Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennbay Shift boot

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Indeed...Travis is great ! To the OP....I do hope that you attempted to resolve your concern with him (at Rennbay) prior to jumping on here to call him out.

Anything I've purchased from Rennbay has been great and I've met Travis several times....great guy and a quality businessman.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:30 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So for $50, your expecting a new boot, **** and frame?
LOL

give your local dealer a call and see how much they charge.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my shift boot from rennbay, the photo on the website does not do much justice. Boot looks much better in person.

I thought it would be low quality leather but it is great! Looks and feels much better than my old beat up fdactory boot. I also got the stainless center cap to spice it up a bit. From what I recall installation was not difficult just took me a while to get the plastic ring to fit perfectly. I was never under the impression that the boot would come with a replacement plastic part as that is a factory item.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Banshee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for $50, your expecting a new boot, **** and frame?
LOL

give your local dealer a call and see how much they charge.
No. Don't be retarded. Read what i said. But yes, to answer most of your question, i was expecting a cap and a plastic ring (which is evidently factory) because that is whats shown in the picture. For the majority of the people here on Rennslist, that is clearly a STUPID idea to assume i am going to get whats in a picture, even if its backed up by the name of...."kit". Also dude, maybe you don't understand my situation. I might have to call a local dealer anyways (and its not very local) because i don't have everything i need, this 50 dollar shift boot is worth maybe 10 bucks to me. If you were a working college student like me you'd understand my complaint alot better, stop trying to troll me mmkay?

All things aside i have already admitted my mistake, by not reading the fine print. I must say the shift boot is very nice but..it doesn't help me at all, because i am not any closer to having a new shift boot in my car. I still need a plastic ring (because my last one broke) and of course, a shift cap that i have trouble paying 20+ dollars for.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Banshee
Instructor

Indeed...Travis is great ! To the OP....I do hope that you attempted to resolve your concern with him (at Rennbay) prior to jumping on here to call him out.

Anything I've purchased from Rennbay has been great and I've met Travis several times....great guy and a quality businessman.
Yes sir. Don't worry but that was the first thing i did when i wrapped my head around it, (way before i posted this) i sent a email to the Rennbay customer service. If they were open weekends i would have called them, but had to resort to email.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:13 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

If you were a working college student like me you'd understand my complaint alot better, stop trying to troll me mmkay?
As a fellow broke college student - you should have taken the time to read the description. The shift boot is nicely priced and I've never had a bad experience with Rennbay. Also, why do you even need a new plastic clip-y?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Banshee
Instructor

As a fellow broke college student - you should have taken the time to read the description. The shift boot is nicely priced and I've never had a bad experience with Rennbay. Also, why do you even need a new plastic clip-y?
Once again, i was surprised as well when i had realized that i missed the most important bit of information. At the time i was actually looking for any description like that but my eyes never caught it. Seriously though..its understandable right? Have you guys noticed the fine print is like size 8 font or something?

Anyways, i have said multiple times now in my previous posts that my plastic clip..BROKE. Hence my bitterness about paying lots of money for something i already have. Kapeesh?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee
...this 50 dollar shift boot is worth maybe 10 bucks to me. If you were a working college student like me you'd understand my complaint alot better, stop trying to troll me mmkay?

...and of course, a shift cap that i have trouble paying 20+ dollars for.
i dont want to sound mean, but if you are upset about a $20 shift cap, and think the boot is worth $10 you bought the wrong make car. wait till you start making major repairs and/or modifications. these are nice cars, but its not a cheap hobby.

i bought my car in college too, but i could justify it because i worked 40-60 hours a week on top of being a full time student. i think its great that you are part of the 944 family, but your financial situation is not our problem, and not the problem of the great list of vendors these cars have. many of them are very knowledgeable and willing to take the time to help you.

for most small parts, like the plastic clip you are missing, your best source is going to be second hand from fellow members here. rennlisters have saved me tons of money on small parts here and there. i have had a great experience with all of them and wish i could list them all out but the only one that directly comes to mind is ideola. he always seems to have a parts car and is a pleasure to do business with.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Korenwolf
Intermediate

I hope you kept the plastic clip, because unless you've totally trashed it, you can probably repair it with a paper clip (or part of), a lighter (though a small propane burner is better) and pair or two of needle nose pliers. We used to 'fix' broken plastic bits of photocopiers/printers in my days before uni (college to you state side folk). Just heat suitably shaped parts of the wire up and melt them into the plastic to repair it...

