Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Dashboard Cracks - the Best Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 09:32 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post 944 Dashboard Cracks - the Best Solution?

Okay, careful research has revealed approximately 1638 different methods of treating the infamous cracked 944 dashboard. A few of these methods are listed below, in descending order of price.

With solutions 1-3, there's also the significant labor involved in removing and replacing the dash, which will not be cheap or easy. You can DIY, but prepare to take a long time.

4-6 are a few less comprehensive solutions - maybe not as good as a new/refurbished dash, but are they almost as good?

1. NEW OEM FACTORY DASHBOARD - $6000 PLUS LABOR
The dealer quoted me a price of over $6000 for a new dash. ::insert laughtrack:: But the actual part has been discontinued, so even Bill Gates can't use this option.

2. NEW AFTERMARKET DASHBOARD - $1000 PLUS SHIPPING & LABOR
Performance Products has 944 dashboards for sale for about $1000. But do the colors match? Anyone seen these?

3. JUSTDASHES.COM OR SIMILAR REFURBISHING - $600 PLUS SHIPPING & LABOR
A company like justdashes.com will take the original dash and refurbish it as new. Cost is reputed to be around $600, and the process takes 6 weeks - during which time, you have a 944 with no dash.

4. A.BAUER DASHGLOVE - $229 PLUS SHIPPING LABOR
This is a LEATHER dashcover custom fit for 944. A very interesting alternative to plastic dashcovers. But will the colors match? Installs "in minutes." (yeah right)

5. COVERLAY PLASTIC DASH COVER - $100 PLUS LABOR (LOCAL SHOP QUOTED ME $250 TOTAL)
These are the most popular. Supposedly they are vinyl dyed to match color. But some say they are too shiny & plasticy, or just look like dash covers. Others swear they look OEM!

6. FABRIC DASH COVER - $40
This is for those who want to take the simplest, easiest way out. A carpet or fabric cover that is cut to fit the 944.

I can’t look at all these dash cracks for much longer. Has anyone tried any of the above? Any input would be appreciated!
Old 01-08-2002, 09:48 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean ; I have heard about just dash from some people , but nothing pro or con , so I can't really make a qaulified good or bad remark. The one thing I can make you aware of is the color difference problems you might incur . These dashs crack from their age and the constant heat cold cycle.But I also as an exbody man know what constant sun light does to carpet, plastic trim and paint.That simply is the colors fade. Black to grey,white to yellowish , etc. I wish I could give you an answer ,But I don't know of a good solution on this one.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:47 PM
Tom
Pro

It looks like you are talking about a late dash. Comparing my 84 and 87, it looks like the 87 would be much easier to match a section (top half/bottom half). I have seen the plastic dash covers on early cars and not been impressed. If it were my car and I was going to keep the car for a while I would seriously consider the leather option. Even it there are color match differences, it may be better than the cracks.

I have a carpet toupee for my 87 (I had one for the 84 too) in hopes that it would keep it from cracking. The cover looks bad but a lot better than a cracked dash and the cover is easily removed when desired.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:04 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I have to agree with Tom on the plastic covers they look bad!
Old 01-08-2002, 11:43 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I have ordered some stuff from Color Plus I have not tried it yet since it has been so cold. I have 7 small cracks off the defrost vents that I will fill with the Flexfill then cover with the Surflex. I have heard good things about this product. A little expensive, but cheaper than a new dash.

I will give a full report in the spring.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:20 AM
Rog
Advanced

Hi,

at one point nearly a year ago, I ordered 3 different plastic dash covers (with an agreement in each case I could return any of them for only my return postage cost)

Perhaps not suprising, they varied a lot. One was pretty bad. One fair to middlin' and the 3rd actually pretty nice. Not shiny, but just a tick lighter of a black. No big deal, it's not like there's only a single shade of black in the entire interior (even when new) anyway. It's 85% as good as new, and 100s of percent better than my previous lunar landscape facilime. Before it was like a heads-up display of the moon, so cratered it was.

Mine was ordered from GPR, but per the enclosed paperwork, dropshipped from World Upholstery and Trim. Less than $100

hth
roger
Old 01-09-2002, 01:20 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellence did an article about the JustDash dashes for a 944 and had only good things to say about it. They apparently went to a bone yard and pick up a "core" to send to JustDash and it cam back to their satisfaction.

They also did a detailed step-by-step of the removal and install.

From what was said in Excellence, JustDash does something to reinforce the dash so it does shrink as radically when heat cycled.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:36 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think something like Perry's solution is the way to go. Look around, there's probably someone in your area who specializes in that sort of thing. I know of a guy here in Vancouver who fills the cracks with a special epoxy, then paints the cracks with a tiny airbrush. Apparently you'd be hard-pressed to see the repairs once he's done. I'm sure he's not the only guy in the world who does it.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:37 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I took the cheap route with a carpeted dash mat. At first I was not thrilled - but it was better than looking at those cracks. Over time I have gotten used to it. With my 89 w/dual airbags many of the other solutions were not available.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:38 PM
Sean
Drifting

That's good to know. I was wondering about that issue myself. It would suck to have your dash restored, only to find that cracks begin reappearing the next summer!

Oddly, I am finding very little in the way of a satisfactory solution for the dash issue, short of actually removing the darn thing and have it restored/replaced.

I am going to do some research on the "dashglove," the leather dash cover. It sounds like the highest quality solution for the money. Only potential problem is the possibility that colors may not match in my Saddle Brown interior.

Note that this interior restoration stuff makes a black interior seem that much more attractive. Black is hard to keep clean, but easier to color match.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:50 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Has anyone seen the repair stuff advertised on TV? Sorry I can't remember the name. You have to mix your desired color, then you fill in the cracks and put a texturing pad on them until this goop dries. I don't usually buy anything from a comercial that says "if you act now!" but I was just wondering if anyone knew the name of the stuff or if it was any good.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Sean
Drifting

Hmmmm. After digging around on the Color-Plus site, I agree that this is an attractive alternative. The key will clearly be the ability to EXACTLY match the colors - else I will just have some different colored epoxy cracks running across my dash.

The good news here is that all the materials will apparently cost less than $100, and if it does not work...the dash can still be covered in plastic or leather. I will probably try the Color-Plus and let you all know what happens.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:01 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
The stuff on TV is crap. It won't hold, tears when used on seats, and is not the right color. It also won't fill cracks well. It shrinks.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:56 AM
Sean
Drifting

Here is one other solution to throw into the mix. It's a DIY dash repair kit.

I don't know if I trust myself to do this sort of work... But this does look like a great way to truly restore the interior.

Dash Vinyl Repair Kit
Old 01-11-2002, 11:30 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Found the A.Bauer link. Crappy b&w photo, but the leather cover looks pretty cool. I wonder if the cracks in the original dash would show as indentations in the leather cover??

Just in case I buy a 944 with a cracked dash, of course.

Quick Reply: 944 Dashboard Cracks - the Best Solution?