Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro (lengthy, and somewhat interesting depending on what else you might have to do.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

I've never noticed any smoke, and the wife says the same. She did, however, mention she thought she smelled something "electrical hot" during her episode yesterday. As much as I hate to throw another variable into the mix, it is what it is.

As always, thanks for the inputs and continually open to suggestions.

EJ
Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Shot in the dark.. collapsing Cat?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an off-the-wall idea - have you checked voltage output from the alternator? Consistently low voltage can damage the DME relay (ask me how I know), interrupting a slew of maps on the board. This likely isn't your issue though, since I would expect voltage to increase at high RPMs on a failing alternator. nevertheless, it's a simple check (see Clark's for that, too), and fairly easy to swap in new brushes to the alternator if Vload is down a bit.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:43 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Thanks again for all the inputs everyone. Weekend weather is supposed to be a bit more tolerable after 2 days with highs in the teens. Will check things that have been suggested. Additionally, I want to check the TPS as a failing switch can result in some (a lot) of the symptoms I've experienced. (Or so I've read.)

Will post updates as the situation warrants!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 AM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Where in CO are you? Maybe try swapping DME's with one that is known to work.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by GTSilver944
Where in CO are you? Maybe try swapping DME's with one that is known to work.
Down in the Springs, but looking forward to heading up north to get together with some fellow 944 junkies as soon as I sort my issues out down here. I've seen the occasional 944 down here, but never had the opportunity to talk to anyone yet.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My thoughts

A fuel pressure gauge install on these cars can help diagnose many problems quickly.

Given the info provided I would

Adjust AFM wiper
Watch FP (possible fuel pump or S-R sensor issue)
Spray starting fluid around to detect vacuum leaks (carefully)
Check rotor and cap for cracks
Jumper the DME relay and see if it eliminates the issue (could be electrical inc relay)
There is also an alarm problem that can cause stumbling

check S-R sensor gap and also all electical connectors associated with SR sensors and Injector clips

If she is smelling electrical burning it could be related or not. I have found that many times these cars have un associated problems at the same time.

Too bad you so far south. I'd have no problem coming over to check it out. If it gets to the point where you can't resolve it, maybe Myself and another lister can come down and help out.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
EJZero1
Pro

I've got the AFM out now, so I'll go ahead and adjust the wiper before I re-seal it and put it back together.

Haven't got a fuel pressure guage, but every job should result in a new tool in the tool box, so a purchase may be on the horizon.

Any feedback on the possibility of the faulty TPS? Haven't got around to checking it yet due to the cold & flu season making a stop at the house. Will try to check it based upon the Clark's Garage test tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the inputs!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:22 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should not be the TPS, the NA variety have a 3 way not a potentiometer type. Idle,mid(uses AFM and rpm), WOT.

I like to keep a gauge installed on the rail.

I have found that you can determine whether the SR sensors, fuel pump, injectors etc.. are the problems very quick if I can see whether there is pressure at the rail or not
Old 01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Adjusted the wiper "north" and reinstalled the AFM. Didn't have time to take her out of the garage to see if it changed anything, but at least she started up again. Decided to post a pic of the harness near the AFM plug. Apparently the work of the PO. Any chance this could contribute to my bogging issues?

And the obligatory pics to keep the "where-are-the-pics?" police at bay, and prove I actually do own one of these little German money pits! More to follow next time she ventures out of the garage...
Attached Images    
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Update, for what it's worth. Haven't experienced the bogging issue since I've reinstalled the AFM, but the issue has gone away for a week or so in the past only to resurface, so I'm keeping the victory cheer minimal at this point. Going to pull the throttle body to check the TPS soon so I went ahead and ordered the re-seal kit from paragon. Figure it can't hurt as long as I've got things taken apart.

Took her out for a romp today enjoying the drive and beautiful weather. Parked her in the garage as as my wife gets out she says, "She smells hot!" So I get out and sniff around. Smells like hot brakes/clutch coming from the front. I smell around the brakes and smell nothing. Focusing more in the engine compartment, my nose leads me to a smell that seems to be coming up from near the rear of the engine...you know...where a hot clutch smell might come from. Clutch feels fine, car shifts great and pulls hard with no feeling of slipping. Adjustment issue? Guess I'll spend some time using the "search" feature around here! In the meantime, appreciate any vector.

A few more pics to make my "Intro" thread complete. She's pretty clean and solid, and evokes an ear-to-ear grin everytime I drive her. In the market for black/linen dash if anyone has a spare just laying around!
Attached Images    
Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Patomic wrote; "Funny that you posted about the big bucks the prior owner put into the car. These old P-cars basically get handed down from one guy to another, leaving behind a wake of four-digit repair invoices. I remember when I bought mine, I went through the repair records, and saw how the prior owner had put about $4,000 into it in the prior year. I thought, "Sucker. He pays for these repairs, his wife yells at him to sell the junker, and now I get to buy it!"

Well, a couple years later (yesterday) my wife is reaming me out over a $3,500 repair bill, which when added to the $2,000 clutch I put in in the Spring, well exceeds the tab that the prior owner paid. It would only be fitting for me to hand the keys to the next mid-life sucker! (But I know better.) "

Greg, enjoyed this post.

with my car, the previous owner had an ungodly maintenance/repair record totalling almost 12 k when i purchased his 968 at 77k miles. now, i've got just about $16 K more in maintenance, performance and consmetic upgrades and next month doing about $3.5 k more on doing the belts, front seals, cam chain, H20 pump and all front suspension rubber. this is all my advanced work leading up to my supercharger install... it's my favorite car i've ever had (except for my 928) which had even more ungodly maintenance/repair bills when i finally sold it...

(sold to a gentleman with deep pockets in the hopes that his son would become more interested in "something")...

Zero,

i guess what i'm tryin' to say is that like many of the guys you'll find here, i've been on both sides of the money. still, i consider myself fortunate to be able to own one of the finest of these cars. best luck !
Old 01-17-2010, 09:47 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by odurandina

Zero,

i guess what i'm tryin' to say is that like many of the guys you'll find here, i've been on both sides of the money. still, i consider myself fortunate to be able to own one of the finest of these cars. best luck !
Thanks much! Spent the better part of the last 15 years building and rebuilding air-cooled VWs. Enjoying the learning curve and new experiences with the 944 now!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

you should look very closely at all the likely causes mentioned. an aftermarket cat will probably also do wonders.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Ordered the throttle body rebuild kit and finally had time to tackle the job this weekend. Real straight forward project that took maybe 4 hours total, first to last screw. Buttoned her all back up, crossed my fingers and turned the key. Fired right up and immediately settled into a nice solid idle. Idles maybe 50 or so RPM higher than before the job, but it didn't have time to warm up (just ran it in the garage) so I'm anxious to see how she acts on the road. I did notice that the r's drop slower after letting off the throttle now, and the "stumble" is gone from the bottom, which is nice, but again will wait til the first road test to celebrate the advantages.

Checked the TPS while I had the throttle body off and it checked out OK.

Next projects are to install a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and replumb the vaccuum lines. Paragon has what looks to be a decent fuel pressure gauge that I'm planning on going with. Anyone else gone with this one or similar rail mounted set up? Vaccuum line kit will probably come from Lindsey.

Hope everyone else got some good quality garage time in this weekend!

Quick Reply: Intro (lengthy, and somewhat interesting depending on what else you might have to do.