Though if you've broken it in more than one place, I suggest that you look for a spare in a breakers yard... if you've busted it taking it off, then you likely forced it too much, which means you were more than likely being a little bit impatient (something I am often guilty of!) and when things don't move easily it's usually for a reason, like a missed screw/nut/clip.

I recently bought the Rennbay shift boot, knowing it was only the boot I was getting, as even from Pelican or someone like that the Porsche replacement was at least 300usd, and with a little bit of leather preserve acting as a 'lube' managed to coax the boot on with only a mild amount of effort. I also bought a stainless steel insert, and though while mildly miffed that it is cast, not milled, have to admit that it looks the bee's... when finally installed...

But whatever you do, don't try and work on fitting the boot insitu, i.e in the car, remove the ****/shaft section off the selector and use the floor to push against, it's much easier. While you're working on the boot, check that the inner boot (silicon like rubber) is also not split, if it is, you'll get a nasty smell of fumes in the car (ask me how I know) that instantly gets worse the moment you open the window...

Also there may be a certain amount of 'play' in both the plastic bearing that the ball joint at the bottom of the selector rod goes into, or the rod that connects the gear shift to the rod going to the gearbox. These bits are worth replacing, as it'll make the world of difference to your gear-shifting, which is most important when dragging off that 'ricer' at the lights !
Old 04-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Korenwolf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i dont want to sound mean, but if you are upset about a $20 shift cap, and think the boot is worth $10 you bought the wrong make car. wait till you start making major repairs and/or modifications. these are nice cars, but its not a cheap hobby.
+1000000

Sorry, but if you're feeling a bit stressed by the price of a few parts, I'd sell the car before you have the 'joy' of facing a 'Milkshake' which is something I have to deal with right now... !!!

ps. Milkshake = water-in-oil or vv, i.e. often a very expensive repair...!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:16 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Korenwolf
+1000000

Sorry, but if you're feeling a bit stressed by the price of a few parts, I'd sell the car before you have the 'joy' of facing a 'Milkshake' which is something I have to deal with right now... !!!

ps. Milkshake = water-in-oil or vv, i.e. often a very expensive repair...!!!
haha, i had a milkshake, a/o separator leak, trashed throttle body, and bad clutch in my first 8 months of ownership.

ps. never buy a porsche that sat in storage for 6 years
Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Banshee
Instructor

Lol ya, Ive had to have a bit of a reminder about that thanks to you guys, my car has been running so well in the past few months everything ive had to fix are non-mechanical. I shouldn't have forgotten about how much more expensive a brand name Porsche part would be.

Thanks for the advice Koren, i will look into that.

Damn that totally reminds me, just so you guys understand what my current "boot" situation looks like right now, since it is clear by now that i am not using the plastic ring that has been broken, i will post a pic to show how comical my whole center console looks.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
elzergone
Pro

Originally Posted by Korenwolf
While you're working on the boot, check that the inner boot (silicon like rubber) is also not split, if it is, you'll get a nasty smell of fumes in the car (ask me how I know) that instantly gets worse the moment you open the window...
THAT IS WHAT CAUSES THAT?!? Holy crap. My 84 is about to get so much less smelly.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM
pa944red
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Banshee
Yes sir. Don't worry but that was the first thing i did when i wrapped my head around it, (way before i posted this) i sent a email to the Rennbay customer service. If they were open weekends i would have called them, but had to resort to email.
Quit your bitching, you f'ed up, not once, but twice because a friend steered you wrong and now because a business is not open on the weekend to deal with you not being able read the vendor is a joke. Out of curiosity how long before you called Rennbay misleading and a joke did you e-mail Rennbay?

Seriously, if you are complaining about a $42.50 shift boot, you are in for a rude awakening the first time you have to actually replace something to keep the car running, like a full belt, roller and waterpump R&R.

Tom
Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^true dat....

Quick Reply: Rennbay Shift boot