Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" is INANE

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" is INANE

This might be OT, except that I've seen it several times recently on the 944 boards. Variations include "Price is a discussion for the poor" and so on.

You know who says this? Idiotic dreamers who don't have the "means" but are trying to imagine what it's like to have wealth. And, frankly, they'll probably always be in that position if their mind can rationalize something so stupid.

It's like those who say this don't understand the concept of economics or limited resources or why the world is the way it is.

If you ever find yourself saying this, remember: how do most wealthy people get wealthy? I'll tell you one way they DIDN'T, which is through wanton spending or disregard for the value of things. If price doesn't factor in a spending decision, you're still living in your mind's own fantasyland.

Back to trying to find deals on 951 parts.
The following users liked this post:
twospyders (09-06-2020)
Old 04-04-2010, 04:23 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

???? I dont think ive ever seen that posted, except for the odd "you have to pay to play" usually in reference to modding....
Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I got kicked out of Barnes and Noble for moving all the Bibles to the Fiction section."

Heh.

I saw it yesterday in a post on rennlist, and I've seen it before that. It's on car-related youtube video comment sections all the time. Seems like a chic cliche.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never seen such a thing typed on the tech forums... maybe OT, but that's to be expected.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:14 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,242 Posts

I have seen it, but very few and far between.

99% of the time I've seen it as a humorous way to say it's really expensive. Or used to describe a project where the checkbook owner has yet to (and should never) add up all the receipts. Sounds better than "I have no idea...."
Old 04-04-2010, 01:19 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I can't recall the sentiment expressed on this board. It would seem an oxymoron of sorts. BTW if you are looking for 951 parts and you can get to Hershey in three weeks you will discover Nirvana.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:26 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've never said anything like this in earnest. we're all 924/944 owners here, which we gotta face is the little lost orphan brat in the Porsche family. None...well most of us don't have Carrera GT or GT3 daily drivers, so we're def penny pinchers.

if this was a ferrari or lambo forum, i could see that alot more common heh.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:58 PM
carlege
Drifting

ive heard that said. It can be true. But if you look at who the real rich people. They are the stingiest people in the world even with the mass amount of money. These people pinch every penny. I used to work for a construction company and since i didnt have tatoos or piercings i was put on the House crew that went around to all the High society houses in Montgomery AL, One particular house we replaced a water heater and the owner wanted to argue that the heater had a warranty on it. (it was 11 years old) he wasnt going to give in.... Slightly funny looking back at it but made you wonder WTF? since it was a prob 2.5 mill dollar house
Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlege
ive heard that said. It can be true. But if you look at who the real rich people. They are the stingiest people in the world even with the mass amount of money. These people pinch every penny. I used to work for a construction company and since i didnt have tatoos or piercings i was put on the House crew that went around to all the High society houses in Montgomery AL, One particular house we replaced a water heater and the owner wanted to argue that the heater had a warranty on it. (it was 11 years old) he wasnt going to give in.... Slightly funny looking back at it but made you wonder WTF? since it was a prob 2.5 mill dollar house
yer talking about the ppl that worked for their millions. totally diff ballgame between new money and old money.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:10 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by krystar
yer talking about the ppl that worked for their millions. totally diff ballgame between new money and old money.
maybe your right but im willing to bet that old money finds security in their bank accounts and would be as penny pinching to keep that security. money management and saving is usually a trait passed down from rich people old or new money they seem to know that better then the average person.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:14 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think if anyone in here actually tried to use that phrase, they would get flamed

I mean, we have CL ads with 944's for sale all through out the country posted every few days where the owner is coming off as completely oblivious to what his car is or what it's worth

and btw, I am SO used to this being in Upstate NY ... home of the non-running-barn-sitting-944's for a low price of $4k because they need a "little work"
Old 04-05-2010, 08:26 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of us own these cars because we like them. Not because we couldn't afford anything "better". I don't feel like any sort of penny-pinching step-child because one of the cars I own happens to be a 944. Some people must have self esteem issues.

I'll admit that when I see some jacked up thread on here (for example) about trying to fix a sloppy shifter by using skateboard bearings, I'll be the first one to say "just buy the right damn part and fix it the correct way once". Yes it costs more money but I only want to fix things once and be done with it. And my time is worth money. If I spend days searching for a used (possibly problematic) part to save money, when I could have bought a new part that was guaranteed not to break anytime soon...........isn't that really false economy?

In the end we are all part of the 944 family, so lets all just have a group hug and get along.

Oh, speaking of hugs. Hugging convention eludes me. When you meet a friend of your girlfriend's and his female companion on the street, and your girlfriend hugs them both, what do you do when introduced? You obviously shake the guy's hand if you're a guy, but your girlfriend just met this other woman and she hugged her. It almost seems rude to stick out your hand. It's not just this situation. What do you do with opposite-sex work friends when you say bye for the weekend after a few drinks? A handshake seems weird since you know each other so well, but a hug is downright creepy. I guess you wave goodbye, or just say you're going to the restroom and then leave without saying bye.

Quick Reply: "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" is INANE