Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Power Increase with Stand-alone ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

if you want more power, start with a turbo. otherwise you will always be chasing your tail, unless your car is built to a class. as a few of our customer cars are. going standalone in my opinion is a complete waste of time. This of course is my opinion.
As patrick says be careful with numbers. one dyno is not what the next dyno will produce.
what would i do? well if i were after the fastest lap times i would sell my 944 turbo and buy a radical. but i like to make our 951 faster and thats what brings a smile to my face, when i can compete with gt3's thats what i feel its all about.
$1000au wont even get you a base tune in any standalone. then plan another $1000au for each additional tune at the very least.
We bought a vitesse stage 3 knowing that it works, its performed flawlessly on our car for 3 years with no problems and has several lap records.
if you want to take your s2 to the next level, then cams and exhaust are the way to go. it will not be cheap, just dont expect the same performance gains as a turbo.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's a street car, I don't know if i'd go full stand alone. For me it was ok, since the car was stripped and we replaced all wiring, so that took care of wiring for the Motec.
The dyno numbers are just that, numbers, all I know is that we stepped up power with 15hp after installing the bigger injectors and re-tuning the engine. We'll be doing that again this week to tune in the new FPR, TPS etc. I just dont know if it would be worth the hassle for a daily driver.

H
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
I understand that it is all in the tuning. I would have thought $1,000 for tuning would be reasonable.

John, what sort of hp do you get out of an S2 with your MAF kit?
To get the most out of your S2, you must tune it. The S2 MAF + our software gained approx 10-17hp across the board (based on a before and after on pump gas). We are not concerned about peak numbers. The area under the power curve is much more important to us. So is throttle response.

We work with front runner serious racers, they bring their cars from all over the USA to get them tuned. Tuning is the only way to get the "most" out of a engine. Obviously, some cannot travel thousands of miles to tune their cars, which is why we came up with a PiggyBack solution so they can alter the tune we supply.

Having tuned many S2s in various configurations, some are supercharged. The first thing I would concentrate on is the health of the engine. A worn out engine will not make any power no matter what. Plugs, plug wires, cap & rotor, fuel injectors, AFM, knock sensors.. all must be functioning properly to get any power out of the engine. A healthy engine might make more, a worn out engine will not make the power and should be refreshed first.

Don't expect huge numbers. The more power you want to get out of your engine, the more expensive it gets.

Last edited by fast951; 03-08-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Corrected the HP Figure
Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HJK
If it's a street car, I don't know if i'd go full stand alone. For me it was ok, since the car was stripped and we replaced all wiring, so that took care of wiring for the Motec.
The dyno numbers are just that, numbers, all I know is that we stepped up power with 15hp after installing the bigger injectors and re-tuning the engine. We'll be doing that again this week to tune in the new FPR, TPS etc. I just dont know if it would be worth the hassle for a daily driver.

H
It is a street car, but not a daily driver. It's getting more track orientated all the time. Already have installed stiffer springs, coilovers, 968CS sway bars. Next is race seat then LSD. I don't want to rip out the interior. I would like to increase power to around 240hp to get near class limits, get more driving experience and then finally install a supercharger.

Do you kow what sort of AFR you are getting at WOT with those bigger injectors (on the last dyno)? Was the extra hp achieved much higher in the rev range?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
To get the most out of your S2, you must tune it. The S2 MAF + our software gained approx 10-17rwhp across the board (based on a before and after on pump gas). We are not concerned about peak numbers. The area under the power curve is much more important to us. So is throttle response.
John, this is a little ambiguous: When you say "10-17rwhp across the board", are you talking about a 10-17hp increase in max hp? Or are you talking about an increase of 10-17rwhp across the whole rpm range ("area under power curve")?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
HJK
Pro

It is a street car, but not a daily driver. It's getting more track orientated all the time. Already have installed stiffer springs, coilovers, 968CS sway bars. Next is race seat then LSD. I don't want to rip out the interior. I would like to increase power to around 240hp to get near class limits, get more driving experience and then finally install a supercharger.

