Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enlarging 951/S2 front radiator opening

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh duh..

Or maybe the heat shield above the header shielding the coolant line. I dont know haha.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Oh duh..

Or maybe the heat shield above the header shielding the coolant line. I dont know haha.
Or maybe toothpaste... coat your exhaust with toothpaste , but make sure you pack the muffler with it for maximum effect!

SOOOO, why didn't Porsche ever look at swapping the exhaust and intake sides of the head (balance shafts were good enough from Mitsu, but Nissan is off planet with their head setup?)... you know, exhaust on the side where the turbo is and intake on the bottom side where they could duct in LOTS of cool air... I am surprised no one has yet tried this.... and while we are at it, lets start a discussion on fender vents... and a rear mounted radiator... 911s have their engine in the back, and radiator in the front, I think we should have engine in the front and radiator in the back!

SOMEBODY STOP ME... I'm on a roll tonight...
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 PM
tman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951
More pictures please!!!

and maybe a bit of documentation...

if you dont mind.
I take some better pics someday.
Big fmic and an oil cooler where stock ic sits. Aluminum ductwork directing air to oil cooler and intercooler.
Vents on the hood really seemed to help get all that hot air out.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:20 AM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
You kinda lost me here pal... care to explain?
The OP wanted to control is coolant temps. You can open up the airflow to the radiator, that will help, however only when you are moving past a certain speed. If you would ceramic coat the exhaust pipes, you would control underhood and engine temps better and at the same time add a performance benefit to the car (more energy to spin the turbine, less heat soak into the intake system, longer life of non metal components under the hood including wiring). Also opening up the front bumper would add aerodynamic drag and more air into the engine compartment, which does not help your intercooler situation.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Im with you now. I was just confused because you werent alluding to that in your first post.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Tman, car looks great! Can you show some better pics of the hood vents.
So you had the large opening for the fmic first and then put in the hood vents? Did you get any quantifiable change or even datalogging?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 AM
JBreckeen
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies . . . .

I was talking about all the temps, coolant, IC, oil, and general underhood. I like the idea of a hood outlet vent, and will start to explore that: I completely understand the benefit of that, and looks aren't my biggest concern. This is for a trackcar only - not street or auto-X, so cooling airflow vs drag is the factors . . .

On that subject, do you guys use header/exhaust wrap? The 4" exhaust is very new in the car, so I will not be changing that anytime soon.

Thansk again for the replies, all great info - execpt for the toothpaste idea?!?!?

JBreckeen
88 951
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

A Risi Competizione tech figured the toothpaste idea out a while back. It works better than ceramic coating.

And none of that is true.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JBreckeen
Thanks for all the replies . . . .

I was talking about all the temps, coolant, IC, oil, and general underhood. I like the idea of a hood outlet vent, and will start to explore that: I completely understand the benefit of that, and looks aren't my biggest concern. This is for a trackcar only - not street or auto-X, so cooling airflow vs drag is the factors . . .

On that subject, do you guys use header/exhaust wrap? The 4" exhaust is very new in the car, so I will not be changing that anytime soon.

Thansk again for the replies, all great info - execpt for the toothpaste idea?!?!?

JBreckeen
88 951
Sorry bout that, I was having a bad night last night... the toothpaste thing was a joke, and forgot to check which side of the pond you were on... the humor here doesn't convey well, but I bet if I had said load em up with bangers it would have gone over beter... Or maybe a dead parrot or two (I love BBC comedy, and miss Montey Python...but that is a different discussion)

Ceramic coating of the entire exhaust is a GOOD idea, verry effective at keeping the heat in the exhaust, rather than having it dump into the engine bay, ALSO consider ceramic coating the intake tract, it will keep the heat OUT of the intake air (to some extent)... Header wrap isn't a good idea unless you like taking it off periodically for inspection of your exhaust, and as the stock exhaust is double walled there is little help from exhaust wrap other than to hold moisture against the exhaust pipe while the car isn't in use...

Ceramic is FAR better at holding the energy in the pipes to more efficiently spool the turbo!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

+1 on the ceramic comments above.

