Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little surface rust in battery tray.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 10:45 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A little surface rust in battery tray.

I have the battery out and noticed some surface rust in the front of the battery tray right where the bottom and front side meet. What should I do? I plan to keep this car a long time so I want to make sure it stays in the best shape possible. I am not that concerned with it matching th color 100% and all that? Do I sand it and spray with what? Would it be smart after treating the metal to put the rubber under body stuff on the bottom and maybe a 1/2 inch up the sides? I am open for sugestions. I will post a pic here later I had to come home to get the camera.

EDIT PICTURES ADDED

Old 08-16-2002, 10:53 PM
ram_one
Racer

I would actually add a battery mat beneath the battery.
I had to perform this surgery myself a few years back. Mine actually rusted through and I was getting water into the passenger footwell.
Sanded.Bondoed.Sanded some more.Painted.Battery mat. No problems in the three years since I did it.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:57 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Before you do anything and after you do everything pour some baking powder mixed with water into the battery tray. This will neutralize the battery acid and help to prevent more corrosion.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:06 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Last year I had some surface rust too. I tested the tray and found that it was still sound so to keep it that way here is what I did:

I did the baking soda wash to get rid of the acid then washed again to get rid of any residue. Sanded the loose paint away the applied rust converter to the rusted areas in several light coats. Painted the tray using several light coats of automotive paint. Coated the tray with a light coat of the black rubberized undercoating.

Everything has been great since then with no sign of rust. The battery acid is very corosive so I went a step further and made a plastic shield from a windshield washer bottle to prevent the water draining off the windshield and running over the battery and washing the acid into the tray. Every now and then when I wash the car I make sure I wash out battery tray with baking soda wash and rince it thoroughly with water.

The next time I purchase parts I will get one of those Battery Matts like someone suggested. I know my action may seem extream but after seeing what a rusted out tray looks and the effort needed to repair the damage I donn't want that to happen to my car.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:20 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Ok I will do the baking soda wash to start. Can I get rust converter at a automotive store? I will do that then put I guess a primer then some paint I can find that might be close to my color. Any chance I will find a battery mat someplace local? Are they thick there wasn't much extra on the bolt that sticcks up to hold the battery down and you have to be able to get the battery under the tab on the other side. Do you cut the mat around the middle points that hold the battery? Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: A little surface rust in battery tray.