Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More idle problems/cooling

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 01:47 AM
951Badger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post More idle problems/cooling

Ok, sorry to beat this subject up but I'm a little worried/bugged.

Took my 951 in for some work (cooling system flush) and some check-up. The mechanic said he had to do a minor adjustment on the injectors and also added some fuel treatment to keep things clean.

Now my car idles at 1000 rpm (before it was around 850 or so) and drops to 850 or so when the air conditioner is engaged.

Dammit! It seems like it was in better shape before I took it in. Also seems to be running even hotter now! The put in 75% distilled water 25% anti-freeze. If I engage the A/C...Boom the second engine fan automatically comes on!

Could the fuel additive be the culprit in the idle issue?

I need advice as I'm calling these guys back on Monday if there's a problem.

Thanks all!
Old 08-17-2002, 04:17 AM
BRB_85.5_NA
Racer

"Trust your mechanic to mend your car
One thing's fixed another falls apart..."
--Dead Kennedys

I couldn't tell you exactly what is going on, but I can tell you that injectors are never "adjusted" unless he flow-matched them--ask the guy exactly what he meant by that, and ask him what fuel system treatment he used. There are sensors for idle speed etc. that might have been affected. Your overheating could be due to air in the system (improperly bled). Could also be as basic as they didn't put enough fluid in--check your expansion tank to make sure the level is up. Did they change the t-stat? check the upper radiator hose to make sure it's opening--should get warm.

In any case they clearly screwed up. YOu have legitimate beefs here: give them a chance to make it right then think about taking your business elsewhere depending on their response.

B
Old 08-17-2002, 04:33 AM
Loki
Instructor

When you turn on the A/C, you're high speed cooling fan is suppose to come on(shuts down when cruising). The car should idle around 900rpm, my idle does not change between A/C on and off. I don't know what your mechanic did, but you are idling a little high. Also, I personally don't entirely trust my temp gauge. I always get a higher reading when the car is running, than when it the key is in the on position(gauges active, car not running).

Chris
Old 08-17-2002, 02:57 PM
951Badger
Racer

Great advice so far, thanks guys. I KNEW I shouldn't have tried a new mechanic! Back to my old tried and true...
Old 08-17-2002, 03:46 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Some proffessional mechanics (the ones who realy know these cars) can adjust your idle and air-fuel misture. I know how at least for 944na. On your mass air flow sensor there are two points one could adjust - under the black cover there is a toothed wheel and a hex adj. screw next to the black plastic cover. For the screw they would have to drill a hole to get to it, for the wheel - the have to pry open the plastic cover (it is glued on the MAF). If you see those drilled and open that means they messed with - don't do it yourself - factory doesn't recommend messing with it at all. My mechanic "played" with it to pass smog... Anyways, if they said they "adjusted injectors" - this might be what they ment.

However, I tend to agree with prev. posts, cooling system is not bled properly that's why it is running hotter, fan should come on when A/C is on. As for idle, that might be a non-related to "running hotter" problem, and could be caused by them "adjusting injectors".

Another idea is to try checking for loose vacuum hoses - they might just forgot to put one back...

One more thing, if the clearner adds more octain to gasoline, it might (stretching it) result in higher idle...

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: More idle problems/cooling