Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a club sport a club sport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonH
You're really doing a great job with the details Dan, nice work. Although I have a similar parts list in my 924S you are really going to have a show quality car when done. I'm curious if you compared the weight of the 16" clubsports vs. 15" phones by chance.
Thanks Jon.

To answer some questions about wheel selection:

I could not go with 15" wheels due to the Brembo calipers, so that rules out any 15" options. Also, I detest phone dials...sorry, I just think they are ugly.

My first choice was 16" Fuchs, but I can't use the 911 16" Fuchs because the purportedly do not clear the Brembos, and the 951 part numbers don't have the right offset for the narrow body. So Fuchs were ruled out very early on.

In keeping with the design aesthetic, I wanted to use a Porsche OEM wheel, so that ruled out aftermarket alternatives.

Looking at OEM wheels, I need a late offset wheel in order for it to work on the narrow body car. This was complicated somewhat by the fact that 8" wheels will not fit the narrow body car up front without rubbing either the fender or the strut/spring assembly, and I wanted to maintain ideal balance (steering-wise) that the 924/931 platform is touted for. So that eliminated any staggered offerings. Which meant that I had narrowed my choice down to an OEM 7Jx16" wheel.

In that size, the options were 7Jx16 phoneys; 7Jx16 Gullideckels; 7Jx16 Cups; 7Jx16 Design 93 (aka Cup IIs); 7Jx16 Club Sports; or 7Jx16 Design 90. I decided to go for a forged wheel rather than cast for strength, so that eliminates the Phoneys, the Cups, and the D90s, leaving me with the Magnesium phoneys (ugly and very expensive), Gullideckels (plentiful and cheap but sort of MEH! in the cosmetic department), and Club Sports.

Not only do Club Sports fit the theme in name, but also in spirit! So I acquired two pair of 7Jx16 Club Sports and had them powder coated. I have a staggered set of 6J & 8Jx16 D90s which I may opt to use at some point for a second set of tires...whether that be to use them for show and the Club Sports for track; or use one set for dries and one set for wets...all TBD. But the initial iteration of the car will have the re-finished Club Sports.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by white924s
Is the 931 speedometer driven off of the driver's side wheel? If so, how did you get the speedometer to work with the 951 spindles?

The project looks great by the way!
Mike, thanks!

To answer your question, yes, the stock speedo in the 931 is mechanically driven by a cable that goes through the spindle. Obviously, the spindles I have in order to accommodate the Brembos does not have the required hole.

I toyed with the idea of having it gun-drilled, but ruled that out primarily due to the expense and hassle of finding someone to do it.

As of now, I have not solved the speedometer dilemma. I have moved the tach to the center position and re-clocked it with 6000 RPM in the 12:00 position. I've disconnected the stock speedometer and moved it to the right. My ultimate plan is to purchase a new electronic speedometer and trigger it off of a magnet that will be affixed to one of the rear CVs. This will require a run of two conductor cable, a method of affixing the magnet to the CV, and a bracket for a pickup. A couple of local friends are using such an arrangement to drive their data acquisition gear in race cars, so I think I have the theoretical aspects figured out...just haven't gotten to the execution phase yet ;-)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words.

Late last week, I acquired a freshly rebuild Carrera GT spec K26 turbo. Unfortunately, the turbine housing was not coated, so I couldn't just bolt it on to the motor, otherwise, the motor would have been in the chassis last weekend.

I am scheduled to pick up the turbine housing from the coaters on Thursday PM or Friday AM. Once I have it in hand, the CGT K26 will be swapped onto the motor, and then the motor can go in, followed by the exhaust, and then buttoning up the radiator & cooling system install, followed by the hood, front bumper, and lower valance. Then time to fire her up!!! Hopefully by next weekend if not sooner.

Oh yeah, and when that's all done, then apply the custom graphics (bwahahaha) and then new tires on the Club Sport rims.

Getting close!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

my Alpine head unit has Nav and a speedo which is very accurate, so this may be an option but I have also seen a GPS speedo available online, that would also be an option

peace
Cyberpunky
Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

GPS! Brilliant! Hadn't thought of that...SpeedHut has some nice (if not pricey) options:
http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-886.htm
Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if I recall, someone has taken apart a 951 cluster, mouned the speedometer mech inside a 924 housing and then used the 951 pickup.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:42 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In regards to the 1991 Club Sports, 7 944S2 ClubSports were imported in '91 for the Firehawk series. Of the 7 cars, 5 are survivors, and I know 3 of them (2 are in NJ, I own one) and have all the VIN #'s for all the cars, some history, and know the general whereabouts with pcitures and various documentation. If interested, pm me.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:13 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

BTW ideola.....I love your garage.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:43 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

glad to see this coming along. did you ever post what size tires you put on the clubsports? ive got a set of 4 7in ones that ive debated using.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

I haven't actually purchased tires yet. I am still debating what to use. The wheels in the photo are D90s with thread-bare rollers on 'em. I have a set of four 7" Club Sports (the ones powdered coated satin black earlier in the thread), and then two sets of staggered 7"/9" Club Sports. I am thinking about having two sets with track tires, one for wet and one for dry, and then using the third set for street tires. I would like to run 7s for track use to maintain balance, and then possibly use a staggered set for street use.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

That is what I get for viewing the pics on a tiny phone screen.

I am planning 225s all round but don't have a good way to test it.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Completed this stuff back on 23 March:

Completed engine bay:

How about a little in-cockpit boost adjustability to spice things up:

All new stainless hardware for the custom cat-delete two-section main exhaust, with stainless band-clamp at the slip joint:

Gear-reduction starter, among other goodies in this shot:

Stainless Stage8 hardware and flex-coupler on the ceramic-coated j-pipe:

Oil drain plug modified for oil temp sensor:
Old 04-03-2012, 06:24 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Engine is in and running. Time for break-in. Suspension still to be tweaked (lowered in the rear, 4-wheel alignment, and corner weighted). Still need to install all of the new instrumentation (GPS speedo, AEM WB AFR, boost gauge, oil temp gauge, etc.). "ClubSport" badging still to go on. But getting closer!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent! I assume you're bringing her to the fest? I want to see that car on the track.

Quick Reply: What makes a club sport a club sport?