Do you kow what sort of AFR you are getting at WOT with those bigger injectors (on the last dyno)? Was the extra hp achieved much higher in the rev range?
When/If we're dynoing this week i will pay some more attention to those details and will revert. The way my guy works, is he hooks the laptop up to the motec. the car has got a wideband o2 sensor and they just fiddle with that laptop for hours. If I have the chance to be at the dyno i will look for your numbers.

Henk
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
John, this is a little ambiguous: When you say "10-17rwhp across the board", are you talking about a 10-17hp increase in max hp? Or are you talking about an increase of 10-17rwhp across the whole rpm range ("area under power curve")?
Power gains were observed across the board, across the RPM range (at WOT of course). The area under the power curve!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power gains were observed across the board, across the RPM range (at WOT of course). The area under the power curve!
So, is the 10-17hp increase you refer to an increase of max hp? Or are you saying at all parts of the power curve (say 3000rpm) you will see an increase of somewhere between 10-17hp?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
So, is the 10-17hp increase you refer to an increase of max hp? Or are you saying at all parts of the power curve (say 3000rpm) you will see an increase of somewhere between 10-17hp?
The chart I have did not start till 3000rpm. As a example, at 3400 RPM we saw 8hp gain and 12 lb-ft. @3800 RPM we saw a gain 12hp and 16 lb-ft.. @5100 we saw 15 & 15. (at he crank - this was on 100+K miles engines).

On a fresh engine we saw much higher numbers. Numbers also differ between stock and non stock exhaust & headers.

As mentioned already, the above are just numbers. You use a different dyno, the numbers will be different.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:31 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To get the fastest lap time, I would concentrate on suspension, brakes and driving skills. The extra 10-20hp will not make a huge difference, unless you are getting 100% out of your car.
I have tuned a class winner S2 that made below average power, as the engine needed some attention. The car was a front runner because it was setup correctly and the driver was a hot shoe.
I also tuned S2s that made amazing power (for a S2), but ran mid-pack as the setup and the driver were still improving.

Having said that, we all want more power
Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go with the standalone.
meh - it is just a software change... MAP sensor is not hardware dependent.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

I also tuned S2s that made amazing power (for a S2), but ran mid-pack as the setup and the driver were still improving.
John, what sort of power do you call amazing? Is that similar to the 17hp you mentioned earlier or much higher? In your experience, is there much to be gained by either swapping the cat for an aftermarket hi flow or cat delete in conjunction with your MAF and dyno tune?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:48 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Another cheaper option is a piggyback. I ran a Haltech Interceptor last year when my car was naturally aspirated. Although there are tuning limitations it was enough to allow needed adjustment for cams and bigger injectors, exhaust etc. Very simple install and easy to tune.

The Haltech even ran fine with my initial low boost supercharger install, but once I upped the boost the MAF was maxed out and limitations in fueling control started to show up. I have now gone to a Motec standalone and MAP for more tuning control.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Another cheaper option is a piggyback. I ran a Haltech Interceptor last year when my car was naturally aspirated. Although there are tuning limitations it was enough to allow needed adjustment for cams and bigger injectors, exhaust etc. Very simple install and easy to tune.

The Haltech even ran fine with my initial low boost supercharger install, but once I upped the boost the MAF was maxed out and limitations in fueling control started to show up. I have now gone to a Motec standalone and MAP for more tuning control.
What sensors does the Haltech intercept? Does the Haltech allow ignition timing adjustments? Is the fuel control done by altering the AFM signal?

What sort of improvement did the Haltech give you for the NA configuration?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 AM
HJK
Pro

Eric,

You live in the land of Motec! Why don't you have some one have a look if they can use your existing wiring, get a second hand M4 and a few sensors and of you go, plenty of flexibility for the future, turbo charge, supercharge, anything goes. If you have a bit of interest yourself you get the connecting cables and the software is a free download from Motec website, they even give training there! man, a world opens up.....

H

Quick Reply: S2 Power Increase with Stand-alone ECU?