Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only my left rear tire is rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
It'll blow the tire, the tire might shred and dent up the fender. Oh, and you might get into an accident when she blows...
Well sheesh it's not that bad. Lol. The only time it touches is if I hit a bump, turn right, or floor it. Other than that... it doesn't touch. I just drove around for an hour, turned left, and it only touched a couple of times.

Oh and these tires.... are FCKING AMAZING! I have on PS2's on. And by god.... the grip these things can pull. I mean I think it's amazing! They give so much confidence, I'm never worried going into a corner! I love it!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:43 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Here's a picture.... just because I'm excited. Haha. The tire only rubs sometimes... so I'm thinking rolling my fender would be the best plan?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I highly suggest not driving much or switching wheels until you can get something worked out. Tires are just rubber, and don't hold up well to rubbing against the metal of the body. Those metal lips on the inside of your fenders can cut up a tire pretty quickly, PS2s are expensive, too. Ultimately it's your choice, but whatever choice you make, do it correct the first time.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Po924S
I just got 993 Turbo Twist on my 924S. They fit great actually. But for some reason when I go above forty, my rear driver side tire rubs on the out edge into the inner edge of my fender. I can't stick my finger between the tire and the fender on the driver side, but on the passenger side I can put my finger between the fender and tire. I'm assuming I'm going to have to roll my fenders? Or is there some way to adjust my suspension, or smaller tires?
Left side rub is common when going large. These cars always seem to be off a little to the left.

If you take a hard look at where it is rubbing, it is probably at about the 9 o'clock thru 11 o'clock position on the fender lip when looking at it from the outside. There are varying camps on what is right or wrong regarding rolling versus grinding, but I would suggest to grab a grinder and grind off the inner lip in that area a small amount at a time until you get it to where there is no rub. Then go back and touch up the exposed metal with touch up paint.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,127 Likes on 807 Posts

Just as a point of interest 911s are the same and I had the sam eissues when going to larger sizes on my SC. What is disconcerting is adjusting eccentrics and suspention settings to get a tire to clear. to me that is BAD news as it will severly affect the handling of the car, especially under braking as you are in effect changing the corner balancing of the car.

Porsche usually determines ride height in measurements from the ground to the centre of the wheel minus the distnace from the fround to some suspension piece, not the body . MAybe on the 944 it is different as I never adjusted ride height on my S , but i would just suggest doing a little more reading before cranking on suspension settings.

Good luck

PS do oyu have specers on the wheel you could remove or maybe machine down the mating surface of the rear wheel a few mm ? I personally hate rolling femders as it is a structural design to stregnthen the fender under torsional stresses.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How major is the rubbing? It sounds minor to me, in which case it will take a long time before the tire gets damaged at all.

You can look at the inside of the fender, it's a little harder with a black car, but you'll be able to see where the tire is leaving marks from rubbing. Adjust the fender accordingly.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
Just as a point of interest 911s are the same and I had the sam eissues when going to larger sizes on my SC. What is disconcerting is adjusting eccentrics and suspention settings to get a tire to clear. to me that is BAD news as it will severly affect the handling of the car, especially under braking as you are in effect changing the corner balancing of the car.

Porsche usually determines ride height in measurements from the ground to the centre of the wheel minus the distnace from the fround to some suspension piece, not the body . MAybe on the 944 it is different as I never adjusted ride height on my S , but i would just suggest doing a little more reading before cranking on suspension settings.

Good luck

PS do oyu have specers on the wheel you could remove or maybe machine down the mating surface of the rear wheel a few mm ? I personally hate rolling femders as it is a structural design to stregnthen the fender under torsional stresses.
ritzblitz - It's, not really that major I don't think. I mean, it doesn't even rub the whole time. Only if I floor it, etc..... The tire looks great. You can't tell that anything is rubbing really if you look on the tire. It's not rubbing against the flat tread, it's rubbing against outer edge of the tire. Just thought I'd put that in there... Lol.

Yeah I didn't really want to touch the suspension.... I just have a feeling it's not the best. And I don't have spacers on the rear. So if I grind off a bit will it de-strengthen the fender (effects?)? The tire is only hitting directly on top. It's easy to tell because the rubber has taken a think line of paint away on that inside lip. I'm thinking of just grinding the lip down... but I searched and read that it's not a good idea. They said grinding it down doesn't look clean, as rolling looks much cleaner.Well I guess people are 50/50 about it. I really don't see how grinding the fender lip is that bad, maybe someone could shed some light for me with like... horror stories or pictures. Lol. Thank you for all your responses guys. You guys a such a great help. Rennlist FTW!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

I dont think there are any horror stories from grinding the fender lip.

It sounds like you could drive it that way for a while if you needed to/didnt feel like fixing it. Take your time and decide, once you modify the fender you cant really go back.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 PM
krystar
Drifting

if u can see where it's rubbing, u could roll the fender to get it to clear better.

another thing u can do is get an alignment and add more rear camber. 1.5-2 degrees should still be ok if u take the front to 2.5-3 degrees. and the stance will be as the jdm world says m4d tyte
Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for your replis guys. I think what I'll do is just grind it down a little bit. I'm not grinding the whole lip off. It'll just be a little bit. It'll be noticable with your fingers, but it's not like I'm cutting the whole lip off. It doesn't need much to clear. Now should I be ready to put primer on the bare metal?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Just be sure that you dont create any sharp edges that can slice up your tire
Old 04-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Just be sure that you dont create any sharp edges that can slice up your tire
Yeah I shouldn't be worried about that. I'm sure I can round or smooth it out some. I'll be home in a hour or so and I'm gonna give it a go. I'll let you know how the grinding method goes.... Lol.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Oh if anyone was interested in this. My tire guy said going down a size won't do anything other than give me less tire. If I went down to 255's (he talked about size ratios and stuff. Lol.) the tire would still rub. Just further down from where it hit's now. He said it doesn't rub enough to cut into the tire, so as long as I just keep driving it, I'll be perfectly fine. The rubbing will go away eventually. Just gotta let the tire rub down. It's that or I mess with my suspension height etc... Which I frankly don't understand at all. So I'd rather not attempt and then mess it up. Lol.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:43 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would want to do something...

i tore my suspension all out and replaced it not knowing anything and it went well
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM
931GT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on adding more negative camber. Just take it into an alignment shop and ask them to increase the negative camber in the rear until it doesn't rub anymore.

Quick Reply: Only my left rear tire is rubbing?