Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perry's LEDs, Autometer guage lighting, etc. etc. - need some comparisons...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 11:33 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Perry's LEDs, Autometer guage lighting, etc. etc. - need some comparisons...

Hey guys - I installed my Autolite boost and oil temp guages yesterday in my Lo-Tek gauge pod pillar (2 year job start to finish, LOL) and my LED conversion at the same time.

I must've screwed up the direction of the bulb lead on 2 of the LED relflectors, because only one lights up at this point. I'll revisit this when I get a break in my schedule. Thus far, I like the clean light, but the blue-white is so foreign to the rest of the amber interior lighting that I'm having second thoughts. This could be compounded by the fact that the Autometer Autolite gauge lighting SUCKS. I have an amber HALO around the perimeter of the gauge face, right in my peripheral vision. Amber halo to cool white crisp gauges to amber dinge factory lighting is NOT a pretty combination.

I am trying to think through this conundrum to a better marriage of lighting hues and intensities BEFORE i go back in and tear stuff out. I really like the Autometer aluminum faces during the day, but the nighttime lighting is a problem. I thought perhaps if I reinstalled the poor amber factory gauge lighting and went with aluminum gauge faces, that everything would agree.

On the flip side, I also pondered installing some sort of LED into the Autometer gauges, changing the stock gauges to aluminum faces and continuing to run Perry's LED conversion there. I'd still have a visual break between the instrument lighting and the accesory lighting, but perhaps it would look intentional, and perhaps a cleaner light on the Autometer HALO would be less distracting if I could dim it properly.

I could also change the Autolite gauges for black-faced gauges (but I hate to spend another $110 on experimenting at this point) IF the lighting annoyance is improved with a black faced gauge. I could either go all LED or all amber bulbs with the instruments at that point.

And finally, I could ditch the pillar pod (after ALL the R&D making that thing happen), lose one gauge, and mount the aftermarket gauges in the inconvenient-to-read-while-driving-under-the-radio location.

What are your solutions? Can someone PLEASE post pics of their gauges at night, both Autometer and VDO, so I can SEE the lighting options before I go broke on this project???!!!

Anyone else have the Perry LED conversion AND gauges in the pillar pod and has figured out a way to make it work visually??

Please help!!!
Old 03-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Keith -

If the autometer uses the same 3watt bulbs as the stock gauges did, I may have a solution. I have tried to cast an LED into a connector that will plug into the Autometer and VDO gauges so you have the cool white halo to match the gauge pod.

I know exactly what you are saying, thus the reason evey bulb in my car is now an LED.

I'll see what I can do this week to make it work.

As for the others not lighting, flip the connectors, make sure they are clean and making contact. I tested and aligned your set before they left, and all was good. Let me know if you can't get them to work, or if you want to send them back. As I have said before, I'll gladly refund your money.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:53 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be interested in a LED for my Autometer boost gauge.

I notice the color difference, but does not bother me, to where I would want to change out the rest of the stock lights.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:18 PM
keith
Drifting

Do VDO gauges have the same HALO problem?

How would I vary the intensity of the LED on the Autometer/VDO gauges? I don't want to make the visual distraction any worse...

Brain - do you have any pics of your setup (are you running an gauge pod?)
Old 03-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

My VDO is in the radio pocket. No pics... I am working on the electrics now. It is going to be a bit before the system is ready for me to test. Lots of wires to replace yet.

The VDO does the same back lit style as Autometer, so I can test on mine out of the car. For dimming, I have a dimmer circut that Brian Broderick made for me that works great. I need to find a way to impliment it into the system to dim the lights, but not effect anything else in the daisy chain. The way the interior lights are wired makes no sense at all.

I'll let you know.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:08 AM
keith
Drifting

Ok Brian, I'd like to try LED'ing the Autometer gauges. I'd also like to try the dimmer circuit, but that could happen at a later date...

Let me know what I need to do to get the bulb casting/fabbing going.

...and thanks.

but, I'D STILL LIKE TO SEE PICS OF OTHER SETUPS, YOU GUYS!
Old 03-17-2003, 10:07 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

hey Perry how big of a pain was changing all the bulbs for leds? I know the ones inside switches and such are a really big pain but I'm more interested for the moment in the dome light. Is it as easy as adding a led + resistor?
Old 03-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith - You don't need to do anything. It takes about a week for my molds to set, so I should know something next Monday. I have a pretty good plan that I think will work, and it will only be about $5!

LED - The lights such as the dome and ash tray lights are easy. Just an LED, Resisitor, and some solder. I made a few sockets for my application, but it was a pain.

To switch everything over... from cargo light to hazard switch... a TON of work, and about $125 in LED's. I also wired some in to illuminate the front and rear footwells.

Quick Reply: Perry's LEDs, Autometer guage lighting, etc. etc. - need some comparisons...