Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate to do it but I have to sell my 951, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I do. Although these cars hold up extremely well to high mileage, the maintenance cost rises in direct proportion to the miles. BTDT.

Plus, it hurts to see your precious sportscar get road rash from miles you're putting on for somebody else.

I drive my 951 for myself, thank you!

I will second the cheap Honda option, though!
I enjoy my car, but I do not obsess over it. I drive it as it should be, and take care of it as best I can. I wash and wax it, vacuum it out, and fix paint chips, but it does not keep me from driving it whenever I have the opportunity. I drive my car for myself, too, every time I drive it, regardless of why.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to stilleto- Original paint, albeit shabby, is way better than any respray. New paint is more often used as a repair. If you have all original paint - leave it alone. A proper respray is thousands of dollars. A discriminating buyer will look for original paint over a respray anyday for a DD. Original paint speaks volumes of truth about the condition of the car.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I enjoy my car, but I do not obsess over it. I drive it as it should be, and take care of it as best I can. I wash and wax it, vacuum it out, and fix paint chips, but it does not keep me from driving it whenever I have the opportunity. I drive my car for myself, too, every time I drive it, regardless of why.
I think your car doesn't really apply here, as we're comparing with a bone stock 951 which will only get worse for wear with added miles, whereas you're getting an 'extreme makeover' 3.1L engine put in yours.

Look at it this way: it's easier and more trouble free to put miles on a cheap Honda than on a 951. Just do the math. I know I have.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I think your car doesn't really apply here, as we're comparing with a bone stock 951 which will only get worse for wear with added miles, whereas you're getting an 'extreme makeover' 3.1L engine put in yours.

Look at it this way: it's easier and more trouble free to put miles on a cheap Honda than on a 951. Just do the math. I know I have.
Am I getting a new engine? yes (sitting at my house on an engine stand at the moment). Is the current engine original? Yes, altho slightly modified. My car has been fairly stock for 5 years, with a MAF added just a little while ago so I feel my car fits into the "category". Altho others would argue that due to my modifications, my "reliability" should decrease, I have yet to be stranded anywhere for anything other than a flat tire, and the worst I've had to do is replace a wheel bearing and fix two oil leaks. I still have yet to experience this whole "high mileage/increased maintenance cost" phenomenon. So coming form personal experience, I disagree (and not only in reference to 951s, but in reference to every vehicle I have owned at or over 200k miles, which is every one).

I would be happy to refer sellers to him so he can move on with his plans tho. I'm passing his car on to some of my buddies to see if they are interested.

To the OP, I hope everything works out for you!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
to stilleto- Original paint, albeit shabby, is way better than any respray. New paint is more often used as a repair. If you have all original paint - leave it alone. A proper respray is thousands of dollars. A discriminating buyer will look for original paint over a respray anyday for a DD. Original paint speaks volumes of truth about the condition of the car.
As a buyer, I look for original paint because it tells me a lot about the car and gives me some comfort that it hasn't been in a major accident. My concerns have nothing to do with the quality of the paint.

A good paint shop can not only meet but can often exceed the quality of factory paint. One of my biggest complaints on new cars is the quality of the paint. Very few do a truly exceptional job (looking at my garage - Aston Martin does incredible paint. Ferrari is terrible. Porsche is slightly above average.). There are certainly valid reasons to keep original paint but quality should not be a concern if you're using a good shop - and, yes, that means big $. Probably closer to $10k than you'd like to hear.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:38 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
As a buyer, I look for original paint because it tells me a lot about the car and gives me some comfort that it hasn't been in a major accident. My concerns have nothing to do with the quality of the paint.

A good paint shop can not only meet but can often exceed the quality of factory paint. One of my biggest complaints on new cars is the quality of the paint. Very few do a truly exceptional job (looking at my garage - Aston Martin does incredible paint. Ferrari is terrible. Porsche is slightly above average.). There are certainly valid reasons to keep original paint but quality should not be a concern if you're using a good shop - and, yes, that means big $. Probably closer to $10k than you'd like to hear.
just my 2 cents but most normal people cant tell a good quality paint job from a poor quality. As long as its shiny they think its good. I see no reason to put a 8-10k job on a car that will be driven on a regular basis and not shown off. Waste of money. Paint on a car is much like anything else it wears down and needs to be (refurbished) or replaced.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
just my 2 cents but most normal people cant tell a good quality paint job from a poor quality. As long as its shiny they think its good. I see no reason to put a 8-10k job on a car that will be driven on a regular basis and not shown off. Waste of money. Paint on a car is much like anything else it wears down and needs to be (refurbished) or replaced.
Depends on your priorities, I guess. As for it "wearing down", if you take care of your paint, it can last a forever (or close to it). No reason for it to "wear down". You just need to be careful and know how to take care of it. I do agree that most people can't tell good paint from bad. But then again, most people don't know a Mitsubishi Eclipse from an Aston Martin and I ain't about to start driving an Eclipse just because most people don't know the difference!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:47 AM
macho_mango
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am inclined to agree with the comments about an original paint job. My car still has most of its original paint (with the exception of a rear panel) but when you put some cut polish to it, it still shines up really nice. I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the original paint job that came on the porsches.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

OP, if you sell it for 8 what will you spend on the new car? If you are spending 8 you are not in a much better boat than you are in now.

If it was me, i would drive the 95 for a few months and try to save say 4k, then spend that 4k on a used domestic and kill that.

then you can fix any damage you think you did to the 951 by driving it a few months.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
bulldog24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to my original conundrum, I hear everything you are saying but I still think I'll have to sell the 951 to get cash to buy something else. If I could save up several thousand real quick I would and just be real careful until then but with being out of work for a while, I've got a lot of other bills that have to be paid off before that could happen. I haven't had any issues with mine either other than a squeaky hatch and a thermo switch but I don't want to tempt fate and ruin my resale value by driving it hard.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put it on the market and see what you can get for it. Im sure most of us dont know your situation so.... if your forced to sell it then your forced to sell it. No bone about it. Good luck with the sale. ide ask 9 and settle for 8
Craigslist
Rennlist
Pelicanparts
local bulletinboard

try all of these
Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldog24
Well, my territory will cover most of North Texas as well as West Texas. I've not had any problems with the car but driving from Dallas to Midland is a 5 hour trip with not much but oil wells and tumble weeds in between. It just doesn't make sense to rack up those kind of miles on a 23 year old car, not mention that if something were to go wrong I'd be in up a creek without the proverbial paddle.
I've run back and forth from Phoenix to LA and San Diego lots of times in my 86. That's about 5 hours each way. It's got 187,000 miles on it.

OTOH I just took it to Vegas and back and something bad happened as I pulled into my garage.

New cars break too.

Quick Reply: Hate to do it but I have to sell my 951, need advice