Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a street tire no good anymore for DE

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post When is a street tire no good anymore for DE

I have been doing drivers ed for the last three years. The most i have done in one year is 5 events and i am still learning. Unfortunately in the Northeast it snows in the winter. I have a separate set of tires on a separate set of wheels just for the track. Is a certain tread depth the sign, like down to the wear bars. What if the side walls are worn but there is still about 4 to 5/32" of tread depth.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:09 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I run my R-compound tires to the cord. First Kumho Victoracers and now Toyo RA-1 (if I ever get to the cord ).

For street tires They are "worn" when down to the wear bars, but a probably still good on the track until you see cord. If you see cord on the outside edge, but have plenty of tread on the inside then you need to adjust your camber setting or air pressure to get more even wear. You could also remount on the other side of the rim to on most tires to increase life.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:29 PM
eugene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually run them down to the cord.

M758, Which is better ? Kumho or Toyo ?

Thanks.

Eugene.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Eugene Hahn:
<strong>I usually run them down to the cord.

M758, Which is better ? Kumho or Toyo ?

Thanks.

Eugene.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">For track duty I like the Toyo better.
Toyo Lasts longer I have 8 track days on my first set. I had been getting only 5 days from my Victoracers.
Toyo's are also more progressive at the limit. This means I can carry a drift much better in the Toyo than Kumho. In the Kumho the car would spin.

The toyo's are also very consistant at during runs and over the duration of the tire. More so that the Kumho.

I also ran the Toyo's in the rain (new set full tread) and they worked very well. Never ran the Kumho's in the rain since rain is so rare in the desert, but I don't think they would have worked as well.

The Victoracers might be fast for a couple laps by a few tenths, but I don't think they will be as good over their entire life.

For autocross however I recommend Kumho's since they heat-up faster and consistency over a session is not a big deal.

Quick Reply: When is a street tire no good anymore for DE