Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to sell roller

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 AM
RedRose
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to sell roller

Hey all, sorry I've been gone. Been real busy with life recently. My clutch (I think) burned out yesterday, and it's gotten to the point with this car that I just don't have the time or energy to keep up with it.

Basically, my options are to fix the clutch and sell it. How much would it go for?

Leave clutch as is, sell as roller, how much would it go for?

Fix clutch, wheel bearing that is bad, power steering which hasn't worked in a looong while, and sell. How much would it go for?

Has various dings and is very tired looking in general. Interior is decent, except carpet is still ruined. Mismatched interior color. Had started on switch from Chocolate over grey-beige to Black over grey-beige, never finished.

I'm in serious need of prices, ideas, and thoughts. Advice anyone?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2k max IMO
Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

This one is probably in worse shape but it is an example of how the prices are dropping

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1526949009.html
Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay W
This one is probably in worse shape but it is an example of how the prices are dropping

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1526949009.html
I was almost thinking of looking at that one for 944 spec racing.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
RedRose
Racer

Update:

Shop wants 2800 to fix entire clutch issue. Replace clutch, transaxle, and flywheel, for some reason.

Engine runs fantastically, all work done by European Motors Ltd (Euroltd.com). I cannot afford to fix and sell, just need it sold. It is as of now a roller with a bad clutch. Will update thread or answer questions about work done so far on it.

Had CV joints done in my ownership in last year. Clutch slave/master cylinders already replaced. Short shifter. Vacuum lines, etc. Lots of little fixes done, only problems are clutch, rear right wheel bearing (have wheel bearing for both rears, will go with car), sunroof doesn't move, door has closing problem, won't lock on driver's side. Lots of body problems, dings and dents.

One of those cars you'd buy for 3k off of craigslist in order to fix up. That's what I did, and I can't afford to fix it up anymore.

I don't have a bottom price for this car. I'd like at least 500 for it, but if it's worth 2k, then I'd like 2k. I've finally hit rock bottom. Please help.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:15 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

$500 should be doable as a roller since it sounds pretty rough. I'd say 2-3k if the clutch was fixed. Post pics for better opinions.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 PM
RedRose
Racer

Will post pictures later. Probably dragging back to my house later on as well, will see about that. Basically, I'd be willing to part with it for a few hundred, but seeing as you could get quite a bit of money from parting it, I'd like more.

Any offers are accepted. Please let me know if you're interested in purchasing.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:02 PM
poor-sh-nut
Intermediate

You have a very, very, small interested audience when it comes to selling a 944. You may be able to sell it to a salvage yard but you won't get much or you might be able to sell to someone who wants to build a race car. The problem is you have to put so much money into getting one in decent shape-then you can't get close to your money back out of it. These cars you see listed for under 4000.00 are generally need of some sort of costly maintenance of some sort. Even if you can do the work yourself it's still going to be expensive to own one. You will be lucky to get 500.00 out of it the way it sits. If you put another 2500 in it you still have a 1500.00 car if you try to sell it. Better to cut your losses and sell it the way it is or part it out. Another problem is that there are so many junkers out there now being parted out that it's not hardly worth the effort. I have had two 944's in the last 15 years-low mileage nice cars and it took almost two years to sell one. It had only 89M miles, it was an S, no tears in the seats, no dash cracks, I only got 4000.00 for it. The one I have now I have been trying to sell and can't even get a call on it. Once I get rid of it I'm done with 944's. Too much work and expense. You can get more horsepower, almost as good handling, and not near the expense to own in a rice bucket.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 PM
RedRose
Racer

That's what it seems like. It'd be a good project car because it's in decent shape forward of the dashboard. Good shape, even. If I had time, I'd just do the clutch job myself and fix this thing up, but I don't. I'll give it till tomorrow afternoon. If nobody wants it by then, it's going to salvage.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:44 AM
944J
Banned

for me it depends on if its an early 944 (old dash old a-arms) or late 944 (1986 and later)
Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 AM
RedRose
Racer

'84, so early. Shouldn't be any problem with the control arms to my knowledge. Has bad wheel bearing (have part in possession), bad interior, though seats are in decent shape. Could just use some lovin' care to make a great car. Engine is strong, it was very well maintained by last owner.

Quick Reply: Looking to sell roller