Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only my left rear tire is rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 931GT
+1 on adding more negative camber. Just take it into an alignment shop and ask them to increase the negative camber in the rear until it doesn't rub anymore.
What would that cost you think? What are the effects on my suspension capabilities, etc...
Old 04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Hi I also had the very same problem, 944.
But mine was cured with a tire change. brought some 18" wheels mainly the tires sold the wheels, michaliine pilot sports, but were 265/40/18 n rated and after constantly checking the tire size on a tire calculator, I took these for granted would be right. Wrong! Basically if u changes the overall diameter of your wheels u will throw your Speedo out.

Now the problem on mine was rubbing on left side (passenger side / rhd car) even if I had a passenger on the right. It rub about 8-11 o’clock were the car would squat under acceleration. Or over large bumps. would cut slightly in 2 the tire leaving a thin line, plus leave black rubber marks on the fender lip.

i replaced mine with 255/35/18" and cured it.

Fender lip is a drip point 4 water, I think. could be wrong. you can roll it quite easy but it may crack the paint. I rolled on side just 2 be safe that it wouldn’t cut in 2 my new tires. I didn’t heat the paint and it did crack. Which wasn’t a problem as I was getting the car re spray.

As you have just had the car re sprayed I would sirguessted cutting some off the fender away, but do both sides if you’re worried about how it will look. Not that anyone other than your self would notice.
Also anther point thats been brought to my attention is that 18” wheel require 968 castor mounts and ruins handling? I cant say i noticed a great lost but i did change mine quite soon in the owner ship of the car.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Hi I also had the very same problem, 944.
But mine was cured with a tire change. brought some 18" wheels mainly the tires sold the wheels, michaliine pilot sports, but were 265/40/18 n rated and after constantly checking the tire size on a tire calculator, I took these for granted would be right. Wrong! Basically if u changes the overall diameter of your wheels u will throw your Speedo out.

Now the problem on mine was rubbing on left side (passenger side / rhd car) even if I had a passenger on the right. It rub about 8-11 o’clock were the car would squat under acceleration. Or over large bumps. would cut slightly in 2 the tire leaving a thin line, plus leave black rubber marks on the fender lip.

i replaced mine with 255/35/18" and cured it.

Fender lip is a drip point 4 water, I think. could be wrong. you can roll it quite easy but it may crack the paint. I rolled on side just 2 be safe that it wouldn’t cut in 2 my new tires. I didn’t heat the paint and it did crack. Which wasn’t a problem as I was getting the car re spray.

As you have just had the car re sprayed I would sirguessted cutting some off the fender away, but do both sides if you’re worried about how it will look. Not that anyone other than your self would notice.
Also anther point thats been brought to my attention is that 18” wheel require 968 castor mounts and ruins handling? I cant say i noticed a great lost but i did change mine quite soon in the owner ship of the car.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you driven the car with a passenger yet? You may get more rubbing on the drivers side and rubbing on the passenger side with 2 people in the car.

If it's just kissing the fenders, I'd add more negative camber before you cut or roll anything.

The grinding method can be clean if one knows how to do it.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
sdstimson
Rennlist Member

I had this very same problem in all three of my 944's, played with the eccentric bolts but didn't help that much. I ended up just throwing coilovers on the rears and that solved it.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
mike10562004
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that was helpful
Old 04-20-2010, 12:02 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smaller tires are the easiest fix, but they cost money, and there are drawbacks.

I'd do a combination of fender modification and alignment. If you don't have lots of rear camber now, you could have some put into the alignment. But let's put it into perspective, you are changing the way your suspension works to fit a particular wheel/tire combo. Personally, I would modify the fender. That way I can run whatever alignment spec I want without worrying about a tire rubbing against the fender well.

Quick Reply: Only my left rear tire is rubbing?