Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to find a good mechanic or shop in Tidewater area of VA

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Hey curt P how you been there is a gathering also at outdoor world in hampton. How may porsche are at the place on your side and what time of saturday do it go on?
Bass Pro? I show up there every once in a while too, but last year it seemed to be a mostly a bunch of punks and ricers. The official cruise-in they had there I think was cancelled. I hope it comes back again because I did like the drive out there with the windows down and the roof panel off.

I'm the only 951 that comes out there. Sometimes there's a 911 or two, and I've seen a 914 out there, but that's about it. It's a gathering of a few old, poorly restored cars, a bunch of clapped out Mustangs and Corvette owners who think they own an exotic
Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curtp...seems like you see a lot of that these days. I do like cruise-ins because there is often something that really stands out. Be it a mustang or El Camino, often you find some talent.
I've been following this thread because I was born in Newport News(Riverside)and I haven't been back in a while.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 AM
CurtP
Drifting

I go because I like to hang out with my car friends. We all drive something different and we don't like clubs/teams that are car specific. At Jenro's, we're usually at the far end down by the bank. We'll be the guys sitting on folding chairs, usually on the grass median people watching and making snide comments. I'm usually in either my Formula or my 951, but this year it looks like I'll be there mostly in my WK.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At bass pro there used to be a guy in an ls swapped white na..

No wait, he used to go to the meets that used to be at home depot
Old 03-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Chubbs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I'd bop in here since I'm in the Norfolk area. Do any of you guys know of any autocrosses in the area? I've been looking for an excuse to go stretch the cars legs a bit.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, they have them on base in Va. beach.....IIRC, 4 times a year. Then of course you have them at VIR and one event at Langley Speedway.

Google mid atlantic auto-x......it will give you a full schedule of events.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

well curt I was up there at bass pro like 2 weeks ago so there would have been like one more porsche...
Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chubbs
I thought I'd bop in here since I'm in the Norfolk area. Do any of you guys know of any autocrosses in the area? I've been looking for an excuse to go stretch the cars legs a bit.
Originally Posted by CPR
Yep, they have them on base in Va. beach.....IIRC, 4 times a year. Then of course you have them at VIR and one event at Langley Speedway.

Google mid atlantic auto-x......it will give you a full schedule of events.
During the Spring/Summer/Fall, there's an autocross event almost every/every other weekend. I think there are 8 scheduled for ACU4 this year:
http://www.tidewatersportscarclub.com

Maybe Slantnose! will stop back in and let us know the schedule. Quite a few of us in our little group autocross. Because of car issues, I only made it out to a few events last season. I was hoping to participate more this year, but my car won't be on the road anytime soon. Maybe I'll take the Formula out there and play Kone Killer!

I'd like to know what's up with Pungo this year. They're on again/off again all the time
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to go to one of those autocrosses at the amphibious base last year but it got rained out, havnt tried since.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Chubbs
Advanced

It looks like they are running an autocross this sunday if any one is interested. I'm strongly considering going if I can get the time free.

Quick Reply: Need to find a good mechanic or shop in Tidewater area of VA