Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Matrix woes - How to Remove the Heater Blower

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010 | 05:38 PM
FortyFourS2
6th Gear

Default Heater Matrix woes - How to Remove the Heater Blower

Firstly, hello from the other side of the pond, and it certainly looks like a half decent site with quite a bit of info.

On my 1989 944 S2, it is currently suffering from a failed heater matrix and I have replaced nearly all of the cooling components (new radiator, pipes going to the rad, in addition to using a genuine Porsche thermostat (it seemed better built than the one I picked up from the motor factor anyway).

I have taken the dash out, and undone the two 10mm bolts which secure the matrix to the dash. In addition, I have also removed the 6 8mm bolts within the engine bay which secures the motor to the heater box/bulkhead. However it refuses to move.

I assume there is sealant/etc holding it or have I missed something? Damn, you LHD people have it lucky with less wiring and no steering column being in the way of the heater matrix.

Anyway, hello .
Old 03-06-2010 | 06:08 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

From: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Hello, The air/heater blower motor housing has a soft rubber gasket that seals out water. If you have a heat gun or hair dryer go around the edges to soften the rubber and pry it loose. You use 3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer to reinstall the unit. Why are you removing the unit? The resistor (White rectangular) on top might be bad. Does the blower come on at all when you turn the switch on?

Cheers,
Larry
Old 03-06-2010 | 07:17 PM
FortyFourS2
6th Gear

My blower is working fine, but my heater matrix is leaking quite badly. Unlike the US/LHD cars, the steering column makes access a little more awkward on RHD. I am removing it so that I can move the heater box across a little so as to slide the matrix out.

Quick Reply: Heater Matrix woes - How to Remove the Heater Blower