Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration from rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration from rear

'88 944 N/A. driving around town everything is fine. at highwat speeds, starting around 55, I get a bad vibration from the rear. feels like I'm riding on a washboard. weird thing is after a few miles it goes away. jacked up the car, removed the tires and spun it till I got the vibration (60MPH). that eliminated the tires as the problem, any ideas as to what else it could be. there is a slight amount of lateral play where the axle goes into the trans but to me it didn't seem excessive. should there be any play?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a bad CV joint?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be torque tube bearings? Mine were bad and it shook at around 3000 rpms. Shifter was shaking.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

anyway to determine what or which it might be with out dropping the trans?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the rear end up on ramps, look at the CV boots closely. Does it look like any cracks and grease coming out? Grab each axle with your hands and try to rotate it back and forth. Does it feel like there is any sloppiness in the joints? A bit of lateral play is normal. You could also try and re-index the driveshaft coupler. I would mark the present location first though so you can put it back to the original position if it makes things worse.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:32 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

OK, does this make sense or is it wishful thinking. Took the car out this morning (short ride)after getting all the advice. Trying to see if it vibrated when coasting or just on the throttle, in turns or straights etc. It vibrated pretty much constantly. As I'm coming to a stop and let off the brakes I notice the car doesn't coast to a stop but sort of stops abruptly like the emergency brake is sticking or something. I take the car home, the driver side wheel is real hot. Pull the brake and the caliper is stuck. Clean it all up and re-assemble, it works great. Take the car back out for a 1 hour road test and the main vibration is gone. Just a slight one now which could be just tire balancing. Also notice when just sitting if I rev it, just before it gets back to an idle the engine vibrates for a second. Thinking motor mounts, I'll be checking that next. Anyway, after that rant, is it possible it was the brakes. I guess time will tell.

Quick Reply: vibration from rear