Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:21 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
Hate to bring this one back from the dead, but is the lights Mercury switch in the light itself? I just spent an hour chaising my tail on this! Lol

In short, my 951 didn't have the bulb. I bought one but then couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. Finally figured out you had to have the parking lights or right turn signal on. (I do find it interesting it didn't come on with the hazards however.... Really Porsche?? That makes more sense than the right signal!)
I think the switch is in the bulb housing/mount. i can't remember.

The arrangement is actually pretty clever. Yes, it does come on with the park lights and dipped lights but the turn signal thing is a road safety standard for western Europe at the time (still a standard??). When you parallel park on the road you leave the turn signal on and your parklight and rear light stay on for the side that the turn signal is at (left or right, at least on my car). In NZ this is actually a legal requirement for trucks parked on the road at night- a front and rear parking light visible 100m in both directions. It makes sense that you can just do this and not use your headlights if you're in a breakdown situation at night to save battery. Your hazard lights you use day or night so it makes more sense to treat that in isolation.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:25 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

btw a few years ago I changed my bulb to an LED. It is awesome!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:48 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
btw a few years ago I changed my bulb to an LED. It is awesome!
Bejesus, you could drive with that thing!!!! Lol Good idea tho. I really like having a light under there "just in case". My flashlights always seem to vanish.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:52 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I think the switch is in the bulb housing/mount. i can't remember.

The arrangement is actually pretty clever. Yes, it does come on with the park lights and dipped lights but the turn signal thing is a road safety standard for western Europe at the time (still a standard??). When you parallel park on the road you leave the turn signal on and your parklight and rear light stay on for the side that the turn signal is at (left or right, at least on my car). In NZ this is actually a legal requirement for trucks parked on the road at night- a front and rear parking light visible 100m in both directions. It makes sense that you can just do this and not use your headlights if you're in a breakdown situation at night to save battery. Your hazard lights you use day or night so it makes more sense to treat that in isolation.
I figured the right signal thing was a German thing. It makes sense. Likely it was too much trouble to also activate it with the hazards. I did test, you can have the hazards and the right signal on at the same time. And the light does come on. So there is that.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:13 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

its a mercury switch. the guy who installed my alarm found it fascinating.
Too bad it wasn't broken. He could have had fun all day rolling the stuff around on his hand! Not recommended, of course.

Quick Reply: Hood Light Switch