Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Naked 26yo german.... w/ PIXXXS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcquito
If the car was simply soda blasted, it would not have removed any galvanization.
I've been looking at soda blasting because the car needs to go back to the body shop. I've been reading a lot of negative things about soda blasting on a car. For instance: http://spi.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=156&mforum=spi

I'm seeing more and more negative results using soda as a blasting media (at least on cars).
Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
I've been looking at soda blasting because the car needs to go back to the body shop. I've been reading a lot of negative things about soda blasting on a car. For instance: http://spi.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=156&mforum=spi

I'm seeing more and more negative results using soda as a blasting media (at least on cars).
I read a few posts - Personally, I don't have any experience with soda blasting. I know it doesn't remove the galvanized layer, but it seems to add a bit of trouble in the long run. For my own projects, I have used glass bead blasting which works great compared to sand blasting. Sand blasting is very violent and can profile the metal by removing small bits making it look porous. The glass beads are much better to work with and only remove what's necessary.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM
cb944
Advanced

Originally Posted by techartisan
Going down to bare metal is not necessarily essential when you have a 26 year old car thats been badly repainted a dozen times. When that car has spent most of its 26 years in phoenix arizona...and the metal is already exposed in places....when the right pressured rub can "flake" off paint to steel....NAKED IS NECESSARY.
I've not had experience of those kind of conditions on a car's paint... like I said, I figure you must know what you're doing to strip the whole car.. apologies, I should have said this in my earlier post, but I do actually admire the attention to detail you're going to there.

I think the point was that people (myself included) thought you had rubbed off the galvinisation but you thought you hadn't, so we were just trying to helpfully point out something... something that wasn't actually true, given that it sounds like the galvinisation is still there. Even if it wasn't, it wouldn't be a big deal for the right person. I think a lot of people just don't have the knowledge/time/space to bring a car down to bare metal and then professionally repaint it with the same level of rust prevention that it had before. These old 944s hold up remarkably well against rust in my opinion and I believe it is a lot to do with that galvinised layer. I see rust happening in general where the bare metal has come through and not been repainted properly.

Originally Posted by techartisan
Modern paints, primers, AC's etc when used and applied properly are probably better protection then counting on a thin layer of 20+ year old zinc......but for the peanuts in the gallery...did no one notice the immense field of dust around my car? That would be Baking soda...and lots of it.
I didn't actually notice all that dust... I hope it all goes well from here on! Looking forward to seeing the paint back on.

Chris.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM
techartisan
Racer

Originally Posted by Marcquito
I read a few posts - Personally, I don't have any experience with soda blasting. I know it doesn't remove the galvanized layer, but it seems to add a bit of trouble in the long run. For my own projects, I have used glass bead blasting which works great compared to sand blasting. Sand blasting is very violent and can profile the metal by removing small bits making it look porous. The glass beads are much better to work with and only remove what's necessary.
Originally Posted by CurtP

I have seen no negative results in blasting cars with soda...its bite is even less then glass beads....and its thermal energy transfer in significantly lower then even plastic media.

I have seen negative results in painting cars that have been soda blasted....but I generally would attribute that to USER ERROR....

SODA does leave a film. Many people think they are trying to remove the physical powder film when cleaning for paint....its a chemical film you really need to be concerned with...

Rinsing wont remove it. That other threads comment "The only way to neutralize this film is WARM water with SOAP. " is contrary to what Ive been led to believe.....in fact Ive been told soap can actually make matters worse.

Depanel, air blast, clean rinse, vinegar water rinse, clean rinse...forced air dry....then proceed with prep like any other bare metal project.

Quick Reply: Naked 26yo german.... w/ PIXXXS