Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Canadian Wheelman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost controller?

I am thinking about replacing the wastgate and adding an electric boost controller to my 951... the Apexi controller claims that it can help with turbo lag and spool up at lower revs - does anyone have experience with this, and is it true?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM
WellsR
AutoX

A stock 944 turbo comes with the same sort of device for boost control, its just not easily adjustable. Its a solenoid valve under the intake that will cycle at certain boost pressures to help delay boost lag and control boost pressure. So whether or not it will help with turbo lag, I would say no unless there is a problem with your solenoid valve. A wastegate on the other hand is more likely to help with spooling. Wastegates get cracked valve seats and leaks past the turbo, causing more lag. What type of WG are you looking at?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Canadian Wheelman
Track Day

I saw the lindsey dual port wastegate, and like that it has the right flange, but haven't really done a lot of research yet. Another note, I am running quite a bit more boost than stock, and am thinking about a controller just so I can tone it down a bit when not at the track.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Having used both the Apexi and Greddy, I'd go for the Apexi....but personally I now much prefer the Manual Boost controller. Unless you are really patient and good with electronic devices, I'd just use the MBC. The electronic ones were always fiddly and you seemed to have to keep adjusting them. The MBC just goes 'bang' straight to the Boost level that you set, each and every time. It's set and forget as far as I'm concerned. Get a decent wastegate though. I've had no troubles with my LR one. Many people like the Tial version as well.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsR
A stock 944 turbo comes with the same sort of device for boost control, its just not easily adjustable. Its a solenoid valve under the intake that will cycle at certain boost pressures to help delay boost lag and control boost pressure. So whether or not it will help with turbo lag, I would say no unless there is a problem with your solenoid valve. A wastegate on the other hand is more likely to help with spooling. Wastegates get cracked valve seats and leaks past the turbo, causing more lag. What type of WG are you looking at?
When upgrading the wastegate you generally bypass the factory Cycling Valve and use another method of controlling the wastegate (I.E. MBC as stated above).

You can use an aftermarket wastegate with a factory CV, but it must be run in single port mode and will not perform as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 AM
WellsR
AutoX

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
When upgrading the wastegate you generally bypass the factory Cycling Valve and use another method of controlling the wastegate (I.E. MBC as stated above).

You can use an aftermarket wastegate with a factory CV, but it must be run in single port mode and will not perform as well.
I havnt gotten around to adding a MBC yet as I havnt upgraded my headgasket or studs. Dont want any more headaches yet.

Lindsey Racing dual port should be a bolt on, and most aftermarkets will need flanges welded on which are usually supplied(correct me if I'm wrong). I went with a Synapse WG which is a different design than a standard diaphram WG.

My friend has a Gizzmo electronic boost controller that we are just starting to experiment with. His wastegate spring happens to be too big right now to actually use it, but I have played around with it and it seems cool (took about 30 min to figure the thing out). Has 5 different boost level memories and a boost scrammble mode where you can press a button and get more boost for a certain amount of time.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsR
I havnt gotten around to adding a MBC yet as I havnt upgraded my headgasket or studs. Dont want any more headaches yet.

Lindsey Racing dual port should be a bolt on, and most aftermarkets will need flanges welded on which are usually supplied(correct me if I'm wrong). I went with a Synapse WG which is a different design than a standard diaphram WG.

My friend has a Gizzmo electronic boost controller that we are just starting to experiment with. His wastegate spring happens to be too big right now to actually use it, but I have played around with it and it seems cool (took about 30 min to figure the thing out). Has 5 different boost level memories and a boost scrammble mode where you can press a button and get more boost for a certain amount of time.
Headgasket/head studs don't need to be upgraded if only using an MBC and aftermarket wastegate unless you intend to run a lot more boost. I'm running 16PSI on a 100% stock engine with zero issues.

The Lindsey dual port is bolt on, but it is just that, a dual port wastegate. The factory system is not designed to actuate a dual port wastegate. You will either have to use an MBC, or run it in single port mode (I don't know if the Lindsey can be).

Most aftermarket wastegates doe not come with adapter plates. They much be purchased separately.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:24 PM
WellsR
AutoX

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Headgasket/head studs don't need to be upgraded if only using an MBC and aftermarket wastegate unless you intend to run a lot more boost. I'm running 16PSI on a 100% stock engine with zero issues.

I have just heard from racers about how the stock headgasket blows all the time with higher boost. Do you hold 16 psi all the way to redline? Mine would drop off at higher RPM. Do you road race with 16psi? If your constantly running 16psi at redline, it is highly recommended to replace studs and gasket.

Quick Reply: boost controller?