Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My stereo install (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work.
The nak really does suit the dash lighting, and looks retro enough to blend in really well.

I had a lot of trouble finding 4 x 6 speakers but eventually settled on soundstream SST4.6. They don't fit (drop in) but I removed the magnet covers(rubber boots) and made up 6mm MDF spacers and got them in. I used the SS grilles, but they do hit the edge of dash. I am happy with sound, but may end up running better tweeters, as although at moderate volumes they perform well, they aren't as smooth as I would like at higher volumes.

These speakers come with dedicated crossovers, and have decent power handling, and are the best I could find, but fitting is definitely an issue. Getting something to fit behind factory grilles will be difficult, if you also want good sound quality.

peace
Cyberpunky
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im impressed that your car still had the factory plugs, mine were long gone when i installed my Kenwood x994 in it. I had to bust out the soldering iron and some shrink tubing to get mine installed right.

As of right now i have an old set of panasonic 4x6's up front that i rescued from the rear and a set of boston RC51 components in the rear. Im going to end up making some custom rings to fit 6.5" focals up front and do a tweeter on the a-pillar. I also picked up the KLA sub box for the rear cubby, and stuffed an alpine 8" R-type in it (it dropped in, no mods) and it kicks some *** for an 8, im going to get a spacer ring so i can have a little more volume but the Type-r is made to work well in a tiny sealed box.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:15 AM
959Lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very clean stereo install, and sweet HU.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:02 PM
saifhaq
Advanced

Thanks everyone!
Tried swapping out the nak for a cdr-110 (looked awesome in the car) but the sound wasn't as good and it proved to be problematic (skipping, etc), so put the nak back in.
I haven't had the chance to swap out the stock speakers yet, but that is next on my list.
Also noticed my radio reception is greatly improved over the stock blau unit.

Originally Posted by TexasRider

You did not put in any extra amps right? Just using the Nak to drive the system.
Yup, using the nak system to drive the speakers.
The interesting thing with this unit is the amp section on the nak can be detached from the head unit and installed remotely if needed (i didn't go this route though).
Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Fintro11
Pro

when i bought my car the previous owner had installed 6x9 in the rear carpet over the two hidden storage compartments, not that you said there is a removable plate i might see if i can fit them in there as for the fronts i have had nothing but problems trying to find the right speakers, I have 4x6 Jbl's in there right now, the passenger side stopped working its either the wire's ****ed or some stupid girl i took out pushed her foot against it >.<
Old 08-27-2011, 07:16 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Subscribed, just so I can find it in the future. I doubt I'll last long without a radio haha.
Also your radio is really nice looking. It's hard to find something that isn't blingbling/riced our for the right price
Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Dr Feelgood
Advanced

I have an EQ on my car where that pocket usually is under the radio. It look stock. Does that crutchfield harness still work with that setup? My factory CD player ate my CD and wont play anything, but I have a aftermarket one lying around from my last car. Time to make the switch.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. You just plug in to the 4 speaker plug and then the one that goes into the factory head unit. Seems like a lot of cars came wired for everything.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by elf89
Nice work. Regarding the speakers, if anyone knows of modern 4x6's that will fit in the doors with the stock grills, please post it here. It's a challenging fit because they can't be too deep and the front can't stick out at all.

Crutchfield told me it couldn't be done, but there's got to be something that will work! All the paper is disintegrated on my OEM blaupunkt's.
Best solution is to manufacture some spacer plates to put between the stock grill and the door panel. I used some 3/16" ABS that I got from a local stereo shop, traced an outline from the speakers to install, then used a dremel and various files/sandpapers to smooth out. Works great and looks completely stock.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 154 Posts

OP, nice install on the Nak. For those who have hacked up wiring, it may still be possible to obtain pigtales for the speaker wires from Blaupunkt. That was the route I went when I inherited a hacked mess from the PO.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM
dpoul34
Instructor

Where'd you find the Nakamichi? I used to own home units over 20 years ago. Thought they were no longer around.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Thankfully the person that installed the last one in my car wasn't the butcher I initally thought. For not having a blaupunkt stereo harness I can't be too upset. He cut the speak ends but any other splicing he did off the eq wiring instead of the plug for the head unit. After a while I figured it out and soldered in new speaker plug from my parts car and was ready to roll.

Nak's come up in the for sale area but go quick. The last 400 was listed for $150 and went in 4 minutes. There are some online retailers that sell them but they're quite a bit more.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Nobbi
Advanced

Hello,

i do own a 944S2 Cabriolet since last february and i do also have a very poor radio antenna reception.I think it is because of the "build-into-the-glass" solution.
I do see a lot of 944`s with aftermarket antennas in diffrent positions.
What is the "best" solution for a cabriolet?

Thanks in advance,

Nobbi
Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 PM
carbongecko
Rennlist Member

@ saifhaq great job on the install, you are the first i have seen that incorporated the stock fader, i don't know anything about the stock radio wiring so could you put pictures up of the wire diagram as complete as possible ( battery to the back of the stereo) mine is hackedd horribly, not even using the fader, and i have so many extra wires that i want to get rid of, i just don't know which go to the fader.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

@Noobi - I would try pulling the head unit and making sure the antenna has power. There's a pre-amp or powered gain or whatever built in to it. Poor reception is more likely a cause of it not having power. Much easier than trying to install a new one somewhere. Also for FM reception the factory shape is almost ideal and I get crystal clear reception.

@gecko - Don't know if my problem will help. If you need the wiring diagram or problems send me a PM. It's not as daunting as it first appears.

Quick Reply: My stereo install (with pictures)