Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure too High?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 03:57 PM
Jon Betts
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil pressure too High?

1987 944 NA.
Oil pressure is so high that it blows out the sealing ring on the oil filter? checked and cleaned the pressure relief valve and it's still the same. Changed to a K&N filter with a biggersealing lip and manged to get it started when it warmed up everything seemed normal 2-2.5 at idle and +5 when driving. The engine has just been rebuilt. Any ideas what could cause this?
Thanks Jon
Old 08-28-2002, 05:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This is not exaclty your problem but...
I did the oil cooler seals on my 87 n/a motor. Everthing went fine except I had NO oil pressure on engine start. Had plenty of oil, just no pressure on the gauge. I noticed that oil filter had "expanded". It looked like it was over pressured. Put on a new filter and it did the same thing.

I turned out that I made a mistake in putting the sealing rings in to the oil pressure relief valve and the extra sleeve need to update the block.

There are 3 types of valve for 87 NA's
1) Original (loose springs)
2) Factory Updated (One piece, slight block change)
3) Original block with updated parts (One piece, but not same as #2)

I had #3 in the car, but bought the seals for #2. It did not work! These seals look nealy identical and it very hard to tell #3 from #2 except for the extra sleeve.

I am not sure that this your problem, but I do know the oil pressure relief valve can cause weird things to happen in the filter.

I assume that you have tighetend the filter down to the proper level!

I hope this is of help!

PS no damage was done other than a couple oil filters.. Everything has been fine with stuff installed correctly.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure too High?