Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector spraying gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:51 PM
krookideyez
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector spraying gas

Hey guys, I've had about 2 warm enough days to work on the 944 this winter and it hasn't gone well at all. Both days I spent trying to fix a leaking injector problem and both days were failures.

It's sort of a long story as to what is going on but basically I had to remove the entire intake manifold to replace an idle control valve hose back in November when it was still warm enough to work outside. When I reassembled everything, I put new o-rings and caps on the injectors.

I started it up and everything was fine. I drove around the block a few times and it was 100%.

Late December I went outside on a warm enough day to start it up since it had been a month since it was last started. Started it and let it run for a few minutes. When I looked up I noticed it was spraying gas out of the 4th injector! I looked at all the gaps between injectors and intake manifold and they looked equal.

I took everything apart and removed the injectors from the intake manifold to inspect. I couldn't find anything wrong. So then I tried to push the 4th injector manually into the manifold to get it deeper. Ended up cracking the brand new cap so I ordered another.

Today I went out because it was a nice warm day and reinstalled everything again. I installed the injectors while attached to the fuel rail then tightened the fuel rail down. This is the correct way of doing it right?

Everything looked good, then I started it up. It is now spraying out of the 1st injector!!!! I know it's not the injector itself because I put them all back in the same cylinder as before and now it's spraying out a different injector.

Does anyone have an idea on what is going on here? My best guess is that the injectors aren't sitting in the holes correctly. Could this be right? I'm tightening the fuel rail bolts down tightly. Is there a certain way to install the fuel rail and injectors without having this problem?

Has anyone had a problem like this before? Thanks so much in advance!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

are you putting any kind of lubrication on the o-rings before you install the rail? Also make sure the caps are on all the way on the injector- i usually use a 10mm socket and push the cap onto the injector until it is pinning the lower o-ring in place.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 PM
krookideyez
Track Day

I used wd-40 to lube up the o-rings. and yes, the caps were all the way on the injectors, that I made sure of.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 PM
krookideyez
Track Day

I removed the fuel rail this morning and turns out one of the o-rings has a tear in it. And it wasn't even one of the injectors that was spraying. I'm assuming the combination of a lack of lubrication and the torn o-ring was causing enough binding that the injectors wouldn't sit properly into the intake manifold which was causing this spraying.

So now I have to remove the bad o-ring but how can I remove the cap without damaging it? After removing the old caps and breaking each one I don't feel confident removing this cap just yet.

Is there a special way to remove the cap without cracking or breaking it?

PS - Luckily I saved the old o-rings which are in pretty good condition so I'll replace the new one with an old one in the best condition.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:34 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krookideyez
I removed the fuel rail this morning and turns out one of the o-rings has a tear in it. And it wasn't even one of the injectors that was spraying. I'm assuming the combination of a lack of lubrication and the torn o-ring was causing enough binding that the injectors wouldn't sit properly into the intake manifold which was causing this spraying.

So now I have to remove the bad o-ring but how can I remove the cap without damaging it? After removing the old caps and breaking each one I don't feel confident removing this cap just yet.

Is there a special way to remove the cap without cracking or breaking it?

PS - Luckily I saved the old o-rings which are in pretty good condition so I'll replace the new one with an old one in the best condition.
Replace all the o-rings with new ones. Even better, take the injectors to be checked and rebuilt at a diesel injection service. It won't cost you that much and is worth doing while you have them out. Also make sure the area where they are seating is not dirty and crudded up.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector spraying gas