Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While I'm at the vacuum hoses

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010 | 05:10 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Default While I'm at the vacuum hoses

I'll be diving into the vacuum hoses and venturi delete finally. I've been putting it off for years and amazingly the car still runs wonderfully. Anyway, without the old pelican parts diagrams in front of me, I can't think of what else I will come across that should be changed out. I'm a "while I'm there" kind of guy and like to change out everything I touch while doing a job. What other hoses, rubber, etc. will I have access to that I should change. I can picture a few things that I want to change, but without the parts diagrams I'm at a loss for part numbers.

Anyone have a link to decent exploded parts diagrams. I hate using the Porsche site.

Thanks, Josh
Old 04-30-2010 | 05:58 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

With the intake off I'd check every hose - replace anything you can find that hasn't been already.

I'd also give the ISV a good once over...clean it out...replace it if it's problematic. Check the ISV support bracket too - the rubber gets crusty...mine broke the first time I had the intake off and was pushing around on it just trying to get the ISV out of it.

With the intake off - good opportunity to get your injectors off and send them off to witchhunter or the likes for cleaning/flow matching. I think the turnaround is a few days or so.

As for hoses, I just took off everything I wanted to change and went to my local parts store (Pep Boys) and had them find hoses that matched...many were longer than I needed, but the bends were in the right places so I bought them and cut them to size at home. Much easier/cheaper than buying online. Be careful with those silicone hoses that in places that have fairly sharp bends...stay with the molded rubber hoses for those spots.

I took the time with me intake off to get it soda blasted and I cleaned and repainted it with high temp grey paint. Looks great.

Another thing worth doing is rebuilding the throttle body - Arnworx has a nice kit (can pick it up on Paragon now I think too...) with all the new screws and gaskets you need to reseal everything. It comes with a 13 page 'how-to' with pics so it's pretty straightforward. Takes an hour or so and well worth it.

I dunno what your clamps look like - but get new ones if you have any that are ragged under the intake. Always nice to have a few extra on hand just in case. I got these killer ones that you have to ratchet down from Lindsey on the intercooler pipe hoses...they look way better and those bad boys aren't coming off.

That's all I can think of...maybe the DME temp sensor and knock sensor while your in there if you want to just change them out, but if they were problematic you'd most likely know about it...

Have fun!!

Oh, one thing that helps too - I read about this the first time I was pulling my intake...someone made the recommendation to cut on the flange that connects the dipstick tube to the intake. This way, you can just keep the screw in and slide it down instead of having to get it lined up perfectly and thread the screw in cramped quarters....worked well for me. You'll also have some fun getting that screw out of the front of the intake just above the intercooler pipe coming out of the turbo. Have fun with that one.
Old 05-01-2010 | 02:17 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I've owned this car for 15+ years so this isn't the first time I've had to do this. I have most of the hoses and the arnworx kit. I was hoping for some part numbers for various other hoses other than the small ID vacuum hoses and the venturi delete hoses.

Good idea about the dipstick tube. I'll look at that.

Cheers, Josh
Old 05-01-2010 | 06:04 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Oh...injectors were cleaned/balanced/replaced by witchhunter a few years back and look to be in great shape. Good thought. There's definitely things I need to replace. Now I just have to find part numbers. Thanks for the thoughts.

JOsh
Old 05-01-2010 | 08:50 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

you can find the hoses you need using the PET online: http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...88_KATALOG.pdf

Your best bet is to pick up the silicon hose set from Paragon/Lindsey, etc... and redo all of those hard plastic lines with the silicon stuff. There's a venturi delete hose set on Paragon/Lindsey as well - comes with the 3 rubber hoses you need. The rest, just take them to your parts store and have them match them up with whatever they can find that works.
Old 05-02-2010 | 02:59 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

I've got the venturi delete kit and the lindsey vac line kit. I replaced all the hard lines 10+ years ago with regular vac tubing and it is brittle again.

I hate porsche's PET. Pelican's version was much better. Thanks for the ideas.

Josh
Old 05-02-2010 | 03:18 PM
CPR
Race Director

heater control valve and hoses, fuel lines (if old), new TPS (highly recommend if still the OEM), new ICV+hoses. Have you done the venturi delete?

And a 4 port muli-tap vacuum mount is a good idea....instead of 3 or 4 tee fitiings.

I can PM you my parts list w/part #'s I used last year when this was done if that is helpful.
Old 05-02-2010 | 04:54 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Thanks CPR. I think I have just about everything you mentioned on hand. I'll have to check my records and see about the TPS.

Does anyone have a Cycling Valve to spair? Mine crumbled when I started to replace the lines. Also, is the hose from the cycling valve to the waste gate just normal vac hose? What is the connection at the wastegate. It seems like I've replaced this in the past but it is brittle and should be changed now.

Have y'all done the AOS seals while doing this job? Seems to make sense while I've got so much much out of the way, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it without removing the turbo?

Thanks for your input guys.

Quick Reply: While I'm at the vacuum hoses