Further to the point on header wraps, there are plenty of anecdotes that indicate header wraps are a Really Bad Idea because they trap heat AND moisture and contribute to accelerated wear of the header. Ceramic coating is far superior, and should be done both INSIDE and OUTSIDE the header. The interior coating helps minimize heat soak into the metal itself (which in turn keeps heat in the exhaust tract for optimal functioning of the turbine); the exterior coating helps minimize radiated heat into the engine bay.

Regarding efficiency of the cooling circuit, the low pressure duct on the hood will help significantly with optimizing the intercooler function. As for improving the radiator function, I've reached the conclusion that a proper under tray with low pressure air foils & exits is critical for "sucking" air out of the engine bay.

I don't believe that increasing the size of the opening is the most important factor, but rather, improving the flow air through radiator. The two best things you can do to accomplish better flow through the rad is to build sealed baffles around the opening to the front of the rad, which will force ALL air to go through the rad, rather than around it; and secondly, by providing a suitable exit path behind the rad, which can be significantly assisted by an undertray with multiple low pressure airfoil-and-vent exits.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM
JBreckeen
Rennlist Member

JKW, ideola, et all:

Thanks much for the info, very usefull. You have helped my aim. The ceramics will have to wait abit, but the cons of wraps make sense. I am sketching up some ideas for the hood vents - great ideas.

I am already in the process of baffling the radiator, oil cooler, and trying to relocate the intake air to get out of the engine compartment, but this helps.

As for the toothpaste - I have forgot to update my profile, and no longer understand the sarcasm of the Brits . . .

Anyway, Thanks again

JBreckeen
88 951
Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JBreckeen
JKW, ideola, et all:

Thanks much for the info, very usefull. You have helped my aim. The ceramics will have to wait abit, but the cons of wraps make sense. I am sketching up some ideas for the hood vents - great ideas.

I am already in the process of baffling the radiator, oil cooler, and trying to relocate the intake air to get out of the engine compartment, but this helps.

As for the toothpaste - I have forgot to update my profile, and no longer understand the sarcasm of the Brits . . .

Anyway, Thanks again

JBreckeen
88 951
Oh Jesus, Florida...

So, have they instituted manditory training above age 30 to vote down there yet?

Just kidding, I am also sketching out hood vent ideas, planing an engine rebuild, and getting everything together to go over the top with a few other bits and pieces "while I am in there.."

Good luck and keep us all posted... OH and the ceramic coating is amazingly cost efficient, just get a quote from JetHot coatings, or ask ramius665 as he JUST has his full exhaust done!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Is it Florida or Floria??

JK, just for you....

The sketch:

A customer enters a pet shop.

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The owner does not respond.)

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Praline: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!

Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you
show...

(owner hits the cage)

Owner: There, he moved!

Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!

Owner: I never!!

Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!

Owner: I never, never did anything...

Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!

(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!

Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?

Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.

Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour
ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.

Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.

Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?

Owner: The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!

Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the
first place was that it had been NAILED there.

(pause)

Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that bird down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and
VOOM! Feeweeweewee!

Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!

Owner: No no! 'E's pining!

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

(pause)

Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. (he takes a quick peek behind the counter) Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh,
we're right out of parrots.

Mr. Praline: I see. I see, I get the picture.

Owner: I got a slug.

(pause)

Mr. Praline: Pray, does it talk?

Owner: Nnnnot really.

Mr. Praline: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?

Owner: N-no, I guess not. (gets ashamed, looks at his feet)

Mr. Praline: Well.

(pause)

Owner: (quietly) D'you.... d'you want to come back to my place?

Mr. Praline: (looks around) Yeah, all right, sure.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Opeth
Pro

haha that sketch is priceless!

Also, I think its pronounced "Flo-rida"
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2010, 08:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Default I DO SO APPOLOGIZE FOR DRAGGING THIS THREAD OFF TOPIC

But for anyone living under a rock who has NO idea what we are blathering on about...

Now to go watch some Wuthering Heights!

Quick Reply: Enlarging 951/S2 front radiator opening