Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Dashboard Cracks - the Best Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 07:52 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Alcantara is referred to as 'mouse fur' commonly, as that's what it resembles! Keep a hand tape roller handy, as the stuff collects lint like you cannot believe.

As we're almost at the summer solstice, remember to use a sunshade if you park outside. And Vinylex the heck out of the interior. Both prevent UV damage, and the sunshade will lower the interior temps by a sizeable amount.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:58 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAHAHA, that's GREAT!
I fished about here asking about where to get the suede used in the Ford Focus-type rallycars last year, so that I could cover the dash with it, and came up empty! Where did you find your ALACANTRA?

Also, if you peeled your vinyl off, what cracks are you filling?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2002, 09:59 AM
keith
Drifting

What is Vynlex, and where do I get that??
Old 06-19-2002, 10:25 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Vinylex is a vinyl protectant made by Lexol (the leather care people). Here is a discription of the product from the Lexol website:

“Vinylex Protectant cleans and protects with a patented, one-step formula that actually nourishes vinyl, rubber and plastic surfaces. It actually penetrates below the surface layer to nourish and revitalize underlying plasticizers, thereby reducing cracking.
Vinylex works wonders on tires, trim, tonneau covers, interiors, dashboards and vinyl tops too. With DH-60 UV sunscreen to block color-fading ultra-violet rays, Vinylex Protectant keeps surfaces looking original and smelling like new!”

It can be bought many places. The website (www.lexol.com) list distributers. I know <a href="http://www.carcareonline.com" target="_blank">www.carcareonline.com</a> carries the product and highly recommends it.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:19 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have taken a couple of steps to fix the dashboard, and still have not yet got it right.

First I ordered one of those velour dash covers from eBay. It was cheap, but it looked cheap too. (If anyone wants to buy a brown velour dash cover, let me know!)

Next I ordered a brown Coverlay dash cover from Performance Products. I installed the dash cover myself.

At first, I was AMAZED by the improvement. The dash looks very close to OEM, and my friends swear it looks factory.

But now the honeymoon has worn off. The cover has buckled in one place, and is loosely fitted on one end. To be frank, I think I did a poor job with the installation (or at least, a professional would have done a BETTER job).

My conclusion is that IF your interior already has a lot of vinyl/plastic as mine does, and IF IF IF you install the dash cover properly, THEN a $100 Coverlay (or whatever) is the most cost effective solution to the problem. But the key lies in proper installation. I am going to try a few tweaks to my dash cover and see if I can improve the fit.

The Holy Grail remains a replacement OEM dash in mint condition.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:01 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Well I'll have some before and after pics of a dash cap from Vertex after this weekend. My new 951 is going to have a lot of cracks and I don't have the money to have it recovered right now, so the temp solution of a cap was about all I could come up with.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:18 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Sorry guys...I haven't read this entire post, so perhaps this solution has already been discussed. I too have a few small cracks in my dash. I contacted a guy in my area who specializes in cracked dash repair. He's mobile, which is damn handy too. He's had a look at my dash, but at the time it was too cold outside, and he wanted to do it when it was warmer. I just haven't gotten around to it yet, but with an estimate of only $100Canadian (that's like $5US), I plan to have him take care of it.

Basically, this guy uses a solvent of some kind to clean the dash, then he fills the cracks with a flexible epoxy (may not be epoxy, but it's a glue of some kind), then he takes a really small spray gun and paints the infilled cracks to match the dash. Apparently, he even has a way to add a textured effect, similar to the dash surface.

So, my recommendation would be to pull out the yellow pages...hopefully you have a similar guy in your area. A good place to start is by calling upolstery shops, or people who install custom dash inlays. Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:15 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One technique I've seen used, and I'm considering myself -- is to fill the cracks, and spray the ENTIRE dash surface with black latex rubber. You end up with a RUBBERIZED dash, and while it may lack the texture of fine crafted plastic or vinyl - it's impervious to sun, will never crack, and doesn't require removing the dash.

I've also seen the fill & spray technique, and in the hands of a master - the result can be exemplary.

Greg
Old 06-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Deepice
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by keith:
<strong>HAHAHA, that's GREAT!
I fished about here asking about where to get the suede used in the Ford Focus-type rallycars last year, so that I could cover the dash with it, and came up empty! Where did you find your ALACANTRA?

Also, if you peeled your vinyl off, what cracks are you filling?

Thanks!</strong><hr></blockquote>
The ALACANTARA can be had at

<a href="http://www.gulffabrics.com/Alcantara.htm" target="_blank">http://www.gulffabrics.com/Alcantara.htm</a>

they also cary a heavy duty Ultrasuede material called ultrasuede HP but it is twice the money.

the vinyl that was peeled off was just the black plastic top layer of the dash if you look at the picture in my first post you can see the green foam that was under the black top layer. My dash was so badly cracked that it it went all the way down to the metal. here is a pic before I started with the bondo

<a href="http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/lig/s/m/smit1668/dash2.jpg" target="_blank">http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/lig/s/m/smit1668/dash2.jpg</a>

I will be doing the overlay this week.

James
Old 09-11-2021, 02:56 PM
Tbone425
8th Gear

Default Ever get to this?

Originally Posted by Perry 951
I have ordered some stuff from Color Plus I have not tried it yet since it has been so cold. I have 7 small cracks off the defrost vents that I will fill with the Flexfill then cover with the Surflex. I have heard good things about this product. A little expensive, but cheaper than a new dash.

I will give a full report in the spring.
I have flexfill and a very slight crack. Thought I would see how this turned out for you?
Old 09-11-2021, 04:21 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 129 Posts

Have you tried flex-seal? LOL!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:33 PM
iamgod
Racer

sweet jebus and holy resurrection! my son was born 3 days before the last post and he grew up and moved out 6 months before this post was zombified!!
Old 11-07-2021, 01:22 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 131 Posts

Has anyone tried doing it like this? Im considering it.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:43 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Has anyone tried doing it like this? Im considering it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANE0dueAXSI
It's super-ghetto, will look terrible.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:44 PM
Jotronic
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IanM
Sorry guys...I haven't read this entire post, so perhaps this solution has already been discussed. I too have a few small cracks in my dash. I contacted a guy in my area who specializes in cracked dash repair. He's mobile, which is damn handy too. He's had a look at my dash, but at the time it was too cold outside, and he wanted to do it when it was warmer. I just haven't gotten around to it yet, but with an estimate of only $100Canadian (that's like $5US), I plan to have him take care of it.

Basically, this guy uses a solvent of some kind to clean the dash, then he fills the cracks with a flexible epoxy (may not be epoxy, but it's a glue of some kind), then he takes a really small spray gun and paints the infilled cracks to match the dash. Apparently, he even has a way to add a textured effect, similar to the dash surface.

So, my recommendation would be to pull out the yellow pages...hopefully you have a similar guy in your area. A good place to start is by calling upolstery shops, or people who install custom dash inlays. Hope this helps.
Hi Ian. I'm also in Vancouver and wondering if you can share the contact info for this mobile dash guy you mentioned. I just bought an 88 951 and the dash cracks are one of the first things I want to address. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 944 Dashboard Cracks - the Best Solution?