Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paragon no longer shipping by US Post?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

That does really suck for us international customers. Paragon was my favorite place for parts too, but it really is cost prohibitive to ship from them now. I appreciate what you are saying F18Rep, but how can we not walk away from them with prices like they are?

Here's the breakdown for a jack plate, a pretty light simple piece. Keep in mind we will pay brokerage and duty with UPS at the time of pick-up on top of this.

Subtotal:
$28.00
Shipping & Handling:
$73.63
Tax:
$0.00

Total:
$101.63
Old 02-02-2010, 03:50 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

And its the hidden brokerage and duty that UPS charges at the border that is really expensive. With US post I'm never charged more than GST (a few per cent of legitimate tax).
Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At every border crossing there are cross border mailbox places. I use Mailboxes International in Blaine, WA. Most will do package middleman type services, where you ship to them and then they ship to you via your choice of carrier for cross border. This would include package consolidation (a bunch of packages into one big box to you).

I have been using Mailboxes International Inc in Blaine WA for several years now. I dont use their reshipping service since I live 20 minutes from them (distance wise, drive time is sometimes two hours if you count the ***** at US customs....) but I would think theyve saved me well over $1000USD over the years on cheaper shipping costs and no customs fees.

Canada Customs lets me through all the time without paying fees and taxes. Even when I declare the $500 in stuff I have
Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just placed an order with Paragon and they shipped it USPS so you may want to recheck that? I just got the tracking # a few min ago and it is for sure a USPS tracking #
Old 02-05-2010, 06:22 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Just checked again, the only option for shipping to Canada is UPS or DHL.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Paragon a call cause what they just sent me was USPS. Maybe they dont have the option on their site but they are still shipping through USPS. Also I would have to think that if you told them you would only order if it were sent USPS they would take care of it.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:46 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrenan
Just checked again, the only option for shipping to Canada is UPS or DHL.
I just checked, and USPS has disappeared as an option for shipping to Australia as well. Maybe the new policy is courier only to intl destinations, USPS remains an option for domestic only?

Pity, almost certainly will make it uneconomic to buy most things for intl customers. Jason is a great guy -- very knowledgable, and great service. All you US rennlisters will just have to buy more from him to make up for the downturn in intl orders!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
That does really suck for us international customers. Paragon was my favorite place for parts too, but it really is cost prohibitive to ship from them now. I appreciate what you are saying F18Rep, but how can we not walk away from them with prices like they are?

Here's the breakdown for a jack plate, a pretty light simple piece. Keep in mind we will pay brokerage and duty with UPS at the time of pick-up on top of this.

Subtotal:
$28.00
Shipping & Handling:
$73.63
Tax:
$0.00

Total:
$101.63
Had the exact same scenario with a speedometer gear I needed and the posted it USPS when I emailed them about it.

Originally Posted by xupkid2
I just placed an order with Paragon and they shipped it USPS so you may want to recheck that? I just got the tracking # a few min ago and it is for sure a USPS tracking #
Agree. I think you just need to get in touch with them by email if you want the shipping to be USPS.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Thanks Luis. Useful to know there is possibly some flexibility with the new arrangements.

It would be interesting to know what prompted the change, though. I'm sure Jason would have good reasons.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

The United States Post Office has been going through some major changes of late. With all of the national and international competition and the advent of email as a vehicle to move messages it has been really tough on the Post Office. There are continued discussions of dropping Saturday delivery and making other changes to try and remain a viable choice. I shipped a package nationally with USPS and it was actually 15% higher than UPS would have charged.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Just a heads-up that Paragon is shipping USPS again for Int'l shipping!

I just ordered a clutch accessories kit from them.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 PM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is kinda old but i had to add something.

You can clear your own packages through customs instead of paying brokerage fees.
I've done it a couple times.

Go to UPS tell them you want to clear it yourself, they'll give you a form.
Go to Canada customs and submit the form and pay your duties.
Go back to UPS and get your package.

Good luck

Phil
Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

UPS world wide expedited was the only option for the brake adapters I was thinking of ordering last night. Shipping came out to $96 for 2 little blocks of aluminum.

Hopefully paragon can help us out here, because I can't bring myself to order anything from them with the ridiculous shipping costs. ECS tuning has an option called Cana-ease which includes all the brokerage, taxes, etc. and is cheaper than paying the hit at the door. Maybe Paragon could do something like this for us too?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
UPS world wide expedited was the only option for the brake adapters I was thinking of ordering last night. Shipping came out to $96 for 2 little blocks of aluminum.

Hopefully paragon can help us out here, because I can't bring myself to order anything from them with the ridiculous shipping costs. ECS tuning has an option called Cana-ease which includes all the brokerage, taxes, etc. and is cheaper than paying the hit at the door. Maybe Paragon could do something like this for us too?
Call up paragon and see what they can do for you.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotten news. Paragon has been my primary parts supplier too. Spend more money there than I want to recall.

Quick Reply: Paragon no longer shipping by US Post?