Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling and Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 11:53 AM
Toronto86 944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rattling and Squeaking

86 944 n/a
Two problems:

1) When my car is idle and I have my foot on the clutch, everything sounds fine. When I take my foot off the clutch I can hear a steady rattling noise coming from the back driver's side of the car.

2) A few years ago, I had my alternator re-bulit. A friend of mine installed it. Ever since then , when I start my car cold, it makes a loud squeaking noise. I assumed it was the alternator belt and have had two mechanics look at it and said they fixed it but it still squeaks. I even did an engine re-build a few months ago. And It is still happening.

Any suggestions on where these two problems may stem from?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2002, 11:57 AM
FXMaster
Instructor

Yeah, read my post. I'm so sure those mechanics really fixed it (sarcasm so thick I choking) I know the rattling your talking about. It's a major part of my post and my problem.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:04 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shaking can of marbles noise from the transaxel while in neutral with clutch released is normal ... don't worry about it unless it gets really loud.

The squeal from what seems like alternator or the belt could be several things. We just had a thread on this a couple days ago - go find it. But first make sure the belt is in good shape and not glazed and has all 6 inner ribs and someone didn't stick in a fewer ribbed belt. There is also belt dressing you can apply that makes it grab the pullies better.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:59 AM
Stefan
Racer

IceShark ... when is really loud really loud ?

I have the rattle/squeak too and it makes me nervous ...

What's the first thing you'd notice when components begin to actually fail? My mechanic said it's a big job to get in there and change the bushing that's making the noise.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:46 AM
Toronto86 944
Advanced

Ice Shark,

The sound drives me crazy. It happens when I turn the car on after it's been sitting a while. When you say bushing, are talking about the bushing on the alternator?

What bugs me even more is these mechanics. I had the head technician at a biggest porsche dealership in Toronto look at it. He said he fixed , then it came back..! FUUUCK!! I don't know how these guys can't fixed a simple squeak.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:41 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stefan mentioned a bushing being a problem and I assume he is talking about the rattle noise. How loud is not too loud? Guess that is a little hard to describe - not very loud but there is no missing it if the radio is down/off and you let out the clutch in neutral. My 951S only has about 38,000 miles on it and I have been hearing the noise at about the same level as long as I can remember. And with various gear oils, however, I think it was louder when I was using Mobil 1 gear oil.

As far as the alternator and other ideas than the "standard" problems, you say a tech was able to make it go away for awhile but then it came back. I wonder if your pulleys are all in alignment? If you had the alternator rebuilt I suppose the pulley could have been put on in some fashion that moved it out of the plane.

Quick Reply: Rattling and Squeaking