Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compressor chewed up a belt (I think...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 02:30 PM
Bill Elwell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Compressor chewed up a belt (I think...)

The following series of events happened in less than a half a day. By the way, we are talking about an '89 944S2.

- When I started the car in the morning it made a new noise at idle. Seemed proportional to RPM. Noise was not enough to alarm me.

- On my drive to work, it sounded like I might be dragging the left rear brake. Tough to tell with all the road noise.

- Got off the highway, engine noise got louder, there was a pop under the hood, and then the engine noise went away.

- At this point the antilock break light and the low voltage light on came on.

- Looking under the hood, the belt around the alternator and the compressor was broken. The alternator spins freely by hand but the compressor pulley would spin a little then bind up.

My guess is that the compressor broke the belt. Replacing and or rebuilding the compressor and replacing the belt should fix most of the problems except... Why is the antilock brake light on?

Guys, is there anything I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 08-27-2002, 03:04 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That compressor has a magnetic clutch which is supposed to free wheel until engaged. If you didn't have air con on hopefully it is just the clutch that needs to be fixed/replaced.

I have never heard of this particular ABS error but I bet it is related to the big & sharp voltage drop that occured when your alternator dropped off line. When you get things fixed I suspect that will be back to normal.

Don't drive too long with much of any electrical load or you will drain the battery dead.

Quick Reply: Compressor chewed up a belt (I think...)