Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Sound Option-replacement speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002 | 05:10 PM
dave120
Drifting

Post Premium Sound Option-replacement speakers?

Hi all,
I've been going through the archives about replacing the speakers in my car, which is an S2 with the 10 speaker premium sound option. But I haven't been able to find any info on any decent speakers that I can replace them with. Does anybody know if ones like Alpines will fit in the holes correctly? Or has anybody else used any nice quality ones instead of the stock brand? I'm not real familiar with the ones that came in the car, but do I need to basically replace it with the same kind or has anyone successfully used other brands? Any help would be appreciated as I'm tired of getting crappy sound from my 3-4 speakers (maybe more?) that are blown out.
Old 09-02-2002 | 05:26 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I am not familiar with the ten speaker systems but it would seem that they must be individual speakers with crossovers in use rather than a bunch of 2 or 3 way speakers. You could go to this site, <a href="http://www.crutchfield.com," target="_blank">www.crutchfield.com,</a> and compare various types of speakers to replace your bad ones or even replace all of them.
Old 09-02-2002 | 05:46 PM
dave120
Drifting

Yeah I've been looking through the Crutchfield catalog at different things..I'm not all that up on stereo stuff so anything beyond directly replacing plugs on them I'd probably need to ask someone knowledgeable what to do...The Crutchfield website lists speakers for my car as being 4x6 in the door and 6x9 in the rear, but that's not what sizes they are, so I'm guessing they won't know what I need if I were to call them because they'd just pull up that same info. You're right, the door speakers are connected to a 3 way crossover network. What exactly that means I don't know though.

I'm more wanting to know if anyone has any speaker brand that they recommend to replace the stock ones with, or if my best bet is to just replace them with the same kind if they're pretty good. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-02-2002 | 05:57 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

i actually just did a new speaker setup in my s2 cab and i can tell you what i used. i have the premium option but for the cab it's only 8 speakers instead of 10 (4x6 in the back).

in the door there is a 5 1/4", a 3 or 3.5"(i just chucked that one so i'm not sure of the size), and a crossover that splits the highs for the tweeter in the top of the door. for my install i replaced the tweeter and 5.25 with infinity kappa component speakers. for the back i put in kappa 4x6 (but that will be different for you i think). i've heard that the cab has more clearance in the front in terms of depth of speaker allowed so i can't guarantee that kappas will fit in there but they sound good in my car. i bought a 6 channel amp that sits in the trunk to drive the in car speakers and a sub in the trunk (i don't have the sub yet but was thinking of getting that custom 8" enclosure that one of our members makes.

if you find that the kappas do have clearance then they're totally worthwhile and it'd try them. if you need a good price i know a guy who for some reason gets them really cheap. this guy guarentees to beat any price. i got my 5.25" components for $150 which is pretty cheap. if you can't find a cheaper price i'd be happy to pick up a pair and ship them to you.

if you need any advice about installing or where to run wires for amps or speakers then just post here or pm or email me
Old 09-02-2002 | 06:25 PM
dave120
Drifting

GREAT info! That's exactly what I needed. I read about the cab having more room and stuff but it was in relation to the front 4x6 that the normal 4 speaker setups have. The ones in the premium are mounted down on the bottom rather than up on the front of the door panel. I'm not sure if the same rule still applies or not, but if it does the ones you used won't fit because it says they're 2" deep and I'm limited to 1 5/8".

I have a 6.5" in the back and I'm not sure what the smaller one back there with it is. What I really need to do is pull it all apart and see exactly what I have in there. But that price you got of $150 for the component ones is amazing..it's listed on Crutchfield for $279! Once I find out if they'll fit or not I might take you up on that offer. Also how much did you pay for the tweeters? They're up there in price too for the little 1" things! And the 6.5" is like $300...this could be a damn expensive upgrade! I'll e-mail you a list of the ones I need once I get it all together and see if you can ask your guy what deals he can get. I appreciate it! Thanks again for the info. I'll go check it out soon.
Old 09-03-2002 | 03:21 AM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

You may want to check Rockford Fosgate component sytem too. Some one has upgraded these on 968 and got a very good opinion and perfect fit. You can get it at crutchfield. <a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-96Jn1I82DeM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=76300&I=575FNP2514&o=m&a=0" target="_blank">http://www.crutchfield.com/S-96Jn1I82DeM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=76300&I=575FNP2514&o=m&a=0</a> . I guess you can get it around $90 some where online.
Old 09-03-2002 | 04:03 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

no in a component system the tweeters are there too. the price was $150 for a pair of 5.25" mid drivers, 1" tweeters, and passive crossovers set from the factory for the right frequencies. i just put the crossovers in the same place as the stockers. they're pretty much the same size as the stock crossovers but there aren't any screw holes on the kappa crossovers. i'm not sure what you want to use to keep them in place but i just wrapped electrical tape around the whole black speaker assembly thing (if you've taken stuff off you'll know what black thing i'm talking about.

actually if you just take the stock crossovers out you can wire in the kappa and the wire to the tweeter will still be in the door so you don't have to go digging. if you want to get the tweeter grille thing off you can do that without taking off the door panel. just pull out the power windows/mirror switch part and you can reach in and pop off the grill from the inside.

as for making the kappa tweeter fit, i couldn't think of a way to make it look stock. the way i did it involved dremeling but it looks like it could be stock. i'll take pictures and you can decide if you want to do it my way or fabricate some inner door mount. the kappa tweeters are bubble shaped whereas the stock were smaller in depth and flat so the kappa tweeters will not fit in the stock spot. when i whip out the digicam tomorrow you'll see what i mean
Old 09-03-2002 | 09:19 AM
Paul C 944
Burning Brakes

Ive got Infinity kappa in my truck,they sound great! I want to put 4x6 in 944 ,has anyone tried these?Will they fit?Im planning on an 8 inch sub in the cubby,all powere by a 5 channel amp!
Old 09-03-2002 | 10:10 AM
craig001
Drifting

I have the Infinity Kappa 4.6's in the back of my Cab. It's a straight swap. Also a good time to clean and Vinylex those rear panels.
Old 09-03-2002 | 10:31 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

craig what did you do for lows in your car? my combo of the kappa components and kappa 4x6 sounds great but could really use some help at about 200hz and lower. i was considering the 8" sub in the custom box but was wondering if the sound would be totally lost in a cabriolet. any ideas no matter how crazy would be considered but i don't want to lose the back seats because i do stuff people back there

Quick Reply: Premium Sound Option-replacement speakers?