Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power locks..I'm confused

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 02:32 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Console switch should lock both doors while you are sitting/driving with your car.I suppose this function is mainly for US markets?? At least it rare in europe to lock your doors while you are inside your car.
You should be able to lock your doors from both doors using the key.If not, then this little microswitch might be broken.Do you hear any sounds from the doors when you press that console switch.It should give power to door locks even if that small plastic part is broken.Necesarily you do not need to buy any parts.If you get power to the electric locks check out that locks are adjusted correctly.Because of all vibrationes the electric locks can get loose and out of adjustment.
I have converted 7 944's into 968 handles this summer and 3 of them has out of adjustment electric locks.One of them has broken passanger side microswitch, none of them didn't have this small plastic part broken.

Olli
'88 951 with 968 handles & working power locks.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:49 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
I recently went through the same thing on mt drivers side door. It's probably the least expensive part to replace after the airbox clip. The arms have a little clip that is supposed close the socket that attaches to the lock mechanism. Mine clip had broken off. Give yourself an hour or so and you can clean and lube your window scissors while in there.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:01 PM
TF
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have their door lunock by itself after they lock it? What causes that? Sometimes it takes me three tries to lock it.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:20 PM
kennyandersen
Instructor

TF,
Yeah mine did/does that too. If you hold the key toward the lock position and wait about 1 second or so this will elliminate that (although I shear about once everyother week it unlocks itself). usually once the lock is down and locked it doesn't come back up.

If I lock the passenger side it locks both sides, if I lock the drivers side it only locks the drivers side. I'll check the little plastic parts and switches when I get the car apart over Christmastime -- good info!
Old 09-12-2002, 02:53 PM
icat
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by TF:
<strong>Does anyone have their door lunock by itself after they lock it? What causes that? Sometimes it takes me three tries to lock it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is caused by the locking solenoid being off center. The black plastic "device" with the wire that attaches to the lock assembly must be correctly centered or the locks will "cycle" when you attempt to lock the door. There is a "pin" inside the locking solenoid that must "rest" in the gear "valley". Once you pull the solenoid free from the lock assembly you'll see what I mean. If the pin is offset, it causes the locks to pop up when you try to lock the car. The "pin" is fixed, so you have to adjust the gear in the lock assembly itself.

Here's a photo of the inside/backside of the solenoid showing the pin...

I have a complete procedure - with photos - for changing over to 968 door handles that I will be posting in a few days. Stay tuned! The new website is on line and I'll be uploading in a day or two.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

[quote] Here's a photo of the inside/backside of the solenoid showing the pin... <hr></blockquote>

That's not any solenoid, it's the microswitch (that's what Porsche calls it) i was talking about.

Olli
'88 951
Old 09-12-2002, 07:08 PM
icat
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by Olli Snellman:
<strong>That's not any solenoid, it's the microswitch (that's what Porsche calls it) i was talking about.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And that's why the procedure isn't on line yet! I've still got to go back and verify what Porsche calls the parts! This procedure writing stuff is tuff! Thanks for the claification Olli.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:17 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

This microswitch gives a signal to central locking "brains" to lock or unlock the door.You can check this out by moving that little black tab.If this microswitch is broken only that door will lock you have turned the key.

Olli
'88 951

Quick Reply: Power locks..I'm confused