Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Euro Fog/Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002 | 03:57 PM
ColoradoBill
Advanced

Post Installing Euro Fog/Driving Lights

I have a set of the Euro F/D lights that I'm getting ready to install. I also bought a second fog light switch, and plan on installing that in the unused spot next to the original to control driving lights.

Anyone ever tried this or have an tips? Haven't looked at the original set-up yet, so have no idea how this will work, what I'll need, etc.

Any info re this would upgrade be much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2002 | 04:55 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

You are going to need a relay installed up front as there is no wiring for the driving light. You probably want to put in some pretty heavy gauge wire, like #10 gauge and a #10 ground so you have the ability to run 100 watt H3s in the driving side. That is pretty impressive.

You also need to decide how exactly you want the driving light to function. The most versatile arrangement is to be able to turn the lights on/off as long as at least the parking lights are on and alternatively have them exactly follow the high beams so you only have one lever to flip both highs and driving on and off.

FYI, in many jurisdictions it is illegal to be able to turn on driving lights if main/high beam is not on. You won't ever get called on it though unless you really **** off some knowledgeable cop or state inspector. But if you **** someone off, they can just nail you for illegal lighting since Bosch and Porsche never got DOT certification for the driving lens. That is why the OEM driving lens side is blocked off in North American cars and Porsche NA will not sell the functional lens with both sides that work.
Old 08-16-2002 | 05:18 PM
Danno
Race Director

Simple way to wire up those extra driving lights is to control them with a relay. There was a hole in the body in the pocket right behind the driver's headlight arm that I screwed in a Bosch 30-amp relay. Then I ran a power line directly to the alternator output to the relay. The relay is then activated by the running a small control line up to the back of the headlight socket to the high-beam line. The relay's output then runs to the driving lights. I ran a 6" wire next door and used the grounds of the fog-lights.

So the behavior of the driving-lights mimic the high-beams. They go on with the high-beams when the lights are on. When the lights are off, pulling back on the stalk actually flashes both the fogs and driving-lights when the headlights are down. I guess this means that the high-beams are flashing in the retracted position.
Old 08-16-2002 | 06:48 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

There are a bizillion ways to hook these up... with a relay, without a relay, separate switch, no separate switch, etc.

What I'm going to attempt to do is wire them exactly like they come from the factory in ROW (rest of world) cars. I got a set of the ROW light harnesses so I can hook up the fogs, driving lights and little parking lights easily.

In Europe the driving lights are powered from the fog light relay, which is a double throw type. When you flip the lever to high beams, the power that was previously applied to the fog lights gets switched to the driving lights. Right now this power goes nowhere when you activate the high beams.

In order to make this work it looks like I'll have to run a wire from the fog light relay in the fuse box down to the driving lights since I don't believe that wire is in the US model cars... but I'm hoping it is since the fuse box is wired for it

The fuse box also contains what is called a "bridge adapter" in the G6 position. There are various versions available depending on what country you are in, whether you have rear fog lights, etc. The adapter controls how the lights flash when you pull the high beam lever. In the US if the fogs are off, they flash... if they are on, only the high beams flash. The Euro bridge adapter changes this so pulling the high beam lever always flashes the driving lights instead of the fogs. So, something will always flash no matter what the position of the fog light switch. I have this adapter. It's a $5 or $10 part.

Another prospect is to use the bridge adapter for the 968, which comes standard with driving lights. In the 968 the fog light switch controls the action of the fog lights and the driving lights. Turning on the switch with the low beams on activates the fog lights. If the high beams are now turned on the fogs go off and the driving lights go on. With the high beams on and the switch off, both the fogs and driving lights are off. Confused yet

Once I get this all installed I'll document on my web page. Hopefully, it will be an easy installation.
Old 08-19-2002 | 07:04 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey guys,
i've recently done the conversion to euro fog/driving lights.

mine now work like this:

with NO lights on - pull the stalk and both the driving and fogs flash.

fogs operational by use of factory switch independent of any other lights
driving lights operational by use of second factory switch in 'blank' to left of factory fog switch in dash - independent of any other lights.
both light sets are on a 'keyed' circuit - only operational when ignition key is on.

fogs on/driving off - pull stalk - driving flash
driving on/fogs off - pull stalk - fogs flash

low beams on, driving and fogs off - pull stalk - headlight highbeams, fogs, driving all flash.....you get the idea. very flexible.

email me direct if i can help - or i'll try to dig up the write up i did for someone else on the list and post for all - maybe thats best...
Old 08-20-2002 | 01:55 AM
Stefan
Racer

I have the euro driving assemblies waiting in my garage to be installed as well. I've put the job off while trying to decide the best way to do the wiring.

It would be nice if you could post your details, washington.

Right now I'm leaning to doing it the Euro stock way as Tom suggested. I'd appreciate any feedback when you get that set up Tom. I'm curious to know if the wire is already run.

Performance products simply said to tap the wire directly onto the High Beam wires at the lights. Simple, but not much independant control.

On a side note, anyone put these Euro lights in and NOT like them for some reason?

Quick Reply: Installing Euro Fog/Driving Lights