Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My stereo install (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
saifhaq
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the late response, but I haven't had a chance to log onto forums this past few days.

Originally Posted by dpoul34
Where'd you find the Nakamichi? I used to own home units over 20 years ago. Thought they were no longer around.
You can still get new units off ebay. That is where I got mine. I haven't found a Nak office in North America, but Nakamichi Asia has been very helpful with all my requests and questions so far.

Originally Posted by carbongecko
@ saifhaq great job on the install, you are the first i have seen that incorporated the stock fader, i don't know anything about the stock radio wiring so could you put pictures up of the wire diagram as complete as possible ( battery to the back of the stereo) mine is hackedd horribly, not even using the fader, and i have so many extra wires that i want to get rid of, i just don't know which go to the fader.
I didn't use the stock fader, I bypassed it. I will put up some wiring diagrams tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:17 PM
rgp944
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of original radio

How do you remove the original radio/ I have a 968 with an Alpine CR-1.

Thanks.

Rich
Old 09-30-2011, 05:30 PM
GaFFLe
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nakamichi... nice!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:45 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by carbongecko
@ saifhaq great job on the install, you are the first i have seen that incorporated the stock fader, i don't know anything about the stock radio wiring so could you put pictures up of the wire diagram as complete as possible ( battery to the back of the stereo) mine is hackedd horribly, not even using the fader, and i have so many extra wires that i want to get rid of, i just don't know which go to the fader.
I actually used the stock fader for a less conventional usage: I used non-coaxial Audax mid-woofers in the doors, run full range. Then hid Audax tweeters, protected by high-pass capacitors, behind the lower portion of the HVAC outlets on either side of the dash. The fader is then used as a power divider for fine tuning between my front woofers and tweeters. Can cut the tweets out with a flick of the fader when needed.

The Crutchfield harness is the way to go. The reverse power connector is fairly hard to otherwise find, and the kit also includes the all-important 2-pin DIN connectors for the speakers. Even if you don't buy your stereo from Crutchfield, you can still buy the kit from them for a few dollars.

Note: After reading so many stories of hacked up stereo wiring, it gave me the impetus to write the 944 Stereo FAQ. I have gotten a lot of email over the years thanking me for the FAQ. So hopefully this has saved at least some of you from having to deal with hacked up wiring. Here is the latest version of the FAQ (sorry it hasn't been updated in a while...):

http://reality.sgiweb.org/wws/stereo_faq.html

Walter
Old 10-01-2011, 04:10 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Atleast all of your stereo wires werent gone like my 83. Power, ground, ect. I had to put in new speaker wire to all speakers and power supply haha.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by elf89
Nice work. Regarding the speakers, if anyone knows of modern 4x6's that will fit in the doors with the stock grills, please post it here.

JL Audio. beefy, sound good and very VERY expensive. R-Foz. beefy, sound good and way less expensive. gotz me these oversized RFs stuffed in and behind the doors. with the subwoofer added the system is so damn loud, i'm quite certain it offends God.

Quick Reply: My stereo install (with pictures)