Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REAR SPEAKERS

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:19 PM
chrisabal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohh alright ill look into them i want a better bass without getting a subwoofer.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Early944
Intermediate

I was able to fit 4x10's in the rear of my 84' by drilling some holes around the stock mounting holes AND the new speakers fit perfectly under the panels with plenty of clearance!

El cheapo radio-shack brand if anyone was wondering.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisabal
yeah id like the stock side panels still.
and do you have any pics of how you installed the speakers?
I don't, but they were too deep to just cut out the stock location a bit more- these Orion component woofers look like baby subs, they have huge magnets on the back. If I had just made a base to lift them enough to clear the inside of the fender, the quarter panel would not have fit cleanly- it would have been pressing against the speaker surround. I basically made a circular speaker base plate that put it at the same level as the lower part of the panel that protrudes. I figured out the best place for it to fit and trimmed the base plate accordingly. The base plate is MDF that has been sanded and contoured, and just used 3m adhesive and staples for the black vinyl to cover it. The point is that I needed a flat surface for the speaker to be mounted to, and there wasn't any way to make that happen in the space allotted. It isn't super pretty, but it works, and those speakers sound awesome. Here is another pic. It isn't nearly as obtrusive as the photos make it look. Pardon the dust, that was before my hatch reseal.

This is what I did in the front- there is a whole thread on that, search "polk component" and it should come up.

Still need to build my sub boxes, but that will have to wait for the engine swap.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have put several 6.5 speakers in the rear by making a plate similar to the one shown. On early cars you will have to cut some metal. In this picture the white dot is where I put the tweeter when doing component speakers. I have used Polk and Boston Acoustic componets and the original panel fits nicely over them. If you use a coaxial make sure the tweeter is even with the front of the speaker.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
chrisabal
Advanced

Originally Posted by Early944
I was able to fit 4x10's in the rear of my 84' by drilling some holes around the stock mounting holes AND the new speakers fit perfectly under the panels with plenty of clearance!

El cheapo radio-shack brand if anyone was wondering.
any pics? id like to see how you did it

Quick Reply: REAR SPEAKERS