Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting the Doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Gutting the Doors

I am in the process of gutting the doors on my car for installation of a cage with NASCAR door bar. I have the door panels and the door lock mechanism off. How do I remove the window motor and glass?

TIA
Old 12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roll window halfway down, yank up firmly on the glass and it just seperates from the rail. then just unbolt the regulator and slide it out one of the rear holes on the door.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:14 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Nader, You may want to take a cut off wheel and trim out around the perimeter of the door. I'm guessing that someone else will be installing the cage...the more room you give them, the better. My installer didn't have enough room and wasn't too careful about making cuts into the door. I'd leave an inch lip that you can then finish with a dull edge or plastic trim. Will you be joining us in any events in NC?
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krystar
roll window halfway down, yank up firmly on the glass and it just seperates from the rail. then just unbolt the regulator and slide it out one of the rear holes on the door.
Does this mean that the window is not secured to any thing? I can hook up the switch and try. Does the glass fit through the frame?

Originally Posted by 968gene
Nader, You may want to take a cut off wheel and trim out around the perimeter of the door. I'm guessing that someone else will be installing the cage...the more room you give them, the better. My installer didn't have enough room and wasn't too careful about making cuts into the door. I'd leave an inch lip that you can then finish with a dull edge or plastic trim. Will you be joining us in any events in NC?

Hi Gene,

I am going to use a sawzall after I get everything out. Not sure about my schedule next year, but VIR will be as far south as I would likely get. I am thinking about Mosport as my long haul trip, but nothing firm yet. Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

I would recommend a 4" cut-off wheel to cut the panel out of the inner door. A sawzall will be like trying to hacksaw something that is not firmly anchored down...essentially just moving the material back and forth, rather than cutting.

Here's my door gut job:
http://www.brooksbabies.com/porsche/inst11.htm
Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

i love the color scheme on that 924
Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by genikz
I would recommend a 4" cut-off wheel to cut the panel out of the inner door. A sawzall will be like trying to hacksaw something that is not firmly anchored down...essentially just moving the material back and forth, rather than cutting.

Here's my door gut job:
http://www.brooksbabies.com/porsche/inst11.htm
Thanks for the link. I'll have to remove the glass and other stuff and then schedule a trip to Lowe's to use my gift card for an angle grinder

BTW, it looks like I'll have to relocate the "door opening" handle as mine is in the middle of the door.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:09 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Does this mean that the window is not secured to any thing? I can hook up the switch and try. Does the glass fit through the frame?
it's not secured as in the glass is not bolted down to the regulator no. it's a rubber lining friction fitted inside a metal channel.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

it's not secured as in the glass is not bolted down to the regulator no. it's a rubber lining friction fitted inside a metal channel.
Windows are out, but I guess S2s are different. I had to remove the bolts that hold the power window arms to get the glass out. The bottom of the glass has two rails that the arms fit into. Once I removed the bolts, the glass was lose. Next is cutting the door panel. I really like your idea of putting a trim around the cut.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Nader,

As it so happens, I just replaced my passenger side door so I needed to gut it. Here's after I pulled the window and cut the panel with a cut-off tool.

Next I relocated the door pull and then trimmed out the raw edges with the same trim that is used around the door sills. The door glass is just lying in there now as I slide it back up and pin it when I leave the car out. When racing I just pull the whole glass out for the day.

Hope to see you out at the track next year at some of the 44Cup events.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

BTW, it looks like I'll have to relocate the "door opening" handle as mine is in the middle of the door.
I did not leave much metal at the top of the door and therefore could not mount the door handle there. Mine is mounted to the metal bar in the middle of the door.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I unhook the regulator's sliders from the part that holds the glass. Then you can pull the glass up about 1/2 way by hand, and tilt it towards the door hinges, and it'll come clear from the rails.

Then you just unbolt the regulator and wiggle it out of the largest opening.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Must be different on early 944's. My 87 951 windows are definitely bolted to the regulator track.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemming
I did not leave much metal at the top of the door and therefore could not mount the door handle there. Mine is mounted to the metal bar in the middle of the door.
I already gutted both doors and cut the passenger side. I did not cut as high on the top and actually left the door pull where it was on my 91 S2 and cut around it. If the door bar can fit in current configuration, I'll leave the door pull where it is, otherwise, I'll move it.

BTW Chris, do you leave the window rails in? I plan to cut lexan to put in the window while transporting. Meesing with the glass worries me. I also have to figure out how much of the wiring to move. I like my power mirrors
Old 01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW Chris, do you leave the window rails in? I plan to cut lexan to put in the window while transporting. Meesing with the glass worries me. I also have to figure out how much of the wiring to move. I like my power mirrors
Yeah I left the rails in, I keep the glass in the car when transporting - unlike you I have an enclosed trl so they don't need to be up when going to the track. The rails keep the glass nice and snug and don't really weigh anything.

In my glass the bottom metal piece is still attached to the glass. I just drilled a hole through the door and through the bottom metal part of the window and pin through the holes to keep the glass up when paddocked.

I wouldn't have any problem with transporting with the window glass in place. When up and pinned they are locked in the door window channels. And it was cheaper than buying and cutting lexan since I already had the windows.

Quick Reply: Gutting the Doors