Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror Flop; Yes, I read 5 years' worth of posts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mirror Flop; Yes, I read 5 years' worth of posts

I searched and I'm almost there: driver's side flag mirror (late 944) is flopping. Hex bolt is out and mirror base is off. Can see large spring and wire running through the bolt. Tried using a needle-nosed pliers to tighten the bolt with excessive force downwards to no avail. Also tried taking off the mirror glass by tilting the mirror glass downwards and in, placing flat head into egg-shaped hole, and trying to push gear-shaped locking bayonet mechanism approximately 10 degrees, or 1/16th of an inch, counter-clockwise, to no avail (wouldn't budge at all).

Here's the question(s):
1. Do I need to get the mirror glass off to re-thread the bolt, if the base is already off, to remove the mirror to work on it? I'm guessing no, according to what I've read posted in the past.
2. If I do, any chance someone loctited my mirror glass in place? Is there a trick to moving the bayonet mechanism, or is mine just stuck? And will force break it?
3. If I don't, any new suggestions or things that work when the wires are still in place and the mirror is still attached to the car by the wires (but not by the base)? Any good wrenches or pliers that fit in there to push hard?

The old link to Aero 968 mirror conversion is disabled.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:55 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed 968 mirrors on my car. The glass release can be a little tricky on the flags.
Aim the glass to the farthest down postition than try move the locking tab.
Once the tab is unlocked you may still need to gently pry the glass out.

Don't know if this helps, but here is another link.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...68_mirrors.htm
Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Peter 642
Racer

Don't know if this helps, but here is another link.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...68_mirrors.htm
Ya, in this case he cuts the wires, which I'm looking to avoid. Did you do the same?
It's probably just grunt force that needs to be applied, and I just need to push and turn, hard. Thanks; I'll give it another go.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

On mine the threads on the flag side had stripped, which meant there was no way to thread the dang bolt. Sounds like you may be in a similar boat.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 352 Posts

Greg, I have a set of 968 mirrors to install. Once I do, my flag mirrors will be available. Want them?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doc, I found a replacement flag years ago so I'm all set. Got a quote from Sunset for 968 mirrors for ~$285, just might have to go that direction myself.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 352 Posts

I've been reading all the threads on installing the 968 mirrors, sounds like a PITA. I also don't know if I have all the necessary parts.

I need to get with someone who's done it and go over what I have and what I need...
Old 04-28-2010, 11:33 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I cut the harness. Once I had the glass out of the flags, I found there is a connector inside. I soldered and shrink wrapped the the splices for the 968 mirrors.

The wire colors are different between the flags and aero mirrors.
I wrote down the colors for the splice. The one listed in the pelican link are not correct.
I'm out of town for awhile, but can post them when I get home.

Doc, if you don't gt yours on in the next week, shot me a pm and I'll send you the wire splice colors. This way I won't forget.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Brute force FTW. Ring finally gave and the mirror is off. Thanks to all.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
mrconkerd
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floppy flag mirror

Peter 642, I am having the same issue here, specifically with my driver side mirror as well. Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue? As gregeast mentioned, I figured my hardware was also stripped, as the bolt which mounts the base molding (the part that attaches to the car via the hex fastener) to the mirror does not have threads down to the bottom of the bolt. I've got a new fastener coming which I found on eBay, although it looks the same as what I've got on my car.

Can someone confirm the fact that these threads should not continue to the bottom of the bolt?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?
Yep. Fixed.

Can someone confirm the fact that these threads should not continue to the bottom of the bolt?
Confirmed. Mine did not, IIRC.

The process isn't terrible (now that it's over). Removing the base is probably the easiest piece of the project. Removing the mirror itself is harder; you need to turn gently but forcefully counterclockwise. I actually tilted the mirror up rather than down, exposing the locking ring, which I then applied a screwdriver to.

My wiring had become brittle, and at least two wires snapped when trying to remove/replace the flag. Getting the wires through the flag isn't terrible, but it was tough to get them back through when done. The wires end up making a pretty thick cord, and as you know, the internal diameter of the bolt is small. I ended up re-crimping wires, which only sort of worked. One day I'll need to just cut/re-crimp and re-wire the mirror.

Threading the bolt requires gargantuan strength and either the proper cheesehead (triple square) wrench, or a flat head large enough. I admit that I went with the flat head. The spring works: you need to seriously force it in. For a while I assumed my thread was bare, because I was going nowhere; it's the spring. Requires large ape-like force applied.

I have no idea if that helps at all, but Rennlist and the posts here got my mirror back on. That, and my gargantuan strength.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:30 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to clarify, it was the threads in the base on mine that were stripped, not the threads on the hollow bolt.

Glad you got it fixed Peter.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Peter 642
Racer

Ya; by the way Greg, your interior is unbelievable. Can you share your secret?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just vision and belief in the creative process. LOL! Or, more accurately, a fair chunk of change and a lot of work.

If you do a search on my name you'll find lots of interior threads so I won't bore everyone here, I'm already a borderline interior attention *****...

Quick Reply: Mirror Flop; Yes, I read 5 years' worth of posts