Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help with control arm bushing install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, for the suggestions. I haven't had a chance to check to see if they tried anything new yet. I will relay the advice. Hopefully, when I get home there will be a message they magically went in.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I know I'm going to sound like a dick for asking this, but are you certain you/they removed the steel sleeves? It sure sounds like that's what the problem is. I remember going thru this the first time I ever changed out a set of these bushings and even though I thought I had removed everything the sleeves were still in there. If they were removed it shouldn't require as much effort as you are going thru.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I removed them. I had to use a hacksaw to get them out. Two of them went in easy it is just the other 2 that both went in the same depth and just stopped moving. It they aren't in today I will get them back and try to get the bushings out and reinstall after freezing overnight and using some sort of lube.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Got the arms back from my friend who was pressing them in and they are totally screwed up ( not bagging on my friend, he did the best he could). The metal flat parts are distorted and bend all to hell. I will have to take them out and do them over. They were so fun to take out the first time, not to mention I have to buy new ones, again. So this time I will freeze them overnight and use a better lube when pressing them in with my new 6 inch vise. Or just take them to a shop and have them pressed in by someone who has the right equipment and knows what they are doing.

Quick Reply: I need help with control arm bushing install