Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My sun roof gear replacement write up

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 01:23 AM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post My sun roof gear replacement write up

I'd thought I post my experience with this since there seems to be quite a lot of confusion about the gears.

Since my gears simply just stripped out I was able to replace them, realign the arms, and be good to go. I didn't need to check switches or mess with the clutch.

This may not work for everybody, but if similar problems are present then it might be a quick fix.

This is just copy and pasted from my site (which has a few pictures) located here...

<a href="http://www.marsmonkey.com/images/sunroof%20gears/highres/index.html" target="_blank">sun roof gear replacement</a>

------------------------------------

Here's how I was able to very easily fix my sun roof gears in my 1991 944S2.

My sun roof gears starting stripping out so the arms would stop and start moving as parts of the gears with teeth left made contact with the arms. Before this the sun roof worked fine for months from when I bought the car. With the obvious motion and sound coming from the gears themselves I knew that the 3 switches were working fine and that the slip clutch didn't need any adjustment.

I've read the replacement procedure that's typed out in great detail on Pelican's site. Those instructions make replacing a timing belt seem like child's play. So going off of that and using some common sense I was able to get my sun roof working using only one set of gears my first time.

With the replacement gears in hand I proceeded to remove the liner around the rear of the roof opening. That will expose the gear boxes. Since I had both gears go at the same time I couldn't use the good gear to reference. But no matter. With the help of a friend you should be able to get this done in under an hour.

I was basically able to pull the arms right out of the boxes. Once apart I could see most of the teeth of each gear laying in the grease. Make sure you locate the metal washers, two per gear. Snap those back on the new gear before install.

Next I turned the key to ignition switch II. Then I installed the roof. Now that is done when there is no arms or gears installed. Then push the down side of the sun roof switch to close the roof (The locked position). It should stop if all the switches are working correctly (which mine were). Then with the roof all the way down I took one of the arms and hooked it inside the roof and then put the arm into the gear box were it would sit normally. Make the arm tight up against the plastic of the box and also holding down the roof. While I was holding the arm in place I pushed up on the roof and made sure there wasn't any play. Then with the arm in that exact position you can mark the number of teeth. For me it was the second complete tooth that was flush with the gear box. Then once marked carry that marking over to the other gear. After that grease up the gears. Install them and find your markings. That's it. Just install the roof liner and enjoy.

The first time I went to the end of each movement I did it very carefully and with quick short bursts. But all was well and the motor stopped before I heard any sounds like gears being stripped. The roof is completely locked down in the locked position and does not have any air leaks at speed.

For my gear replacement I didn't even need to open up the sun roof motor assembly. Nor did I need to mess with the clutch. But reading through the Pelican procedure it has you tearing up everything.

But again this was just my car. My gears were just stripped. The switches and clutch were fine. So simply replacing the gears and setting the arms back to the proper height with the roof in was a pretty sure fire way to fix it.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:35 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have done this procedure a bunch of times. One of my gears is missing a few teeth and they don't have anymore gears at Porsche till next week, so the left side keep closing in a more "open" position as the gear slips. I have had to take it all apart and re-align the left gear twice now.

All I can add is that it appears that the magic "two teeth showing" rule is basically the rule of thumb in lining up arms. I had it originally set at "three teeth showing" and it wouldn't lock down quite as tight, so I adjusted my microswitces and found that you can't move them enough to really make anything but the "two teeth showing" rule work.

Also, when we say "two teeth showing" (and Raceit can back me up here), we mean that there should be two teeth on the lifting arm exposed to the eye. You can still see the third tooth, but it's half covered. Was it the same with you, Raceit??

Oh - and another tip....
Instead of installing the roof to set the arms in the correct position you can do all this with the roof out. Take the roof out, put the key in postion II and simply stick your finger in the sensor between the visors. Then the car thinks the roof is installed. Then set the arms in the "closed" position and proceed with gear replacement and arm "teeth" setting. Just a lil' "step saver".

Ya Raceit - your write-up is wayyyy easier than the Pelican one. I showed that to my friends and said, "Wanna help me do this?". They said they would rather swap out an engine!!!

944S Boyeee
Old 09-20-2002, 03:23 PM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. It will come in real handy when I do mine sometime soon.

Quick Reply: My sun roof gear replacement write up