Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: F1 vs Champ cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 02:44 PM
FormulaOne10
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, Manning I think you are right about IRL. I don't think they use turbos (but they may, I'm just not that big of an IRL watcher to know for sure - only watched a couple races this year). However, I believe IRL has only two engine choices (chevy and infiniti I think, correct me if I am wrong). I believe the chassis options are also quite limited in IRL. Watch an IRL race sometime and see how many lead changes there are and see how close the race is. Now, that certainly is entertaining racing to watch - there is always some action to be seen. However, there is something to be said for an outright advantage through design and preparation. The rules today are just too strict in terms of competition. Some people will disgree and that's fine - my position is entirely opinionated. However, from a safety standpoint the restrictions make perfect sense. Cars are getting really damn fast - even if car safety is vastly improved.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:13 PM
rsrdan
Racer

IRL use 4.0L v8's either old's or infinity.NON turbo.I dont follow IRL, F1 RULES!! Icant wait till porsche gets back in the game.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here are my favorite forms of Motorsports

F1 - For the shear technology & speed. Like it or not 20 -30 years from now we will all talk about being able to watch the Great M Schumacher in his prime like people talk about Fangio, Graham Hill, Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Ayton Senna, and so many more!

World Rally - These guys are Nuts! These are probably some of the best natural talents around driving in the most intesting places.

Isle of Man - These guys make WRC drives look like grand ma in the slow lane. I am surprised they can get on a bike with the size of their b@ll$

LeMans, Sebring, Daytona - The classics & story of Porsche whether in protoypes or just GT3
BTW Heard guys like Konrad are buying GT2s for racing in GTS!

Speedvision Touring Car & GT - This close to home. With more training and lots of $$$$$ I could do this!

Porsche Owner Club Endro - Tribute to LeMans -This IS close to home!... Big Time Club Racing!

AMLS - Audi dominance and varity of cars

Grand Am - Similar to AMLS, but limited technology in protypes

SCCA Rally - Fun, but not as fun as the real thing

I could go on, but i will stop.

Like mama said "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all."
NASCAR = No Comment
Old 08-29-2002, 06:38 PM
P944forScott
Racer

Cool

Regarding engine "choices" is it a matter of how many manufactures wish to shell out the dough to build an engine to the Specifications of what ever league of racing? That is to say if twenty engine builders put out a F1 or Cart spec engine they would have that many choices?

Hmmm a Brigs & Straton F1 team....

Quick Reply: OT: F1 vs Champ cars