Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yellow 84 with 85 motor craigslist *cheep*

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:12 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

That car needs to be crushed.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

20 bucks for parts...
Old 02-20-2010, 11:05 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I never thought this car would make it up here on RL, so here is my contribution...

I am in the insurance business. I have a lot of cars, and my dad and uncle do also, so we get calls on stuff all the time. I had my '89 n/a for a few years when my uncle said that one of our clients' or a clients' relative's kid had a 944 they were trying to sell. IIRC, the story was the son in high school bought the car, was driving it, the gf got pregnant or something and they were just trying to get some money or something. I never inquired as to how true that was (could have just been said to get interest in the car, but it came from one of our long time clients I believe), and if you've read the numerous posts on CL over the years, the story/details with the car always change. On top of that, he never takes down the previous posts before posting the "updated post".

I can't tell you how many years ago I went to look at this car once and never went back. From what I remember, I am most likely the first person to ever go look at this car when it was put up for sale because when I got wind of it, it was way before it ever showed up on CL.

It is a non-sunroof car. Walking up the driveway, I was thinking let's see how bad it is and if it's at least 30% worth it, offer short money and strip it out to build an Auto-X car because I figured early n/a parts are cheaper than stuff for my 89. That quickly went out the window.

Had the damage when I looked at it. Hatch had no shocks or blown shocks can't remember, and myself and the kid's father could barely lift the hatch because of the huge ricer wing it has on it. Felt like trying to lift two hatches unsupported. Same story with the hanging wires, the yellow paint does not really look great with the early brown interior, but I remember kind of liking the color because it was nice to see a yellow 944, especially with the solid roof.

The father asked if I wanted to hear it run, he wasn't sure if the battery had enough to start. Going on the fact that they needed to sell the car and I knew I wasn't going to buy, I said no thanks, I didn't need to know how it ran. After that, told him I appreciated the call on the car and had to think about it, I would be in touch with an offer if I decided to pursue it. I kept it very civil while I was there, didn't ask too many questions, I just let the father talk. As I expected to gut the car before quickly deciding not to, I wasn't going to believe any statement about what had been modified/repaired, done to, or spent on the car, etc.

I may have been the nicest person who ever went to look at the car and I think the father appreciated that I knew what I was looking for, knew what I wanted to do with the car if I bought it and didn't say any of that. I just setup the time to come down, showed up on time, gave it a 5 minute look over and said thank you with a smile. Probably the weirdest 5 minutes I have ever spent looking at any car.

Right after I left, I called my uncle and then called Devon (Yabo here on RL) and told them about it. I think at the time they wanted a high number (800-1000) and something was relayed to me from my uncle about me either being able to buy it for 400 or to make an offer for 400 out of courtesy if I was interested.

I basically told my uncle and Dev that I felt it would cost more to tow it from Bristol to my house in Providence, even if I used Devon's trailer for free, and it wasn't really that far of a drive.

To be honest, I am not surprised that the car has still not sold after all this time. Hell, I would have passed even if they told me they'd give it to me for free and pay for the tow.

I really don't think it matters that the car runs or not. The kid sell the wheels and should just crush it for cash or just crush it altogether.

Just my experience for anyone thinking of making a long drive...

Quick Reply: yellow 84 with 85 motor craigslist *cheep*