Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering buying an '89 944 S2 need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010 | 05:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ernie9468
I believe Mark is giving you a real solid piece of advice here but if you absolutly want to buy a 944S2 you & your Dad should trust peoples on this site when there are saying the car is worth buying after all this is what this forum is about steering peoples & new so be Porsche owners in the rigth direction either fixing their cars or buying one, as you can see this S2 is well known -well maintain -& even thougth a littlt higth miliage you know excatly what your getting.But once again read carefully what Mark is trying to tell you.
i wouldnt take my word for the condition. i would get a PPI from an independant shop.
Old 04-08-2010 | 05:19 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is that my old car? Wow, it hardly moved since I sold it.

My car got a head rebuild and new cams shortly before I bought it. The mileage does not mean much on these cars as the bottom ends last a long, long time and most of the other stuff gets replaced in the meantime. It also had a spring center clutch put in by my PO so that should be fine. My PO put a ton of highway miles on the car in a short time and also put a ton of money into it. It was a good car for me.

It was dead stock when I owned it so all the mods are since then.

I hope whoever buys it drives it a bunch.
-Joel.
Old 04-08-2010 | 05:31 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Smile

Originally Posted by Tom R.
i wouldnt take my word for the condition. i would get a PPI from an independant shop.
PPI is a thing witch is a must buying any car not only Porsche ,if you go back & read some of my replies first word in there was always get a PPI before handing any money down don't matter what story the owner give you, just forgot to mention it this time.
Old 04-08-2010 | 06:01 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Joel, do you remember exactly when he had the head rebuilt? I have a lot of people asking me that question and I am always hunting for approximate mileage estimate. I believe it was around 140K mark, right?

My S2 went through PPI a week ago for a gentleman in Texas who got laid off and couldn't afford to take on another vehicle. PPI came back nearly perfect and I saw 2 guys crawling around my car for 1.5 hours. And then they took it for a 20 minute test drive. Not something I was very comfortable with and I think I won't be doing it again.

When I bought this car I didn't even test drive it, just gave Pete the money, got in and drove it home to NJ. I tend to be a big believer in trust, and it has worked out pretty well for me. When people put their heart and soul into the car you kinda tend to take their word for it.

Put 80 miles on the car today, AC works pretty well in this sudden heat wave we got!

Vlad.
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:45 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought the head repair was in the records I had, I recall marveling at the cost of the cams, one costing more than the other sticks in my mind.

Before I sold the car to Pete I lifted up the cam cover and took a pic of the pristine and nearly white cam chain tensioner pad.

It's possible I posted excerpts from the maintenance records here when I had the car up for sale (in 2003?)

-Joel.
Old 04-08-2010 | 08:19 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I take it back. I found my ad, in which I mention I did not have records for the head work. I must have gotten the cost of the cams from talking to the PO.
Old 04-08-2010 | 10:33 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Joel,
thanks for the update. So when do you think he had the whole rebuild done? Approximately?
Since I'm not having any luck with the sale on ebay I figured I'd have me some fun:

Q: Hi, very nice looking 944S2. Do you have any pics of the struts, hypercoils, and brakes? What's the condition of the tranny, clutch, and torque tube. Thanks, Daryl Apr-08-10

A: I do not have the pictures of the struts, hypercoils and brakes. Never really thought about taking them. Clutch was replaced with a spring centered unit and torque tube is fine as per PPI done last Thursday. However, the tranny is a different story, last time I saw her she was thinking of giving up on the whole New Orleans scene and going back to the old days and just being my wife again. Oh, and the transmission on the car shifts really well too! Thanks for the interest, Vlad.
Old 04-29-2010 | 07:16 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

CAR IS SOLD to a gentleman from Montreal! I guess the exchange rate worked in his favor in the past 8 years.
I will miss it dearly and I already bought a Honda VTX 1800 to make up for extra space in the garage.
Old 11-20-2010 | 03:39 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Well, that didn't last too long.....

4 motorcycles later I purchased a 95 968 6-speed with a very long list of upgrades.

I'm so glad to be back!!!

Quick Reply: Considering buying an '89 944 S2 need advice