Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Naked 26yo german.... w/ PIXXXS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:24 AM
techartisan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Naked 26yo german.... w/ PIXXXS

She started out silver.....faded...peeling....metal showing through in places....Most of the car had been repainted silver 6 or 7 times from what we can tell....just scuff and spray over and over, over the years.

The strangest discovery....both of my quarter panels were coated with anywhere from 1/2" -1/3" of bondo from the door seam to just behind the wheel......I knew this when I bought the car....what suprised me was that the passenger panel had been worked with a hammer a bit but only in an area the size of my palm.....the rest of it was "blending"????? I can only assume that the matching bondo on the drivers side was there for aesthetics....because there were 3 hammer taps beneath just as much bondo as the passenger side..

Last edited by techartisan; 04-09-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better protect the children.

Looks good
Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

lol
Old 04-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope you are going to pull a lot of stuff before painting - door handles, mirrors, quarter windows, taillights, bumper pads, foglights, hatch - all come off pretty easily!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B
Hope you are going to pull a lot of stuff before painting - door handles, mirrors, quarter windows, taillights, bumper pads, foglights, hatch - all come off pretty easily!
That's the truth. Here's what mine looked like right before going to the body shop:

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM
techartisan
Racer

Originally Posted by Josh B
GEE REALLY? I thought they were permanently attached. This changes everything. LMAO I mean seriously who would strip all the paint from a car and...what did you think??? Id just mask them off? Well allow me to put minds to ease. The tail and running lights had just been put back on when I realized I needed a shot. The bumper pads were put back on after I stripped the bumpers a week or two ago. The hatch will be removed and resealed sometime prior to paint. This car is at least a month away from the booth. Possibly longer depending on how busy work keeps me.

Ill be "streaking" around Phoenix whenever necessary until then.... Between the dry clime, and galvanized panels.....Im only worried that Ill convince myself to just polish and clear coat the metal.

Originally Posted by CurtP
That's the truth. Here's what mine looked like right before going to the body shop:
Yep thats gutted and dismembered alright...morbid....but not stripped.

I thought pixxXchange was supposed to be more tit for tat.....am I the only one with NAKED FRAULEIN shots?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:52 PM
cb944
Advanced

man, I wish I'd got some pics of my 944 when it went in to be repainted now... that had some seriously bad paint. I never got to see it with it all removed, I just got the car back looking fresh and shiny! The paint guy had to take off a lot more than he figured - previous bad paint jobs had left a LOT of paint that needed to be stripped prior to repainting.

That bondo.. do you have any close-up pics? Do you think maybe someone hit something on the passenger side, then decided to match up the driver's side after hammering the passenger side into shape? It wouldn't really make much sense, but maybe it bugged the PO if the passenger side looked slightly different.

Chris.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:31 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by techartisan
GEE REALLY? I thought they were permanently attached. This changes everything. LMAO I mean seriously who would strip all the paint from a car and...what did you think??? Id just mask them off? Well allow me to put minds to ease. The tail and running lights had just been put back on when I realized I needed a shot. The bumper pads were put back on after I stripped the bumpers a week or two ago. The hatch will be removed and resealed sometime prior to paint. This car is at least a month away from the booth. Possibly longer depending on how busy work keeps me.

Ill be "streaking" around Phoenix whenever necessary until then.... Between the dry clime, and galvanized panels.....Im only worried that Ill convince myself to just polish and clear coat the metal.

Yep thats gutted and dismembered alright...morbid....but not stripped.

I thought pixxXchange was supposed to be more tit for tat.....am I the only one with NAKED FRAULEIN shots?
Go straight delorean style
Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by techartisan

Um, perhaps I am wrong, but I do believe galvanizing is a process of coating metal, to protect it from rust. This means if you sand a 944 down to bare metal, you are sanding off the galvanization.

I have owned a "california car" 924 that a previous owner sanded to bare metal, then primed and painted (probably primed too late, and/or crappy paint job) but the panels rusted underneath the paint, and turned the whole car to absolute ****. Total annihilation.

Be careful!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 AM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep. Galvanization is just a zinc coating on the metal. The zinc gets oxidized instead of the steel underneath, as zinc is a better reducing agent.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 AM
cb944
Advanced

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Um, perhaps I am wrong, but I do believe galvanizing is a process of coating metal, to protect it from rust. This means if you sand a 944 down to bare metal, you are sanding off the galvanization.

I have owned a "california car" 924 that a previous owner sanded to bare metal, then primed and painted (probably primed too late, and/or crappy paint job) but the panels rusted underneath the paint, and turned the whole car to absolute ****. Total annihilation.
.. this is quite correct AFAIK and a good point. With both my 944 and 924 I was careful to buy something which I felt had not been sanded down to metal.. difficult to know, for sure, but in the UK I've seen bare-metal resprays on these Porsches and they have rusted badly very quickly as a result of sanding to bare metal.

