Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 owner. What have I got myself into?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New 944 owner. What have I got myself into?

Would like to say Hi Never owned or worked on a Porsche before. Have worked on lot of Brit cars like Triumphs and Jensen Interceptor. I have to say that the 944, even with 175,000 miles on it, handles far better than any other sports car that I have driven in the past. I traded my IMCA dirt modified for the 86 944 N/A that I currently have. It has had a lot of suspension upgrades in the past. The thing that it never had were new control arms. I just took them off this morning and discovered that they are trash. The ball shaft contacted the top of the control arms so they are out of round. Just ordered some new OEM ones from Vertex. Any other things that I should buy? Looks like the eccentric bushings are no good. Think I'll replace the swaybar bushings too. Other major task will be to replace the leaky steering rack. Are there any other things that should be replaced in the power steering? I've got a new reservior and hose from the res to pump. Was thinking that I should get the banjo bolts and washers for all the fittings? Want to get this car back on the road My other vehicle is a 99 Silvarado. It is not nearly as fun on the switchbacks going to town.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:27 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if it still has the banjo bolt on the line going from the res- to the pump, get the update that replaces this with a threaded fitting that goes into the pump, and a shortened line. Eliminates many leaks. Also replace the crush washers on the high pressure banjo to the rack. WHile its apart, blow some compressed air through the power steering cooler loop that usually gets plugged with junk.

oh and if you are replacing the a-arms get some updated 968 castor blocks that have less rubber to move around on the rear of the arm.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A BIG WELCOME TO THE FORUM and the Money Pit Club. Great group of Gents on here and more than willing to help each other out. The SEARCH function right above the ads is what I use to bring up past posts of problems and solutions.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 04-16-2010, 01:34 AM
dv8nxs944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might wanna do belts and rollers if they haven't been done recently or you don't know when they were done last.

Quick Reply: New 944 owner. What have I got myself into?