Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An introduction...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM
BKCowGod
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An introduction...

Hi y'all... I'm already on Pelican, but figured I should join Rennlist as well. Got my 951 in March of last year and have been VERY slowly building it up after it sat for four years. So far it has gotten all new rubber under the hood, everything new in the "sparking" side of the world, and a half-*** cleaning of the fuel injectors. This was enough to sneak it by the CA smog test and get it registered, so now comes the real restoration. The PO spent some money at PowerHaus and it has a K800R turbo, Autothority MAF and chip, and a hot-air intake. The story is that he ordered a K27 and PowerHaus accidentally sent him the K800R. I have yet to confirm this. Not sure if I'm gonna DD it or track it yet, but it should be fun either way. This is my first Porsche, but I have had a number of BMW's ('70 Ireland Engineering 2002, '80 320iS, '87 Racing Dynamics 535iS, '92 Dinan 735iL, '96 Z3, and my wife drives an E36 M3), and I've dabbled in the world of Audi and Alfa so I'm no stranger to the greasy side of a hood. I hope I can eventually contribute more than just questions, but I suspect that the beginning of my relationship with Rennlist will have a lot more take than give.

Anyway, just wanted to say a quick hello to all and thank you - you've already helped me quite a bit through the archives.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome! The car looks great, well done.

This is a terrific forum, sounds like you already know to search first but don't be afraid to ask questions either, just figuring out the right words to search for is half the battle sometimes.

Again, welcome.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

That's a great example! Awesome! You'll enjoy it here.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

You are very welcome great site here, lot's of nice people ready to help,very nice 951 specialy with the fuchs on her don't see many of them.what year?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by ernie9468
You are very welcome great site here, lot's of nice people ready to help,very nice 951 specialy with the fuchs on her don't see many of them.what year?
Judging by the Fuchs, I would say 1986.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 PM
BKCowGod
Track Day

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys... There's definitely a bit of a learning curve, but I am really starting to enjoy working on it (I nearly sold the car just from the frustration of trying to remove the intake manifold the first time).

Oh, and it is an '86 with 150k on it.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

NICE!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 PM
BKCowGod
Track Day

List for my memory's sake, but any suggestions and BTDT's are welcome! I am a devotee of Clark's Garage.

Here's a short list of issues:
1) Cylinder 4 fires intermittently. Especially when it's first been started, it takes a while for it to come on and then most of the time (especially after a hard run) it dies again. I suspect it is a clogged injector, because I just dunked them in carb cleaner overnight and put new gaskets and hats (which did help, but it's still not perfect). I'm gonna move the injector from 4 to 1 to see if the problem moves. Hoping against hope that it's not a blown HG.

2) Cooling system hates me. I drained it but I still have an intermittent heater and it bounces around (though it gets no higher than the second white mark). Revving the engine causes it to plummet to below the first white mark. I usually carry a small socket wrench and pop the vent every time I stop but a question - do I do this with the engine off or running? I have been doing it after shutoff and there is always a hiss of air, then sputters, but it seems to never really hit that "stream" point.

Other than those (which both COULD point to a HG failure, I know): it needs new seals in the AOS, new front shocks, an alignment and tires, and many hours of polishing. Also could use some work on the driver's seat upholstery and a new windshield washer tank. Otherwise, it is surprisingly solid and happy.

And some more eye candy

Quick Reply: An introduction...