That said, when I had my 944 resprayed, I brought this up with the paint guy and he told me that galvanisation was similar to just spraying with any decent anti-corrosive primer, like a zinc oxide primer. I have resprayed an entire car myself before, but I had no idea if he was correct tbh.. Wherever possible he left the originial galvanisation and paint sub-coats on and so there weren't many places where he sprayed primer onto the bare metal. The results were stunning and I have had very little problem with rust, just a small part has started to show at the bottom of one front wing - this is about four years since the respray.

My advice, based on that, is to just be careful what type of primer you use and spend plenty of time in preparation for the top coats... but I have a feeling if you've just rubbed your car down to bare metal, you know that already
Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

You're basically right. All that really NEEDS to be done is just sand what is necessary. Sanding down to bare metal in places that don't need that is considerably overkill, IMO.
I sanded, primed, and painted my own car a couple years ago, and the whole process took me about 2 weeks (working on the car for a couple hours each day after school and work). Leave the month long paint jobs for full restorations of a car worth more than the paintjob. And if the fenders were that f-ed up, why not just get some used fenders that have not been so banged up?

Here's how mine went over. Granted I cut a few corners to get it done quicker, but alas it was done in 2 weeks, all done by me, and NO worries about rust.

Not trying to disprove the OP, just comparing really.

1. Sanded the whole car, only what was necessary. As you can see a few spots were scruffed to bare metal.

2. Any bare metal or bondo showing was primed immediately.

3. Painting - I cut a few corners by not removing a couple things, but I was renting the paint booth on a very limited amount of time.

4. Final product!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:50 AM
techartisan
Racer

Originally Posted by carlege
Go straight delorean style
sadly shes just not clean enough to seriously keep her bare...besides every a girl deserves a lil modesty. I have gotten some really interesting looks driving her sans paint though..

Originally Posted by cb944
The paint guy had to take off a lot more than he figured - previous bad paint jobs had left a LOT of paint that needed to be stripped prior to repainting.
vs

You're basically right. All that really NEEDS to be done is just sand what is necessary. Sanding down to bare metal in places that don't need that is considerably overkill, IMO.
=

Going down to bare metal is not necessarily essential when you have a 26 year old car thats been badly repainted a dozen times. When that car has spent most of its 26 years in phoenix arizona...and the metal is already exposed in places....when the right pressured rub can "flake" off paint to steel....NAKED IS NECESSARY.

Originally Posted by cb944
That bondo.. do you have any close-up pics? Do you think maybe someone hit something on the passenger side, then decided to match up the driver's side after hammering the passenger side into shape? It wouldn't really make much sense, but maybe it bugged the PO if the passenger side looked slightly different.
I didnt think to take pics....I rarely do, usually too focused on what I need to do to consider it....but Yeah as silly as it sounds I think it was just what you said "balancing".....I think he did a **** job pounding a dent went overboard trying to blend with bondo....then either couldnt deal with the imbalance or possibly....I hate to say it....I think he liked the somewhat rounder look...when I first saw the car I thought they were glass panels....till I tapped it...Im thrilled with what I found...I can lead the rumble out of the passenger.

And if the fenders were that f-ed up, why not just get some used fenders that have not been so banged up?
Typo I wrote fenders but meant quarter panels...either way you missed the point... they werent "so banged up"...they were over bondo'd..But any bondo is too much IMHO The passenger side isnt even bad enough that I feel justified in removing it to roll out the texture. The drivers side is so close I might be able to draw the few divets without trouble, torch or tools.

Here's how mine went over. Granted I cut a few corners to get it done quicker, but alas it was done in 2 weeks, all done by me, and NO worries about rust.
Not trying to disprove the OP, just comparing really.
No clue what you could be disproving...hell not sure what your trying to prove.

Your paint looks decent from here. Im sure the half dozen times someone repainted my car it looked decent as well. Id love to have seen the third paint job....he went GOLD.

Some people are more motivated to save every penny and bust out their rollers.....some run for the rattlecan...

You, My cars PO, Sheib, MAACO and quite a few others are fine with scuff and spray......

Who knows I just might pick up your car, 3 or 4 owners from now, and wonder how many layers deep...how many BONUS pounds of paint Im hauling around....and then Ill have your fraulein spread naked on my floor...dont worry...ill send you pixxs

Modern paints, primers, AC's etc when used and applied properly are probably better protection then counting on a thin layer of 20+ year old zinc......but for the peanuts in the gallery...did no one notice the immense field of dust around my car? That would be Baking soda...and lots of it.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

If the car was simply soda blasted, it would not have removed any galvanization.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I turn 26 today. Except when I strip, I don't look as good as that. My handles don't come off.

Quick Reply: Naked 26yo german.... w/ PIXXXS