Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticking Throttle Cam. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003 | 03:39 PM
jdk1
Instructor

Post Sticking Throttle Cam. Help!

I began having a problem with my '86 944 na earlier this week. On the way home from work Monday, I was sitting in traffic in the Chicago loop. When I came to a stop light and pressed the clutch, the car redlined. I was able to "limp" the car back to my garage (slip the clutch and kill the engine at lights)for the few remaining blocks.

With some examination under the hood I determined that the throttle cap (butterfly valve) was binding up. The throttle cam wouldn't snap back into the closed position. In fact, it required some effort to get it there. I removed the air intake hose and used degreaser and some penetrating oil to free things up. It worked perfectly Tuesday and Yesterday. This morning, guess what? I repeated the degreasing procedure and made it to work.

After a search of the archives, I wasn't able to find any conclusive solutions. What should I try next? Should I disassemble the entire unit? If so, any suggestions on the best way?

Thanks for all the help,

Jeff
Old 04-17-2003 | 04:36 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Yep, you need to take off your throttlebody, take it apart, and clean it up real nice. It's easy to take apart. You don't have to take the throttle plate out, but take off the idle/full throttle switch, and remove the springs and cam. Then you can clean everything out nice, re-set the stop position so the plate is closed but not binding, reset the full throttle position so the plate is basically parallel with the air flow, reset the idle/full throttle switch position so it clicks right as you open the throttle, I used a little flowable grease on everything that moves, and put it back in. You'll notice that the return springs will then be strong enough to let you take all the slack out of the cable.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Sticking Throttle Cam. Help!