "slamming" a M3 to "slamming" a 944 is not apples to apples. Jon spent a lot more $ and did a lot more work than I did.

The key is balance. Out of the box the M3 and 944 are balanced. I changed all four to keep the balance. So did Jon. doing it half arsed on a piece by piece budget will turn the car into a disaster IMHO. do it once, do it right.

PSS9s are about $1500, kmac plates are 350, control arms are about $450, rear shock mounts $100. so slamming my M3 with new parts would be at least $2500, and there are much better camber plates than the ones i got (for $210), better shocks than the ones i got for about $900 used......
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I just "slammed" my 95 M3 so it will be lower. The reason i did it is because it is a track car. it gets driven to the track and back. the ride sucks compared to stock. not sure of the handling.

Back on point. Two different cars. to slam a M3 i bought a set of PSS9 coilovers, replaced the 184k mile control arms and some other stuff while i was in there.

with cheap kmac camber plates i was able to get -2.8deg camber while the ball joints are not stressed like the 944 ball joints are.

For the rear, I removed the bolt holding the rear shock in, stepped on the rotor and pulled out the old spring. I then inserted the adjustable rear perch and then the rear spring. buttoned it up and put it on scales. adjusted, etc.

a lot easier, and a lot more predictable than slamming a 944.

again, with stock PSS9 springs and the PSS9s set to 6 (of 9) the ride is not very good. The car just makes it into my driveway without (and sometimes with) scraping. Every manhole cover is an obstacle as is every speed bump.

not the way I would want to drive daily. YMMV

If I didnt want coilovers I could have gotten shorter springs for the M3 and used them with a set of Konis. The amount of drop is published by the manufacturer and a lot of users.

so the comparison of "slamming" a M3 to "slamming" a 944 is not apples to apples. Jon spent a lot more $ and did a lot more work than I did.

The key is balance. Out of the box the M3 and 944 are balanced. I changed all four to keep the balance. So did Jon. doing it half arsed on a piece by piece budget will turn the car into a disaster IMHO. do it once, do it right.

PSS9s are about $1500, kmac plates are 350, control arms are about $450, rear shock mounts $100. so slamming my M3 with new parts would be at least $2500, and there are much better camber plates than the ones i got (for $210), better shocks than the ones i got for about $900 used......
But piece parting it can be SOOOOO fun too... make a change and hold on for dear life!

MOST of mine was done in one shot (car sat on stands in front of the house for 2 weeks..) but the end product is VERY fun to drive, makes it feel more planted (could have something to do with 255 in the front and 295 rears) but anyway..

I totally agree with tom, do it ONCE, much easier in the long term... gather pieces over months if you have to... it is MUCH easier to do it all in one shot than to keep taking it apart to add another piece, not to mention when dealing with suspension, the alignments add up quick!

My biggest current issue with my suspension is my local shop I had doing the alignment cant do it any more because my car is too low for their machine, and they don't have adapters to fit my wheels... so my next alignment will most likely be done at the P-car dealer...
Old 05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

John,
my suspension started with a simple change of motor mounts. the bolts holding the mount to the subframe tore through the subframe. pretty common with M3s.

while i was in there i changed the control arms.

while i was in there i changed the shocks

while i was in there... the car was on jackstands for four and a half months while i liesurely did this and some other stuff.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Tayloray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know. I really just want to do something different.

i think it would look really great with the wheels tucked up. that's just my opinion.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I was kind of joking. I don't know anyone here who "slams" a 944.

Actually we do.

Most 944 spec cars are "slammed" so to speak. We run 4" to the rocker panels. That is really low. Of course I would not run this low on the street.

In this photo remember also the tires are 1" shorter than stock.

Here after hopping a curb at full compression on the left side.

The hump in the center of the rocker is from missing the jack point little ( )
Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 PM
krystar
Drifting

yea but hondatech definition. yer not slammed unless yer scraping :P
Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M758
Actually we do.

Most 944 spec cars are "slammed" so to speak. We run 4" to the rocker panels. That is really low. Of course I would not run this low on the street.

In this photo remember also the tires are 1" shorter than stock.

Here after hopping a curb at full compression on the left side.

The hump in the center of the rocker is from missing the jack point little ( )
That is about where I am running my street car, and have little to no issues, I just have to take large bumps at an angle, and HAVE bottomed out on a few transitions before!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by M758
Actually we do.

To me, "slammed" is in part a mechanical concept, but mostly a sociological statement. A lowrider is slammed - it's a "look." A spec 944 car is set to optimum ride height for the job at hand -- lower Cg and better aero. Same result, but entirely different intent.

Sort of like how there's negative camber, and then there's this.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM
krystar
Drifting

yea there's so many fashion fads terms it's all a bit wierd.

slammed, poke, VIP, hellaflush, lowrider/mexi-poke (like that's diff from regular poke?), donk, tire stretched, etc etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Tayloray
Instructor

I want to go about as low as that spec car. i think that would loook amazing with the right fitment. and some te37 knockoffs.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Tayloray
Instructor

[/QUOTE]

That's what i'm going for, almost exactly, except my car. Not a 911.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 PM
mike10562004
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tayloray
That's what i'm going for, almost exactly, except my car. Not a 911.[/QUOTE]

thats real nice!

Quick Reply: Slamming a 944.