Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe Backlash

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 09:43 PM
d richard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds like the same problem my early 85 had. I replaced the clutch and the problem was fixed. When I bought the car I asked the PO why the car had backlash and he said "it always had". When I removed the old clutch there was no rubber left. It's a good thing I got a good deal on the car. It took me about 2 months to change everything but that was weekends, nights and waiting for parts. It didn't help that where I live I wasn't supposed to work on a car.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:54 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

After my rubber center went and I got the lash I put a few thousand miles on it in the limp home... But without any warning it just went away, driving very easy at that time and all of a sudden coasting, and wondering who to call at 11:00 Sunday night.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:57 PM
Evan Kaplan
Advanced

I brought the cat in today to German Auto in Fort Lauderdale. He also noticed the shifter moved around a lot while in gear. I will be calling me tomorrow with the diagnosis. Would a loose bolt have anything to do with the backlash?

Thanks again you guys have been great,
Old 08-14-2002, 09:10 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

i'm curious about the response to this because my car has some of the same symptoms.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:52 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Evan Kaplan:
<strong>Would a loose bolt have anything to do with the backlash?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not that I can think of - not just one...

However, there are some things to check while you're in there, and have noticed some slop in the shifter:

- there's a plastic bushing at the base of the shift lever... common wear item, requires replacement. Causes slop in shifter.
- there's a pin-bolt holding the transfer rod to the rear shift linkage. It should be safety-wired in, but can work loose if not secured properly. Causes slop in shifter, and imprecise gear engagement.
- there's a linkage rod with rubber bushings at the top of the transaxle that is part of the gear select linkage - the rubber may deteriorate and cause imprecise gear engagement.

Good Luck!
Old 08-15-2002, 11:23 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

The one thing that was not mentioned about a rubber center going bad. You get a nasty vibration in the shifter handle at about 2800 to 3000 Rpms. HTH.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:55 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been noticing increased backlash...but my car has a spring centered clutch (or should). Clutch was replaced at 45k miles by the PO but didn't list what parts were used.

It used to only be really noticable in 1st and 2nd, a little bit in 3rd. Now its pretty noticable in all gears....probably just me being paranoid again.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:15 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Adrial - a couple things to check or be aware of:

- the CV joints can cause some backlash, especially if not greased properly.
- The ring and pinion can cause minor backlash.
- the detent point of the TPS on the throttle can sometimes give false signs of driveline backlash - shutting down the injectors prematurely on deceleration.

In my opinion, the 944 has never had that *tight* of a drivetrain. The shifting is a little sloppy, the noise is horrific in comparison to newer models - but, on par with that of the day, and the shutter and backlash seems to always be there, no matter how well cared for the car is.

Good Luck!
Old 08-15-2002, 07:15 PM
Evan Kaplan
Advanced

Here's the latest. The mechanic called me today and informed me it is the clutch. He was checking it out by trying to turn the clutch. the rubber broke off completely in his hand. The funny thing is that from the previous owners paper work the clutch, Pressure Plate and bearings were replaced at 89K. The car now has 126K. Is a clutch supposed to fail that fast? The car is being repaired as I speak. Only $1300 including labor. Not bad. I will inform everyone when I get the car back. The mechanic said by tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:21 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

How long ago (in time) was it changed? Sounds like you found a very fair price for the repairs... is he installing a rubber or spring hub clutch? What other stuff are you doing while "in there"? Hopefully, at least a rear main seal, and the normal clutch wear items.

Good Luck!
Old 08-15-2002, 07:48 PM
nib5
Instructor

[quote] In my opinion, the 944 has never had that *tight* of a drivetrain. The shifting is a little sloppy, the noise is horrific in comparison to newer models - but, on par with that of the day, and the shutter and backlash seems to always be there, no matter how well cared for the car is. <hr></blockquote>

This is gratifying to hear, there is a little slack in the drivetrain of my car, and of course I think "hmm, one more thing to deal with" The clutch centre breaking up is obviously an order of magnitude greater, and the sensation is unforgettable (not in a good way). However, it is a very good teaching aid for smooth driving.

Quick Reply: Severe Backlash