Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

39,000... well worn bolster and tires...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010 | 04:04 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yeah, I know the cloth is soft. I had one. My point is what's more probable -- ANOTHER "low mile 944 Turbo" on eBay, with some well worn tires and bolster, or a 944 Turbo with 75K+ miles and some creative maintenance.

Watching eBay, there are FAR far too many "low mile Turbos" out there for all to be legit.
Old 01-25-2010 | 04:08 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt O.
. The way I look at it, is if someone is truly going to maintain a 24 year old Porsche at such low miles, they are going to baby it. Seats would be covered, or at least the bolsters would be.

Totally disagree with this. Some people just don't drive that much and are not total car freaks. The car is pretty clean. But without the back story there is no room to judge.

The longest owner may have travled for business, lived 1/2 mile from the office, only drove it on weekends, etc.

They could have drivin it a ton the first year then had a life changing event and never really got to go back and drive it, who knows?

Unless those tires are its first or MAYBE second set. Those tires look well worn. The shift **** looks well worn. Steering wheel looks OK.

Again, totally disagree. I have had nice tires on sports cars last less than 15K. Car has nearly 3 times those miles so who knows how old the tires are.

If the car was a city driven car it could have super low miles, but super high hours. Tons of stop and go traffic, lots of shifting, lots of starts and stops are hard on tires, shift levers etc.

"MILES" don't mean much at all.

A legit 39,000 mile 951 should be a cream puff ..

As incredibly easy as it is to roll back a 944 odometer, I the responses here seem incredibly trusting.

Hardly.

My 2008 Jeep is not a "cream puff" anymore with 33K on the clock. It's only 1.5 years old.

Consider this. If you drove 1 mile to and from the office every day you would only put on about 500 miles a year!!!! (50 week work year*5 days a week * 2 miles). So for a 22 year old car that is only 11,000 miles of driving!!!!

Toss in some grocery store runs in the same area, a few weekend trips and you could easily get a car that is totally legit with only 40K on it.

Is it rare for someone to drive like this in our day and age? Yes. Is it possible, sure.
Old 01-25-2010 | 04:18 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

OK....

Really, I get the difference between highway miles and living a mile away from work.

Comparing a daily driver Jeep to a Porsche is sort of the apples to oranges thing.

Also, you missed my point. I said it SHOULD be a cream puff, if it is expecting 39k mile dollars. In that if a person is going to be so deliberate as to drive their car an average of 150 miles a month for 22 years, I think its safe to say you should expect the car NOT to have a hole drilled in the fender.

My original point was to illustrate the incredibly high number of 944s and 944 Turbos on eBay that are "low miles". Do you really believe they are all legit? Do you really believe you can tell that they are legit by looking at a few pictures on eBay? I would definitely question this car from my experience based on the pictures. In person, maybe a different story, maybe not.

Every week on eBay there's another low mile 944 that looks like its definitely seen better days. Not sure if you were saying "hardly" to my rolling back the odometer comment, but if you were, you are wrong. A 944 odometer is incredibly easy to change. The legit 40k mile 944s and 911s I have seen and driven, while not necessarily museum quality, were obviously low mileage examples.
Old 01-25-2010 | 04:27 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

More likely the car was a 3rd or even 4th car, used on weekends during nice weather, garage art the rest of the time.
Old 01-25-2010 | 04:28 PM
Cole
Drifting

My "hardly" response was in response to us just being "incredibly trusting".

I think the real issue here is that too many people put too much value on "miles". Which is indicated by the selling price.

Reguardless of how easy it may be to roll it back. ANY 22 year old car is going to need work. Even if it only had 1 mile on it. Seals rot, parts age etc.

I just don't see anything on this car that really shows it NOT being legit.
Old 01-25-2010 | 04:35 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Cole, Fair enough. I don't, nor am I advocating, putting "everything" in miles when looking for a 944. I have been around and owned 944s since I was 17 (wow I feel old). I get this. But if you are looking for a LOW miles 944, then yes, miles play a huge roll, because that is what you are looking for. And as I am looking for a low mile 951, if the person wants me to believe it has 39,000 miles, it better not appear to have 75k. I do however, think it is incredibly trusting given the complete simplicity of the 944 odometer.
Old 01-25-2010 | 04:42 PM
P. Ortiz
Advanced

It looks disproportionately worn for the rest of the car. However, that's an area that takes repeated concentrated abuse if one isn't careful. Studs on the pockets of jeans, patch pockets, buttons, stuff in the pockets, etc. aggravate it further. Too bad. It can be avoided by placing the palm of your left hand on the bolster to act as a buffer between the seat and your bottom-side as you slide in. That's what I do with the sport seats in my 951. I did this from day one when I bought a new BMW with sport seats and when I sold it, the area looked like new.
Old 01-25-2010 | 04:47 PM
MM951
Race Director

OT: Good to see you in the 944 boards Matt, time for a 951 I hope
Old 01-25-2010 | 04:59 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by P. Ortiz
It looks disproportionately worn for the rest of the car. However, that's an area that takes repeated concentrated abuse if one isn't careful. Studs on the pockets of jeans, patch pockets, buttons, stuff in the pockets, etc. aggravate it further. Too bad. It can be avoided by placing the palm of your left hand on the bolster to act as a buffer between the seat and your bottom-side as you slide in. That's what I do with the sport seats in my 951. I did this from day one when I bought a new BMW with sport seats and when I sold it, the area looked like new.
Ditto. My point exactly.

MM951, I am ALWAYS shopping for the right 951. The 944 board is my original home.
Old 01-25-2010 | 06:41 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

A 944 odometer can be rolled back in 30 mins, with no sign of tampering.

To each his own.
Buying (most of) these cars based on mileage at this point is a joke. They're all old- go by maintenance.

Then again, I drive my cars.
Old 01-25-2010 | 07:51 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Check out the eBay "AutoCheck" report. It says the odo reading in 1994 was 165? I can believe 39k in 22 yrs, but 165 miles in 6 yrs is a bit hard to swallow. Apparently it is in an area where there are no annual inspections where mileage is recorded so that is the only data available. One owner AND low mileage....
Old 01-25-2010 | 08:02 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Check out the eBay "AutoCheck" report. It says the odo reading in 1994 was 165? I can believe 39k in 22 yrs, but 165 miles in 6 yrs is a bit hard to swallow. Apparently it is in an area where there are no annual inspections where mileage is recorded so that is the only data available. One owner AND low mileage....
Who knows what happened.

I could come up with 10 scenarios where this could happen.

Couple of expamples:

Could have been bought as a collector car, then the collector died 6 years later and it was sold off.

Bought by a soldier that shipped over seas and died before coming home to use the car.

There certainly are probable ways for this to happen.

Then of course there is simply the DMV mistake when recording the title.
Old 01-25-2010 | 08:05 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Seems like a very specific example. Do you know the car?

Quick Reply: 39,000... well worn bolster and tires...